PDA

View Full Version : How far ahead is it reasonable to buy?

KBecks
07-29-2005, 11:46 AM
There is an ebay outfit that I am contemplating for DS, but it is a size 4T and Alek is only 9 mos?

If it's attractive now, will I still like it in 3 years? Keep in mind that boy's clothing probably does not trend as much as girls.

There will probably be plenty of other opportunities but if I can get a good deal now, it might be worth it?

or am I gettting clothing obsessed?

leeming
07-29-2005, 11:57 AM
Personally, I'd wait - I'm sure there will be outfits that are just as cute or cuter in 3 years! And by then, you may either forget you have it, or your tastes may have changed ... or your DS may decide he ONLY wants to wear things that are green (or whatever)!

Then again, I'm just feeling a little burned - I bought ahead for the summer and fall, but he's not growing quite as much as I thought and everything is too big! :-(

reyn74
07-29-2005, 12:10 PM
Well, the benifit of buying an outfit that big is it will probably work at some point, being as once they get to be 2 or so they aren't growing another size every season. However, there's still a chance it won't work when you want it to, as he might have a big growth spurt at any time, and even skip a size. My kids pretty much follow the correct years for sizes, so when they are 4 they wear a 4 or 4T, but my kids are also quite tiny, and grow slowly.

Aside from size issues, my issue would be that I would forget about the outfit, then find it when it was too late. If you have a good organizational system, then that might not be a problem for you. I know there were quite a few hand me downs over the years that I had in bigger sizes that never got worn, because I lost them or forgot, but I also have 3 boys to keep track of, so that is a lot of clothes.

I'd say if your taste is pretty classic, and the outfit is, you'll probably still like it. But if your taste is more trendy, ie falling in love with the new line at gymbo, you might be more interested in something new at the time. If it is an outfit that you absolutely adore, the right colors, or your favorite animal or design, etc. then go for it.

I bought ahead a lot last year for this fall, when my baby will most likely be walking. I got him some cowboy things which I am really excited for him to wear, and a couple of outfits that were on sale, which I sort of wish I had not. For instance, I got him a one piece fleece outfit from Gymbo with a Husky on it (for like $5). At the time I was choosing between that and the hedgehog outfit which he had in size 0-3 (which was a few bucks more), and I thought maybe I'd like the Husky one better since he had already had the hedgehog one. Now I wish I'd just gotten that hedgehog outfit, because it was my favorite of his newborn clothes. So now I'll just have to console myself with a bright orange kangaroo one piece, lol. And I'm sure he'll wear the husky outfit too, I'm just not as excited about it, you know?

-Sarah and Orion 8-26-04

nitaghei
07-29-2005, 02:09 PM
Depends. FWIW, DS is wearing 4T in several brands right now - and he's two and a half. He's relatively tall, but not off the charts or anything. So you may not have to wait three years. Even so, I generally only buy one year ahead. So far that's worked out. There's always more cute stuff, and tastes do change. And DS already has opinions on what he wants to wear.

So, short answer, I wouldn't buy a 4T outfit for a 9 month old.

Nita (fleece is my friend)
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a PWD and a cocker (at the Rainbow Bridge)

C99
07-29-2005, 03:12 PM
I will only bed 1 year ahead and that is mostly to take advantage of sales. Styles change, your tastes will change, and your baby's clothing preferences will change (or come out) as well.

jadamom
07-29-2005, 08:52 PM
I usually will buy 1 or maybe 2 years in advance, and only if it's a really great sale price. Things you love this year may seem a little outdated by the time your DC can wear it in a few years. Another thing to consider is that in some brands (like Gymboree), size 4T may be cut for toddlers (big belly and big diaper bottom), whereas size 4 may not be. Also, I made a mistake by buying a lot of pants with a zipper and button at the fly in size 2T, which could not be used at all because we were potty-training at the time and the elastic-waisted pants were so much easier.

mainepotato
07-30-2005, 11:37 AM
I wouldn't buy a whole wardrobe in advance, but one outfit that I really like? Sure! Even if you're not in love with it in three years, you'll probably still like it and be able to use it.

DD#2 is due in October and I have boxes of DD#1's clothes up to sz 4 just waiting for her. DD#2 will get some new, trendy things of her own of course, but what's the harm in having some classic older outfits too?

FWIW, DD#1 wore sz 4T last year when she was 2.5. At age 3.5 she's now in 5's and starting on 6's. She was always true-to-size in clothes until 12-18mo and then she just sprouted right up!

Tricia
Ava 9/5/01
edd 10/7/05

amp
07-30-2005, 12:51 PM
Like Nita's son, my son is 2 and he wears a some combination of 2T, 3T and 4T, so you likely won't have to wait for him to be 4 to wear it. If it's just one item and you like it and it's a great deal, get it. I wouldn't buy a lot that far ahead, but I've always found that if I reall like something, I like to take the chance on it, or I keep thinking about it and regret not getting it. Maybe that's just me.

kransden
08-01-2005, 12:07 PM
I usually buy mostly summer stuff in advance for the next season. If it is too long in the leg or sleeve what can you do? Summer sizing isn't as big of a deal. I will so buy items I just love. What sucked me into to gymbo was the Leaping Lily Pads line. Dd was in the 6-12 mos size. When it was clearanced I bought several 18-24 mos and size 3. DD is now in a 3 and is wearing most of it. I also have an area of the closet where the older age/unworn clothes are. Every season I go through it and pull out the new clothes and that really helps. So it depends on how much you like it and and how good of a deal it is.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02