PDA

View Full Version : Anyone see the article in Money Magazine?

reyn74
07-29-2005, 08:45 AM
It was about a compulsive shopper, and what she bought was Gymbo clothes for her 3yo girl. It was a good reminder to me not to go overboard, ugh.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/07/20/pf/shopper_0508/index.htm

-Sarah and 3 boys

dules
07-29-2005, 09:17 AM
Interesting article. It's amazing how it spun out of control for her so quickly.

I know that for me, not having a job for the first time in my adult life, it's been a hard adjustment not being able to buy all the clothes I'd like to for DD. I have to constantly remind myself, and make choices...we can have a few outfits from Hanna or Gymboree or whatever, but the others are going to be The Children's Place, Target, etc...or Naartjie basics since their price point is the same as TCP ($10/each for basic pants or tops) but (IMO) the quality is higher.

I'm sure I feel the urge to buy less when I spend less time on these boards and loops! Maybe we need to start a "frugal challenge" thread here, for mamas who are trying to curb spending or change their spending habits (regardless of income or situation)? Not sure how that would work but it might be fun...?

Best,
Mary

jadamom
07-29-2005, 10:23 AM
Wow--that's scary. Maybe she could sell all those 18-gallon tubs of Gymboree clothes on ebay. That should help out with some of their debt!

*edited to fix typo

KBecks
07-29-2005, 11:44 AM
I agree, this mama needs to get Ebay savvy fast and unload a lot of those clothes.

However, she has to SELL on ebay, not buy!

AngelaS
07-29-2005, 12:39 PM
Actually Kristine is an eBay seller. And buyer. She's actually a very nice woman. I know her thru the loops and she just got in a bit over her head. :)

supercalifragilous
07-29-2005, 12:45 PM
Yikes. Snaps things back into perspective for me, especially after having redeemed 6 Gymbucks last weekend...

Very interesting article.

C99
07-29-2005, 03:16 PM
Mary,

I am so glad that you posted that. I am going on my own personal RL challenge to not buy stuff in August. It will be HARD, especially as all the new fall stuff comes out, but I also realized that I am shopping to fill some kind of need and I should find something else to do w/ my time and money.

LogansMommy
07-30-2005, 09:10 AM
Hmm- what is the name of her 'recovery' website ;-) Anyone know?

AngelaS
07-30-2005, 10:22 AM
It's a yahoo loop. Search Gymboree recovery and you should find it. :D