PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question about bibs..yes bibs (x post)

overcome
10-03-2005, 08:10 PM
I received about 17 bibs at my shower. The majority of them are the terrycloth type with velcro in the back. They are "pretty" and "cute" (I love my mommy).

I have no idea about bibs..will she even need one if I am breastfeeding? And are these types of bibs really useful? Aren't the plastic ones with the pocket to catch the food more practical (once she is eating)?

Truly, this is my first baby and my knowledge is limited. Should I return a bunch of these bibs (all have tags on and most are from a Carter's store we have in town).

As usual, any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Ashley

iluvmy2boys
10-03-2005, 08:42 PM
if you have a baby that spits up (and some babies do - regardless of being breastfed or not) then you will need LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of bibs to save all those cute clothes from spit up stains (though truth be known, I never found breastmilk to stain at all not that my breastfed son ever spit up very much). I LOVED the terry cloth bibs and especially if you have a drooly baby they're perfect for that. I personally hated the plastic ones with teh pocket because they were hard and not comfy for baby to wear and believe me - that little pocket on the front doesn't help a whole lot if you have a baby who likes to spit their food, etc ;) LOL

ett
10-03-2005, 08:46 PM
You probably don't need 17 bibs, but I would definitely keep some for spit ups and drooling. It's always easier to change the bib than the whole outfit. The cloth ones are good for these situations.

HHCs Mom
10-03-2005, 08:55 PM
The plastic ones with the crumb catchers are for when they eat real food. You might keep a few of the drool bibs but I'd return some if I had 17 of them. DS spit up alot but breastmilk spit up doesn't stain like formula so it came out. We never used our small terry cloth bibs.
Kim
~ mama to a sweet boy named Harrison ~ 4.6.04

deenass
10-03-2005, 08:57 PM
He spit up after EVERY feeding (he was EBF and did not have REFLUX) but did spit up. As a result he had bibs to match every ouytfit. My mom complained that in every picture he was wearing a bib. I explained that she was welcome to come to my house and remove the bib, take as many pics as she wanted and then change hi clothes since he would have spit up in the time it took her to take the pics.

I would hang on to the bibs, maybe not all of them, but don't return them all.

kboyle
10-03-2005, 09:00 PM
As much as I like the terry bibs, I found that they absorb formula/spit-up/breastmilk very well, so well that the liquid seeps thru the bib onto the clothes. I personally like the "drool bibs" that are tiny with plastic backing and that have string ties, not velcro. They aren't that cute or big, but nothing seeps thru so clothes definately stay clean.

spanannie
10-03-2005, 09:28 PM
We actually used A LOT of terry bibs with DD.

We used a few, when she was fed EBM (since some would dribble out of her mouth), but really started using them when she was eating solids.

I have a lot of wonderful plastic-y type Bumkins bibs. I think they are darling, and wash off so easily. The problem is, my DS wouldn't leave them on. So, he really never wore bibs. Once DD was eating solids, I tried the Bumkins bibs on her. She ripped them off quickly, too.

I tried a terry bib, and amazingly, she didn't touch it. She'll still leave one on (15 mo). I figure that the plastic-y bibs are crinkly and fun to play with, and they really notice them being on, so they have to rip them off. We don't have those problems with terry bibs.

We'd use 3 terry bibs/day, when she was eating solids. So, I'd just consider that, and how often you'll be washing. I'd say we probably have 15 well-worn terry bibs....and probably 15 barely worn bumkins bibs.

nov04
10-03-2005, 09:44 PM
We use the terry bibs for drooling and chewing. As pp mentioned, dd will leave the terry ones on indefinitely, the plastic backed ones bother her and she tugs at them until we have to take them off.

essnce629
10-04-2005, 04:04 AM
Conner was EBF and never spit up, but from about 4 months old to 11 months old he was a huge drooler (and he wasn't teething)-- so much so that he wore a bib all day every day from the moment he woke up in the morning until he went to sleep at night! The only bibs I liked to keep his clothes from getting soaked were the thick terry ones that you're talking about-- "I love Mommy" ones, etc. Since he wore them constantly and I didn't like stuff clashing with his outfits, I usually just put them on him backwards so it looked like he was just wearing a solid color bib (I don't really care for characters and sayings on my bibs, but couldn't find thick enough solid color ones). We went through a few bibs a day and just recently I found my stack and I think I had at least 15!

***Latia
Conner 8/19/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aug2003angel
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif Self-weaned at 24 months! http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/9870.gif

barbarhow
10-04-2005, 09:36 AM
I hate bibs. I rarely use them. I know. That is terrible. Flame me. The only time I use them is when Jack eats oatmeal or yogurt which can get a little messy and it is usually because he has asked for one. Anna doesn't spit up much and Jack didn't either and I found that the times that they did/do it would have missed a bib anyway. Personally I would return most of them-I have so many tiny little bibs hanging around that I never used. Just my opinion and experience. Even if you LOVE bibs-I can't see that you would need 17 of them. Yikes!
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!

kensjen
10-04-2005, 09:47 AM
I would return some of them. Especially the velcro ones, I never liked those. They come undone in the wash and make little velcro chains with all of your laundry. PITA. I really like the ones that snap, and ended up just buying some when the other got on my nerves.

You probably won't need any of the really small ones, but the more medium sized ones are used more (does that make sense?). I didn't use bibs until DS started solids, so that was around 6 months. And then when he was a bit older and feeding himself I had some bigger ones. I didn't use the plastic ones with the pockets, quite honestly most of the food does not fall neatly into the pocket, but instead onto the floor. ;) Also if you have any that have a plasticky backing or fleece backing keep those, as a PP was right...most things go right through the terry.

You also will probably receive more bibs when they baby is born. It seemed like every gift I received included a matching bib. And then someone in the family sent one for every darn holiday, "baby's first thanksgiving, christmas, etc etc". I really have TONS of bibs.

Maybe you could exchange the ones you have, or better yet receive a credit and buy what you need once baby arrives. :)

elliput
10-04-2005, 09:53 AM
Your not the only one, Barbara. I only use bibs when DD is eating solids. I was given a couple dozen of the small drool bibs from a friend with a bunch of her DD's old clothes and never ever used them. I could see if you have a really prolific drooler that they would be handy for protecting clothes, but DD was never much of a drooler or spitter.

kozachka
10-04-2005, 06:59 PM
I'd return all 17 bibs, OK, maybe 16 bibs, and get store credit. If it turns out your DC spits or drools you can always buy as many as you need when you need them.

The only bib that worked for us was a Bumkin bib with small sleeves. It is very light, does not stain and DS can't take it off because of the sleeves. I also like the choice of colourful prints, we have a red one with farm animals that DS likes to feed.

twinkie
10-04-2005, 07:42 PM
My son was never without a bib for the 1st 8 months or so of his life. He was a major spitter upper as well as a super drooler and could easily go through 8 to 10 terrycloth bibs a day. (Not to mention at least 6 burp cloths!) 17 bibs would have lasted us 2 days max. Since I didn't have the time or energy to do laundry on a daily basis, we made sure that we had more than enough bibs. Also, since I was always looking at his bibs and never got to see his cute clothes, I would usually dress him in outfits that had matching bibs. Now that he is a toddler (and the world's messiest eater) I can't say enough good things about the plastic bumkin's sleeved bibs. My friends make fun of me and say that I am bringing out "the armor", but I have the last laugh when he is squeaky clean after lunch and their kids need an outfit change.