PDA

View Full Version : Winter coat in Texas? What would work best?

713abc
10-07-2005, 12:00 PM
My DS is 2 1/2 and I'm looking for a winter coat for him. Last year I was a bad mommy and just bought him a fleece sweatshirt, thinking that might be enough for a Texas winter, but he really needed something heavier.

I just bought a 3 in 1 coat from The Children's Place, but am not sure it's the right weight for us. It's kind of bulky. I bought the 2T size, and it's huge on him. Maybe I need to get him a smaller size.

If anyone has any recommendations on other coats to try or a review of The Children's Place jacket, pls share (he'll be outside in 50 degree weather, but not colder than that)

Thanks!

Mom to Max, 05/28/03

babymama
10-07-2005, 03:03 PM
Hi there!

I'm in Austin, so only slightly colder than Houston (I'm guessing Houston from your BBB ID). We ended up with 3 different jackets last year - 1 Lands End squall parka for colder days/outside activities/rain, 1 Hanna fleece jacket for fall and early spring (but not super-cold days), and an Old Navy fleece hoodie zipper (paid less than $10) to leave at DS's school for play on the playground.

I'm re-using the Lands End Squall parka jacket and the Hanna jacket from last season. I got them both on sale and bought them way big to get 2 seasons out of them. I may buy another lightweight jacket to leave at school again this year - keeping my eyes peeled for a bargain.

I haven't seen the TCP 3-in-1 jackets IRL. So can't comment, but I like to err on the side of extra warmth, so I'm guessing I wouldn't have a problem with extra layers and/or bulk.

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03 and
One on the way, due 01/03/0

spanannie
10-07-2005, 03:16 PM
I'm in Austin too!

Are you North or South? Nice to see another Austin mommy here!

babymama
10-07-2005, 03:35 PM
There are a few of us Austin mamas here! I'll PM you with my location. I think Austin is a great place to raise kids.

Love it here!

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03 and
One on the way, due 01/03/06

spanannie
10-07-2005, 04:17 PM
I was just looking at the Marinac Jacket on LE (it's fleece). Do you think that'd be enough for an Austin, TX winter?

Is the LE Squall Parka too much?

I don't like to have so many jackets. Ok, it's DH who doesn't like to have so many jackets...and I just don't like hearing about it ;-)

Sorry to be repetitive in the thread. I'm just trying to figure out what would cover all of the needs w/o having several jackets. I'd like 2, max. I'm always in trouble over too many clothes.

713abc
10-07-2005, 04:25 PM
Thanks for your comments. And you're right about me being in Houston - you cracked the code :)

erzzie
10-07-2005, 06:08 PM
We used to live just south of Austin. My 6 year old had a windproof outer/fleece inner coat with a hood and it was perfect. It was no-name at JCPenney, but I'm sure Lands End and LLBean have something similar. For days that are just barely cold, or cold in the morning, a cheap hooded sweatshirt is a great item too.

For a toddler/infant, you could easily just use any hooded fleece jacket--which would probably eliminate the need for a hooded sweatshirt.

yhtking
10-07-2005, 08:06 PM
It's nice to see another BBB mother from Houston. I'm from Houston too. DS had a hoodie last year for playing outside, and a heavier 2 in 1 jacket from Gap when we were in Indiana visiting my parents. He also had a couple of hoodie sweater type of jackets from Gap last year as well. I was looking to get him the jean barn jacket from Gymboree last month. But, I was too late. They all sold out. But, I did get him a couple of soccer looking jackets from Gymboree last year so he can wear them this fall. I tend to shop and take advantage of Gymbucks for the following season.

Mommy to Tyler (6-6-3) and baby Hailey (6-4-5)

BaileyBea
10-08-2005, 12:33 PM
HI there! I live in Austin too!

I have a 7 month old and I have been wondering what to buy. We have one sweatsuit jacket, one fleece, two sweaters that button up the front and one windbreaker. I am doing the whole layering approach to winter.

Today I finally decided on a jacket at LL Bean that is waterproof material on the outside with a fleece lining on the inside. It matches DS's Hanna knit hat and mittens.

I came to this conclusion after asking every Mom I knew what they would recommend and they all said that a waterproof jacket w/fleece inside is the best solution. Someone posted a code for LL Bean and I used that to buy my jacket today. Thank you to whoever posted it!

Good luck

Nancy
Mom to Curtis born 2/27/05

tarabenet
10-08-2005, 12:42 PM
Sounds like we have several Texas mommies who may not know about the Yahoo group. But I don't know how to send them there. Anyone more savvy wanna help?

Benet

spanannie
10-08-2005, 12:58 PM
Hi Nancy!

Good to see another fellow Austinite here.

Which LLBean jacket did you buy? Does it come in toddler's sizes?

Thanks!

spanannie
10-08-2005, 12:59 PM
There's a Texas Mom's Yahoo group?! Hopefully someone can tell me where to find it...
Thanks!

BaileyBea
10-08-2005, 08:04 PM
Hi Annie!

Yes, very excited to see other Austinites who like shopping for bargains like I do!

I bought the LL Bean Katahdin Parka in Nautial Red off the sale rack for $24.95. I thought it would go well with DS's Zippity Zany Hat and Mittens by HA. We need a thicker coat for a xmas trip to North Carolina.

It took me two days to place the order because I couldn't make up my mind on the size. I finally decided on the 12-18 months size. I hope it's not too long. The problem is that Curt turns 12 months in Feb and I really need the coat to last through April (since we usually get one last front sometime in April). He's only 7 months but he's 28.5 inches long and close to 20 lbs. So it will probably be a little big on him (Oh well! I hope it works.)

Did you get your PBK's Friends and Family Coupon? I managed to get one so if you didn't, just let me know and we'll meet up at the mall to go shopping. I don't know what I am going to get. I just want a couple of Frames, and some bathroom stuff.

Hummmm......
Great to talk to you and the other Gals! ;-)

Nancy
Mom to Curtis born 2/27/05

spanannie
10-08-2005, 11:07 PM
I did acutally get a PBK coupon. Thanks for the offer, though. Did you get yours from the Austin store? They refused to give one to me, even after they told me over the phone that I could have one. So, I called the PBK in Frisco, and they sent me one. I have it in hand now.

I was just going to buy 2 sets of Denim sheets, but I saw their new kitchen set (it's called Retro, and it's blue!), and I think I'll be buying it for DS/DD to share for Christmas. I had picked out one from Hearthsong, which is cheaper, but the PBK kitchen is just darling! I've been waiting for one that wasn't pink!

Will you and Curtis be at the upcoming Sing-A-Long? I just hope this one is not as crowded as the last. People were packed in like sardines, and we had to take off after the first song...the kids just didn't enjoy the cramped-ness. It was chaos there!

Hopefully I'll see you around sometime!

lovin2shop
10-10-2005, 01:36 PM
I'm rather new to Yahoo groups, but I think that this link should get you there:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TexasBBBMoms/

sarsah
10-10-2005, 07:53 PM
I would recommend a Lands End Squall or fleece jacket. He would probably need a sweatshirt or sweater under the fleece. If you buy it a little big he may be able to wear it next year too. I am in metro Atlanta and that's what my kids wear. My mom lives in Michigan, so a lot of times at the end of the season she'll find winter coats on clearance for under $10, so she'll buy them for the boys. They usually wear them only for a month or so -- last winter it was longer, but the winter before it was about 6 weeks.

Old Navy usually has some light weight winter coats at good prices.
They are nylon with a fleece lining.

I am not a big fan of 3-in-1 coats because I find them hard to zip because of the double zipper for the layers.

Sarah......mom to Jason (5/25/00) & Devin (5/12/03)

BaileyBea
10-10-2005, 09:12 PM
I am glad you got the coupon. Yes, I was planning on going to the sing-a-long.
I did get the coupon at the Austin store, but it was really "Hush Hush."

Their new kitchen set is sooooo cute. I really want the farm animals table and chairs for Curt when he gets older. But I am afraid I'll have to hold off on that one till he gets older.

Hope to see you there.

spanannie
10-10-2005, 09:41 PM
Deleted