PDA

View Full Version : What to do with clothes that your baby outgrows?

JenniferMC1971
07-06-2006, 11:22 AM
The clothes that my DD has outgrown are still sitting around the house. Do you keep the clothes your baby outgrows to hand down to your next child, hoping that you'll have a baby of the same gender eventually (and born in the same season)?

Or do you give them away as hand me downs to friends and relatives?

Or do you donate them to an agency that works with children in need?

Or sell them to a resale shop or on ebay?

Or a combination of all of the above?

Jennifer, mom to Brigid, born 9/14/05

MommyAllison
07-06-2006, 11:49 AM
All of the above :) When DD goes up a size, I go through everything and keep what I love, then consign/hand down/donate the rest. Many pieces work irregardless of season (t-shirts, jeans, white onesies) and some GN stuff like sleepers works for boys and girls. I'm pretty confident that I'll use most of my stuff again. I do make a list on the computer with descriptions of everything I'm putting away (size, brand, description, condition) so I will know what I have without going through the storage totes. HTH!

Allison
http://b1.lilypie.com/XvRAm8/.png (http://lilypie.com)

jhrabosk
07-06-2006, 12:31 PM
Wow! Allison, I'm duly impressed! I just have a bunch of overstuffed Ziploc storage bags thrown in my ILs' attic. LOL! :)

But, seriously, I've been doing the same. I try to cull out what I think is too "worn" to hold up well down the line or the few things that I didn't really like. So far, I've just donated those items. I'm hanging onto the rest...we're blessed with copious free storage in the attic mentioned above. I'll haul it out when one of my sibs has a baby, if they want it, and then when we decide we're done, I'll start selling/donating.

Except for some of my Hannas, which I think will be worth selling, I feel like the rest of it I'd rather donate to someone in need. I'll see what our financial situation is at the time, but I feel like the amount of $$ I'll make doesn't outweigh the value to someone who can't afford the nice stuff my DD has been given as gifts. Don't know if that makes sense...

Momof3Labs
07-06-2006, 01:24 PM
Even with opposite season babies, I've reused a lot so far (DS2 is in size 6-9 month now) like onesies, sleepers, etc. I did buy some summery outfits for DS2, and won't reuse the heavy fleece outfits from DS1 in the summer, of course.

I kept everything from DS1 but am cleaning through things before packing them away again. Most things we're getting rid of will be donated; they aren't worth the trouble to eBay them. Nice things like Hannas are packed away for a third baby (maybe?); if we don't use those, I'll eBay them.

holliam
07-06-2006, 01:27 PM
I do all of the above. I have yet to start keeping anything for another child because if we have another we will likely adopt a toddler or older child. So, I was going to start saving clothes once she hit toddler sizing, which was this summer. We'll see if I do.

Everything else has gone to 2 different friends or charities. I haven't really re-sold much anything yet. But, I suspect I will sell her fall/winter clothes from last year.

Holli

kaycee14
07-06-2006, 01:41 PM
I like the idea of cataloging what gets stored away for baby #2. Thanks for the great idea.

Also, if there is an outfit or 2 that you just love that is still in great condition, I'd suggest packing it away carefuly. My mother is giving me a dress that her great aunt made that both she and I wore in photos and a tiny hawaiian print dress that was mine. I'm looking forward to continuing the photo tradition and passing these on to my DD when she is grown. A good dry cleaner should be able to tell you how to pack clothing away for long term storage (just like wedding dresses).

Kathy
soon-to-be-mommy to a baby girl
http://bd.lilypie.com/TtJsm7.png

squimp
07-06-2006, 01:44 PM
I try to go through it all at the end of the season and see what still looks good.

If it looks very good and I still love it, I put it away.

If it looks very good and I'm tired of it, I sell it.

If it looks OK, I consign it or give to a friend. I prefer consignment stores that give cash, so I can buy clothes for next season.

Anything that doesn't pass to consignment goes to charity. I usually drop it off on my way home from the consignment store, to avoid another trip.

sophiesmom
07-06-2006, 03:55 PM
I saved all my clothes from DD and DS. Now that we have #3 that is a girl, she has tons of clothes!

Since we are done having kids, I have been consigning my boy clothes as well as giving to friends. I pick up my check next week so we'll see how I do! After the consignment period ends you have to the choice to pick up whatever didn't sell, or she will donate them to charity.

I plan on doing the same with the girl clothes.

We kept all our clothes in huge plastic tubs. I started out organized (by size/sex) but after a long period of time everything was mixed. If you can keep it organized it's so worth it! (if you're saving). I had to spend a lot of time sorting clothes in May!

mapg
07-06-2006, 04:08 PM
I've done all of the above. My latest thing is to give to a thrift shop that raises money for handicapped adults in the area. They will take everything, regardless of season. I haven't had great luck with consignment shops. Plus, I like to get rid of stuff that day. My husband really likes this charity, so he is always willing to drop stuff off for me. I guess the ease trumps any money I make off of resale.
MA

MommyAllison
07-06-2006, 07:00 PM
I think I might border on the obsessive side when it comes to DD's wardrobe, Jessica, so don't be jealous :) LOL

Allison
http://b1.lilypie.com/XvRAm8/.png (http://lilypie.com)

AngelaS
07-07-2006, 07:13 AM
I eBay almost everything as the girls outgrow them. I only save pjs that I love and my very favorite things or things that I made. This amounts to only a handfull of things.

Then, I use my eBay profits to buy new things for everyone! :D

Melanie
07-08-2006, 02:08 PM
With Ds,I kept the clothes I liked the most in case Number 2 was a boy. As they get older the season part doesn't matter as much since they wear clothes longer.

I gave some that were not my favorites to charity, hand-me-downs or consignment sales.

NOW, we're not planning anymore so I am giving some of my favorites from Ds to a friend for her 2nd b/c we have similiar tastes. The others I either hand-me-down to a friend of his who's smaller or if it's not their taste and a known brand then I will eBay or sell it on loops. The Target-type stuff I keep for a twice-a-year consignment sale. I find it does really well tehre but things like Hanna don't sell at all!

For Dd I'm just eBaying and consigning b/c I do not know anyone with a baby girl who didn't already have a girl.

For both I will keep a few choice outfits to stare at wistfully when they're older and say, "I can't believe you were ever this small!" LOL.