PDA

View Full Version : Lands End Squall Jacket or Parka?

neeter
09-30-2005, 07:27 AM
Hi ladies -- I'm trying to figure out DS (20 months) winter coat, and I think I'm leaning towards the Lands End Squall Jacket or Parka.
I just can't decide which one - it looks like the parka is longer.

To me, the parka would seem a little more difficult for my son to run around in. Is that the case? Or is the parka better for warmth?

Also, since its so expensive, I'd like it to last for any future siblings. What's the most gender neutral color I should get? Red? Navy blue? Bright Yellow?

Thanks!

lmintzer
09-30-2005, 09:41 AM
I've always done the parkas for warmth and my kiddos haven't had any trouble running around. They really aren't that long.

Did you check Lands End overstocks for a sale-priced one? The full-priced ones aren't cheap. I remember seeing a blue color in the overstocks that could be gender neutral (kind of a light blue).

Otherwise, think yellow or red would be gender neutral.

neeter
09-30-2005, 09:51 AM
Thanks, this is good to know!!

I did check overstocks - we're looking for a size 2T, and I didn't see any in that size. Too bad I didn't buy ahead from last winter. This time if these work out for us, I'll know better!

AngelaS
09-30-2005, 10:47 AM
I always buy parkas, especially for kids you're picking up and slingin' on your hip. Jackets tend to ride up and expose little tummies or backs. :D

jfmiller
09-30-2005, 03:57 PM
Another vote for the parka for the previously listed reasons - length. The LE ones are NOT as long as L.L. Bean, for example. Those tend to run long, IMO.

Hope this helps!
Jennifer
Proud SAHM to Graham (1/02) and Genevieve (4/04)

neeter
10-01-2005, 03:34 AM
Thanks - this is great to know.

I'm having a little trouble with their sizing. DS is about 33 inches, 27 lbs. He currently wears size 18-24 months (he will be 24 months in January). I want to make sure this coat lasts all winter! 2T goes up to 33 inches in height, and 3T goes up to 36 inches. Should I get the 3T?

Thanks!!!

AbbieF
10-01-2005, 05:54 AM
I just bought one from ebay (for $25 including shipping) I can't remember if it was NWOT or just gently used but it is in perfect condition and a size 2T. My dd is almost exactly the same measurements- she might be 1/2 inch taller and right now it has more than enough room to last the winter- and we'll be in a winter coat in March. I'm not sure if its the jacket or the parka(I think the parka),but it measures just under 16" from the base of the neck to the bottom. That seemed a longer compared to her jackets, but she was able to run around. She currently wears some 18-24 mths and some 2T(which is a little big) and I do have to roll the arms on her shirts. I needed to do the same with the jacket-but it was easy. I was going to do exactly what you are and personally I think all 3 colors work for a boy or girl although I'm a sucker for red. Also w/ red or yellow you can just get navy snow pants and not have to worry if the navys match. But since the price was so good on the one I found I ended up with a berry/fushia color- its cute. My plan is to order the snow pants in both the current pink and the navy and see what works better.
HTH

Abbie
Mom to Maddie 04/04 and a new addition 01/06

neeter
10-01-2005, 06:27 AM
Thanks so much for your input - this is really helpful! And good to know that the 2T works well; my intuition told me not to get the 3T, because he doesn't wear any 3T, so you just confirmed it for me - thank you!

Glad she was able to run around. I love the red, too, and good idea for navy snow pants. DS is more of a "blue" boy, though, so we'll see after I get the swatches. Its so expensive. I need to look at ebay, too, but some of those pictures are difficult to tell the condition...

Anyway, thanks again!

snowangel
10-01-2005, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the heads up on the parkas in the overstocks. I ordered an orange one for my DS. I also got him the cutsie orange tassel hat to go with it. It is SO nice to get away from the blues. I am so sick of blue already!

I also bought him some of the climber pants for $10 and t-necks. There are some great deals!

From, Melanie

samiam
10-01-2005, 11:05 AM
I'm waiting on my LL Bean warm up jacket to arrive, but did just get a size 2T fleece jacket for my son. He's 34 inches and 26 pounds. The 2T fits him with plenty of room to spare - I definitely wouldn't size up to a 3T.

mamaturk
10-01-2005, 12:52 PM
Ok, you guys sound like LandsEnd experts.. so can you please help me decide which size to get my DD? She is about 36" and weighs around 30 lbs. She wore 2T all summer so I have been buying 3's for her for the winter.. In the Squall Jacket, should I get her the 2T or the 3T?? And I am so.. torn between the jacket and the parka.........THANKS !!!