PDA

View Full Version : Affording Hanna?? Need some ways!

cutelilbmw
09-27-2005, 10:45 PM
I had a question how do SAHM"s afford Hanna? Do you guys sell on Ebay after using them, just save money on other things ? IS your DH' mad after seeing the bill? Just needed some creative ideas.With the release of new lines it is hard mantaining self control! I am afraid of being the next Gymboree lady who made up a 50K credit card balance by buying just Gymboree!!

Edensmum
09-27-2005, 11:28 PM
I am a stay at home mom, I spent way to much with the code.
I am planning some ebay. I also have found that the zippers are by far the best design for pjs for us. No feet and a zipper meets all our needs. Plus, if you get them for $20 that's not that bad considering that they last so well and they have the room to grow, so with HA you are in one size a lot longer than the 3-6, 6-9. 12-18 month etc
You can use one size in HA so much longer it really isn't as expensive as it seems.
Now the dresses are the same way, but it is easy to get really carried away.
Eden 9/04

bricorssk
09-27-2005, 11:42 PM
I have become very picky with brands that I buy. I used to buy Gymboreee and other stuff because I liked it now I only buy the brands I LOVE like J&J and Hanna. That way I'm not spending a ton everywhere. I do sell somethings on ebay but not really any clothes yet.

s7714
09-28-2005, 12:33 AM
I've started buying more Hannas now that I have a second girl to pass things down to. A $38 pair of long johns that hold up for 1+ seasons for two separate kids ends up being about $19 per kid, which is what I was spending on cheaper pjs that wore out after one season. I do plan to eventually sell my Hannas and Gymbo on ebay, but only after both kids have gone through them.

I buy a lot of my DDs' play clothing at places like Target and Kohl's. I know that $30 pair of leggings from Hanna might last through both kids, but once you add in wash wear, stains, etc., I'd rather just buy a couple pairs of cheaper ones and not feel guilty if they don't look to great at the end of the season!

Jennifer
Mommy to
Annalia 3/03
Sophia 6/05

When raising kids the days are oh so long, but the years are short.--John Leguizamo

jhmom
09-28-2005, 12:40 AM
I don't allow myself to buy any Hanna stuff at regular price. If it's on sale, I buy it if I LOVE it and tell myself I can sell it on ebay for almost as much as I paid for it.
I have also had some great luck at garage sales, craigslist and resale shops. I have bought 4 Hanna zippers this summer at garage sales for $1-$2 each. I even scored shorts, matching tank top and floppy hat in LIKE NEW condition for $3 for the set. I usually think resale shops are overpriced, but if you find good condition Hanna stuff it's worth the price because you can always re-sell it. Beware... once you start buying Hanna, it is addictive!! Kerri

spanannie
09-28-2005, 12:47 AM
I need to sell some extra clothes on swap. I have NWT clothing that I bought DD, and she never got to wear. However, finding the time to take pictures and list, seems impossible.

I'd sell my old Hannas, but I find it impossible to part with them...what if I have child #3?

There are a lot of things I want on the HA site right now...as much for myself as for DD. I need to wait a while, though; I did too much damage already with the code.

HannaAddict
09-28-2005, 01:46 AM
I am lucky to live relatively close (within 30-40 minutes) to an outlet. I rarely buy anything at full price and actually like the outlet store better than our local full price HA. The Hanna we have has worn so well and has the seemingly magical ability to grow with my big toddler, that it is worth it. Since I have a boy, I don't buy a ton of cute dresses, etc. but several turtlesuits, rompers, a fleece coat that was on sale, etc. He's worn the fleece coat since he was about 7 months and he can still wear it at 18 months! The zippers seem to have this feature too. How is this possible I wonder.

I buy regular play pants and jeans at Old Navy only on sale, and at Target, the Cherokee brand at full or sale price, to mix with more expensive Hanna and other tops. I don't try to keep his clothes nice for eBay but he wears them hard and eventually donate to family services or keep in my stash of cute things I can't bear to part with.

Kimberly

Beth568
09-28-2005, 06:00 AM
I wait for the sales, shop at the outlet, and resell things if they're still in good condition (which they usually are). And I'm more comfortable new buying playdresses because I know my second DD will wear them.

But I do feel panicky sometimes when I look at my kids closets...

dules
09-28-2005, 08:15 AM
EBay is great for those outfits that only get worn once or twice. See what sells well (playdresses, holiday outfits, fleece jackets). Also basics sell well if they're in good shape, but honestly if you can get them with a code or on sale, they're worth the $ IMO and I hate to chase my DD around trying to keep her clean. So I don't count on eBaying those, but if I can, great.

Matching sets are big, if you have the turtleneck, sweater and pants for example. Someone will have wanted it the year before and missed it at clearance and be very happy to give you 50% or more of your original investment.

A roster of what your child will wear is a way to help you gain/maintain control.

Hope that helps....

Best,
Mary

ILoveLT
09-28-2005, 10:03 AM
The ability to buy what I want is what keeps me a working mom. This way, DH never sees the bill. To buy clothes, you need money. You can make money from home. Take a look at http://www.mompreneursonline.com for some ideas. Even if I didn't work outside the home, I would do something from home to make money so I can buy Hannas and other stuff I want and need. There are some people who make a living selling things on ebay. Someone once told me money is freedom and it is very true!

C99
09-28-2005, 03:17 PM
I am a SAHM and my kids wardrobes are about 25-60% Hanna. Here are my tips and tricks:

- I only buy on sale. For HA, this usually means at the twice/year sale in January or June. I buy ahead for the next year and put things away for that time. If I am off on the sizes, I just list things for the price I paid on the BBB Swap. I've never had a HA item not sell this way, but if it did, then I would just return it.

- I hit the HA outlet when I drive past. Sometimes the deals are good on kids clothes and sometimes they aren't. I know people who also shop mail order via the outlets when there are sales and that's a good way of doing it if you don't live near an outlet.

- I buy used HA items on the BBB Swap.

I also tend to sell some HA items when I am done with them.

kcimato
09-28-2005, 03:48 PM
I buy Hannas for my grandchildren and here is how I play the game.Like the PP I only buy on sale and with the code. Normally this means the twice a year sale. Sometimes they have specials and I will buy but only if there is a code also. The last sale I ended up with 2 playdresses and the flowerbox dress and one other dress that she will wear this fall and winter. I also get only those zippers that are on sale. Yes, they are last years but most people don't know that. With the code this time around I bought the sale zippers and 2 pair of capris that were on sale plus the 20% code. It is always tempting to buy when they first come out with the new HA but don't do it. Also, just buy one or 2 things. It is a good way to start.

spanannie
09-28-2005, 03:54 PM
I started buying HA last year when DD was born. Now it makes up a large part of DD and DS' wardrobe.

I have several dresses/zippers from last season...including Christmas and Chicka Chicka.

Should I save them in case of hypothetical DC #3 or go ahead and sell them? Who even knows if DC #3 will happen at this point, since we haven't even agreed if we want another...and who knows what gender it would be either?

I always wonder if I should hang on to these things? I'd probably want to buy a new Christmas dress anyhow.

Opinions?

shishamo
09-28-2005, 04:23 PM
My kids closet were 50-75% hannas last year, and this is how I did it:
1) only buy things on sale for next year. No exceptions.
2) only buy things that you love, unless it's basics like zippers that you will use because of practicality.
3) ebay
4) outlet
5) swap

Do you know what sells well in ebay? If I think it will do well, then I am more likely to get them if I'm on the fence about it.

After the season, look thru the closet, and make two piles: sell next year pile and keep pile (and donate pile for things that are not worth it).

aliceinwonderland
09-28-2005, 08:56 PM
heh, it's easy for me 'cause I can't stand most of Hana's things that people rave about(the zippers, for one thing freak me aout, esp. the whole family dressed in stripes pictures!). The few things I have liked I have always bought on sale :)

i do agree on their longevity, however :) I am not a SAHM, but we do live on one income.

pritchettzoo
09-28-2005, 09:36 PM
I'm confused by your question because I thought you were a doctor and not a SAHM. Personally as a SAHM I am a little offended by the assumption that my DH controls the spending or the implication that I have to justify my finances in some way. There are lots of WOHMs here as well as SAHMs. I don't see how whether or not a mom works has anything to do with purchasing Hanna Andersson clothing. But maybe I'm reading the question wrong? If you're really looking for ways to fit Hanna into a tight clothing budget (regardless of your "working" status), there have been some really good suggestions made.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03) and Eli (July '05)

kaitlinsmommy
09-28-2005, 09:45 PM
I wasn't offended but kinda thought the same thing. I stay home but also pay all the bills and, while dh would never have any idea about what I spend on the kids' clothes if I didn't want him to, I always show him my purchases so he can tell me how cute they are. I feel pretty equal about our roles and can't imagine him questioning me about any money I spend - ever.

caridura
09-29-2005, 08:11 AM
I've only recently taken the HA plunge and that was because I used the code. I just hate to pay full price! Other good options are eBay and a swap group to get used clothes (sometimes even new) at lower prices.

I've started to sell DD's clothes on eBay since I just keep buying and buying. I figure if I want to keep buying for her, I need to make back some money somehow. It's a good way to make a little extra $.

KBecks
09-29-2005, 11:21 AM
I'm a SAHM (work just a little p/t), and I don't buy Hannas.

A lot of DS clothes come from resale shops (although I have now started buying a little bit at Gymbo).

I purchased 2 HA shirts on Ebay, and very much liked the one that my son fits into.

I've discovered that we're in the stage where clothes get stained, and so I can't count on resale. I thought I would resale our Robeez and they are now just too worn to make anything significant on resale.

So, my strategy is to buy used and cheap, to buy at sales (Gymbo) and to try and control my purchases so we're not getting a lot of new clothes (but ones that are bought new, I love).

cutelilbmw
09-29-2005, 01:14 PM
Sorry i am confused with your answer!
Yes I am a Dr but I am asking this question for my sister who is SAHM and loves my son's clothes but can't afford them for her own.My son is younger than her's so I can't do the hand me down thing.she always envies me and keeps saying she wished she worked so she could buy the same for her son.I try giving her gifts but she gets offended if I do that.I am trying to see how you SAHM moms can do it so I can give her advise and that is it! I don't know why are you offeneded by little things that bear no meanings.Even my huband will question my purchases if I go overboard (Being a Working mom doesn't mean I can spend all my pay on Hanna) so there is nothing wrong in asking if DH is mad if you purchase too much!

snowangel
09-29-2005, 03:19 PM
I am a working mommy (in a dual income family) currently on Mat. leave and my DH gets VERY upset if I spend too much on the kid's clothes. I don't blame him. I mean, I could just go to Walmartor Sears and clothe them quite sufficiently from there. So, we do have our battles about how much I spend on the clothes. I think I am in the minority according to the responses here though.

From, Melanie
Mommy to Tyler and Caitlin

TahliasMom
09-29-2005, 03:38 PM
I was a SAHM until recently but I only work part time. This is my opinion so hope it doesn't offend anyone. I don't spend much on clothes because DD never stays more than 3-4 months in one size and she goes thru 2-3 outfits a day because she's a messy toddler. I rather take that $40 bucks for jeans or sweater and spent it on a good pair of shoes becuase I know DD will get tons of wear from it. Plus it's a PITA to get stains out of that pretty crap, not to mention the cold wash and dreft deal. waste of time and more money. and the whole reselling thing to me is one big headache. i save what I love for #2 and the rest I just donate. Just me.
When DD's older I will invest some money in her clothes but right now it doesn't make sense at all. Not to say that I don't buy her cute clothes but it's usually one or two outfits from a line, always on sale. i look at longevity vs cutesy stuff that she's only get to wear few times ie l.l.bean zippers, etc. i can't handle hannah stuff. but most of her stuff is either given to her (SILs and Baby Gap, my mom and her speciality botiques) and the rest I purchase at outlets. We make a big Carter, Osh Kosh and Baby Gap run every 3-4 months and mostly end up getting Carter's because they wash and wear well and some pieces are dressy. And $200+ later I have enough clothes to last DD the next few months.
And thanks to BBB moms, I started buying Target and Old Navy for play clothes.
And even with her inexpensive wardrobe people always comment how well DD is dressed! Look at this way, go practical now and save your money when DD is 10 and starts asking for the really expensive stuff!!!

sarsah
09-29-2005, 03:55 PM
I am a SAHM and buy next to nothing at regular price -- the only exceptions are: shoes -- since both my boys have very wide feet and it's hard to find shoes for them, even at full price. I show the discount stores and stock up when I can, but it's often difficult.
matching outfits for holidays and/or professional photos -- I try to buy on sale or clearance here, but if there is something I really love, I will spend the money.

For everything else, I pick off the clearance rack and sometimes buy ahead for the next year. As your kids get older, it's easier to figure out what size they will wear the next season. Also, we live in the south, so it's warm most of the time, so I don't buy a lot of long sleeves and warm clothes since we usually wear shorts from March - October or November.

Also, I control the budget. I don't hide anything from DH, but really, he's too busy to even look at it. If he ever did look, he would probably be shocked, but we don't run up the credit cards, so it's not like I'm going into debt to dress my kids.

Sarah......mom to Jason (5 1/2) & Devin (2 1/2)

I also sell at local consignment sales (I made $450 at the two sales I did in March). This money goes for clothing or baby/kid gear that we need. What we have grown out of, don't use or play with any more gets consigned to make room for new stuff.

I am also super picky about what brands I buy -- only high quality stuff that wears well. It doesn't matter if it's cheap if it doesn't hold up to my two active boys.

Tracey
09-29-2005, 08:08 PM
You know, it's ok to be yourself. People will chit chat with you if you aren't a doctor, if you're broke, or even if you are just looking for some company. It only matters that you be honest and genuine.

snowangel
09-29-2005, 09:09 PM
cutelilbmw your profile says you are a male. Is this correct?

Saccade
09-30-2005, 12:23 PM
I could be wrong (maybe a mod might know), but if you register without editing your profile, the profile that's automatically created for you shows a gender of "male" by default. At least that's what happened to me -- when, a few days after registering, I checked my profile out of curiosity, I was shocked to discover that I had suddenly become a man while 8 months pregnant ;) ! So the OP is not necessarily male, maybe just a new female user who hasn't edited her profile yet...

ET fix typos...

-- Saccade

DS #1, 7/13/05
http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/eleeleabk20050713_-8_My+child+is.png[/img][/url]

cutelilbmw
09-30-2005, 09:31 PM
NO!! I am definitely not male!
I wonder how that got in the profile.Maybe I didn't change it

cutelilbmw
10-01-2005, 09:32 PM
Do you need a scan of my ID card to prove I am really working??

momtojack
10-28-2005, 03:39 PM
Hi,

Sorry if these are silly questions, but what is BBB Swap and how do you do mail order from the outlets - do they have a catalog or do you just call them up? Thanks for your great suggestions!

Shelly

s7714
10-28-2005, 05:44 PM
The BBB Swap is a Yahoo group that was set up so BBB members can sell or trade items amongst themselves. For security reasons, you must be a member of the Baby Bargains board for 60 days and made at least 50 posts before you can join the group.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BBB-Swap/

To order from the outlets, you simply call them and run down the list of what you're looking for. It helps greatly if you have the item codes so they can just check in their system for the item instead of running all over the store. (They don't have separate catalog just for the outlets.) You will still be charged for sales tax (if you have a HA retail store in your state) and the shipping and handling charges are the same rates shown on the website.

Jennifer
Mommy to
Annalia 3/03
Sophia 6/05

When raising kids the days are oh so long, but the years are short.--John Leguizamo

kijip
10-30-2005, 04:51 PM
My biggest advice is to never, ever go into unmanagable debt over clothes. Any clothes. I would look at cheaper lines like TCP or Old Navy both of which have decent optioons quality wise for toddlers. Or buy used. Or do the outlets. But always pay cash!

nola
10-30-2005, 05:19 PM
I don't. I am a working mom and we have a few extra bucks now and then, but I don't. I just can't see spending our hard earned money on those prices. Face it, it ain't a baby bargain. You need to stop reading these messsage boards. In fact, I love you guys, but can you stop talking about Hanna clothes?