PDA

View Full Version : mini Boden toddler boy sizing...any experience?

nicknack
07-29-2005, 12:42 PM
Hoping to buy a few things from the fall catalogue, but wanted to check here on sizing. Brooks will be 2 in November, is about 27 pounds and maybe 34 inches tall? Although I honestly have no clue about the height, think I have to measure him.

Anyway, I'm mainly looking at shirts for him, but maybe a few pants. They say that the 2-3 year sizes should fit all the way up to 3, so I feel like for the fall they'd be huge, but then again, would `8-24 be too small?...any suggestions?

Thanks!
Nicole

nathansmom
07-29-2005, 12:50 PM
Well I placed my order and it should be here next week and I can comment then. However my 2 1/2 year is quite small and I bought 18-24 months. I have a feeling the pants are going to be huge on him. He weighs about 22 lbs and is probably 33 inches. His waist is just under 13 inches. I figure as long as the legs are long enough I'll deal with finding a belt. He fits in Gymbo and Gap size 12-18 months with very little growing room but the 18-24 months drown him.

momto2boys
07-29-2005, 02:19 PM
I placed my order a couple of day ago and called there customer service number because I had quite a few sizing questions. My DS is 3 1/2, about 40 inches tall and weighs 39 pounds give or take a few ounces. I was prepared to order size 5-6 for him based on there sizing suggestion but ordered size 2-3 after talking to a customer service manager named Debbie. She said that the shirts are cut very generously because the style today is to wear things baggier versus more fitted. If you look at the garment measurements (the link is below the picture) you'll see how generously cut their shirts are. For example, one of the shirts I ordered was 29.5" in the chest and my DS's chest measurement is 22" so we would have 7.5" of extra fabric in the chest area. Also, the length of the shirt would have hit him below his behind because he measures 16" from the nape of his neck to his hip and the length off the shirt was 19 or 20" long. Apparently, according to Debbie, their pants are truer to the sizing suggestions that they offer on the site.

I got free shipping for returns so I also ordered one of the shirts in a size 3-4 so I could compare against the 2-3 sizing. I did the same with the moleskin jeans and baggies so I'll let you know how they fit when I get them. I'll post pictures if I've gotten my new digital camera by the time the order arrives.

HTH,
Kathy

hjdong
07-29-2005, 05:49 PM
Hmmm, I'm not sure you'll be happy with the 2-3 depending on which shirts you got. Now, I didn't do all the measuring you did, so bear with me. But, DS is 3, he's between 37-38" and about 34 lbs. He is short legged, so all his height is pretty much in his torso. He generally wears a size 3, maybe a 4 top, depending on the company. I have placed one previous order from them and ordered 3-4.

The woven, button down tops were huge, outrageous, ridiculous and continue to sit in his closet. The t-shirts fit a little big, but pretty much fine, and then shrunk when they were washed, so fit about right. I even argued with myself about whether to order 5-6 t-shirts this time for him. But I was concerned about the length of the arm (and got free returns as well) so thought I would get the 3-4 again.

But I would definately agree with the customer service that the woven sirts are enormous. I mean there's baggy and then there's "hello, are you in there?"

The pants I got size 3-4 as well, all elastic waist and purposely able to roll the cuff, but like I said, he has short little legs. And they do seem to fit like most of the other pants seem to fit him.

momto2boys
07-29-2005, 06:18 PM
Holly,

Thanks for the info! Thank goodness I have free shipping on returns because it sounds like I'll be exchanging a few things. It sounds like our little guys are built similarly - long torso and short legs.

Do the jersey shirts shrink alot? I'll probably be better off with a larger size if they do. Also, are the elastic waist pants baggy? DS is pretty skinny (think Mr. Salty) and DH and I can't stand sloppy, oversized clothes on him.

hjdong
07-30-2005, 12:21 PM
As I recall (and it's been awhile since I got the last order) the shirts shrank quite a bit. I think he wore them once, and I was a little concerned about how large they were, thinking I would put them away for next year, washed them, and they fit, IMO, fine, with some growing room. It's why I was concerned about buying the same size this time. He still has some growing room, but will it be enough for a whole season? I'm not really sure. I wish they had a 4-5, instead of going right to a 5-6, because I just know that's going to be huge (you should see the 3-4 woven shirt -ha!).

The pants elastic waist pants fit his waist perfectly, as in, the elastic does not stretch at all but holds without sagging at all. I would not call them baggy, but they are certainly not fitted. I would say that they fit him similiarly to how they looked like they fit the model, sort of a chino fit (although not style). Also, I don't know if I'm the best to assess baggy. DS suddenly went from chunky to fairly skinny (no Mr. Salty, but you can see ribs and vertebrae and instead of worrying about having a big enough waist I have to worry in the other direction) and pants which I had bought ahead (moslty Gymbo which used to be a perfect fit) now has to be cinched on with a belt. Poor DS walks around in too big pants a lot recently. How do you moms of skinny kids find clothes that fit?