PDA

View Full Version : Stride Rite money saving alternatives?

KBecks
07-26-2005, 07:05 PM
Alek has gone barefoot nearly all his life. He is starting to pull to stand and just start to cruise. I plan to get shoes only when he starts his outdoor walking.

I'm seeing Stride Rite prices as $30 to $40ish, which is more than we'd like to spend on a single pair of shoes.

Where would you recommend shopping for shoes in the $25 and less price range?

Thanks,

dules
07-26-2005, 07:35 PM
Honestly, I'd recommend skimping elsewhere and spending the $30 - $40 on a good pair of shoes for a first walker. There are other brands than Stride Rite but they will all set you back at least this amount.

Once your child is a good, comfortable walker, it's OK to buy shoes at Target etc. but to start out it's so important that the shoe fit well, be made well, support correctly, etc..

Hope this helps.

Best,
Mary

P.S. Robeez or other soft shoes are nice for indoors in winter. Cruisers (and walkers) tend to slip in socks.

pritchettzoo
07-26-2005, 07:49 PM
If you google for www.shoebuy.com coupons and use ebates, you can get Stride Rites shipped in the $25 range. Also, we've had good luck at Stride Rite outlets. And the regular stores have buy one get one half off sales periodically--should be one soon with back-to-school coming up.

I've gotten DD really flexible (important!) Keds "Scooter" shoes that are always at the SR/Keds outlet for $15 several times: http://www.keds.com/images/us/local/products/altview/detail/011210_1_alv.jpg

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03) and Eli (July '05)

MaddiesMommy
07-26-2005, 07:49 PM
Hi,

There are definitely alternative ways to find Stride Rites for less. If you have an outlet store nearby, they have a pretty good selection of the previous year's collection. I think most of the outlet shoes range from $20-$30. Also, shoebuy.com carries Stride Rites and they frequently have coupon codes for 20% off which make their prices very reasonable. Plus they offer free shipping and free returns/exchanges. HTH! Good luck!

Janine

KBecks
07-26-2005, 08:05 PM
We could buy full price SRs sometimes, but I'm concerned about the constant growing out of his shoes. Good point about starting with something good quality and well fitted.

I'm also very interested in the outlets and shopping sites mentioned by other posters.

KBecks
07-26-2005, 08:21 PM
I did some research and found we have an outlet within an hour drive, which is doable. The shoebuy site also looks good, thanks!

ethansmom
07-26-2005, 08:38 PM
I'm planning a trip to our SR outlet and am hoping they will have the Merrell Jungle Mocs sold in the store last year. I picked up DS's first pair last year in the SR store for $30 and was thrilled with them. They only come in whole sizes, so they last that much longer. Even though DS was a new walker and fell/dragged his toe sometimes, they looked brand new.

We also loved the Keds Scooter style and hope to pick up the next size for fall. Very flexible, available in wide widths, washable, and the rubber at the toe is great for preventing scuffs.

Oh ya, Marshall's etc often have SR shoes for a good price. However, if you need a wide, they are few and far between, at least at our store.

jacobmatias
07-26-2005, 08:45 PM
There is also a great chain of discount kids stores called "Priceless Kids". It is worth checking out if you have one nearby. They usually have a lot of SR shoes at about $10 each. I got my daughter SR first walking shoes there for $10 and loved them.

jadamom
07-26-2005, 08:46 PM
I also do the Stride Rite outlets, shoebuy.com coupon codes, as well as ebay (NWT, NIP, NIB or New With Tag, New In Package, New In Box). I've heard you can get them at Marshall's, TJ Maxx, or Nordstrom's Rack, but I haven't had any luck there myself.

SAHMommie
07-26-2005, 09:48 PM
For a new walker I would reccomend preschoolians walking barefoot or See Kai Run. These are both very soft and flexible shoes but have protection for the bottom of the foot. They are both in the $30 - $40 range. I cant think of any "good" ones less than that.

P.S. The SKR's are only good for wide or xw feet.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/Seshop/SAHMommie.gif

dules
07-26-2005, 10:11 PM
Hi, sorry not to be clear. I do think the first pair should be fitted to your child (i.e. not purchased online or at a store where they do not have experienced, certified fitters). However, you could always get him fitted and then buy the exact same shoe online or at a bargain chain.

Best,
Mary

bluestar2
07-27-2005, 02:33 AM
wow those keds are cute! ebates has 5% cashback now for shoebuy.com. Where can I check for their coupons? TIA!

KBecks
07-27-2005, 12:56 PM
Just curious on opinions, thanks.

nitaghei
07-27-2005, 01:01 PM
HORRID.

Very stiff soles.

No way I'd put any of those shoes on DS. I am really, really cheap ( I shop the clearance racks pretty much exclusively), but I just suck it up and pay $40 or more for DS's shoes. Stride Rite is the bare minimum I consider acceptable flexiblity for new walkers or toddlers.

After a while, the sticker shock does wear off. :) DS never has more than two pairs at a time - that's all I can afford.

Nita (fleece is my friend)
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a PWD and a cocker (at the Rainbow Bridge)

mattiew
07-27-2005, 01:33 PM
As PP have mentioned Keds, we love them!

Carrie