PDA

View Full Version : Any cheaper alternatives to HA short johns?

boys2enough
07-08-2006, 08:31 PM
Or should I just bite the bullet and shell out the doh?

My 3 yo suddenly demands to weat pajamas when going to bed. He has been wearing only underwears since "it's too hot!" He is also the type of kid that does not like scratchy material, tight clothing or uncomfortable elastic bands. The type of pajamas at stores such as Kohls or Target, you know, the ones with Spiderman, Superman etc, are out since I dislike the material much. And he is even pickier than I am. I am thinking that the HA Short johns are the ideal candidate, however, can't convince myself quite enough to pay $34 plus tax for toddler pajamas! (I myself wear DH's t-shirt when I go to bed!) Any alternatives out there? Or, maybe you can all convince me that it will be money well spent? LOL. TIA!

Cheers, Lin
Mom to 2 wild boys
D 3/98
G 11/02

http://smilies.vidahost.com/kao/chika/chirol_buha.gif

I am celebrating: just passed my "1000 posts" mark. Yipee!

momathome
07-08-2006, 08:39 PM
Have you checked out the short johns at Disney Store? They are fairly soft and well-made and go on sale for pretty cheap. We have had good luck with them here. Another alternative - boxers and t-shirts? Just a thought - you are talking to a mama of 3 girls here so the only boxers I see are those that belong to my dh. ;) HTH!

Momof3Labs
07-08-2006, 08:58 PM
Lin, we've been really happy with the set of two cotton short PJs from Target sold under the My First Years (or whatever the Carter's related brand is) for about $13/2 pairs. They aren't the yucky stiff ones, and are pretty decent for the money. I've also tried the Disney ones but the waist is always too big on my string bean, while the top is too short. Not a good combination!

Or, can you "make" pjs by combining some cotton shorts with some basic t-shirts?

tigeratty
07-08-2006, 09:35 PM
We like the regular Carters. I find them to be soft and wear well. People like the Gap's pjs. I finally brought a few pair and they are soft; not sure how they wear. I have heard that LL bean's pjs are comperable to Hannas, but they still cost around $24.

writermama
07-08-2006, 09:50 PM
If you want to try HA, you can often find them for less by calling the outlets (phone numbers under locations on the store web page). I think Short Johns generally run about $26 and can go to about $21 on sale. We only have 2 sets, but they are DD's favorites. I'd like to try LL Bean and Carters if I can find some in toddler sizes, though.

I, too, have a hard time spending money on PJs (another oversized T-shirt wearer, here), but I figure with the kids stuff that they wear them for such a large percentage of the day, that it's worth spending enough to make sure they're comfortable. Also, in my case, I know that anything I buy for DD will be reused for DD #2 -- which can be a dangerous justification for all kinds of clothing purchases.

Good luck

trumansmom
07-08-2006, 10:46 PM
I feel your pain! Although DD wears mainly HA pjs, DS wears lots of Target First Years, Old Navy and Gap. I'm really liking the Gap ones lately and make it a point to check their sale rack every time I'm at the mall. I can usually by them for $10-$12 a pair.

I'm HATING that he's in a 5 now and we'll have to buy big boy jammies next! I have a feeling he's going to be wearing HA soon, too. But then I can justify the price if I buy gender neutral ones knowing they'll be passed down to DD. :)

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

BaileyBea
07-09-2006, 12:13 AM
I bought some PJ's at Gymobree and Gap and they haven't held up nearly as well as the HA Short Johns I bought for DS. I bought some on sale for $24.

I would call their outlet stores and see if you can find some there for less.

The cotton is just so soft! I just love them! DH and DS love them too. I decided that spending the bucks on PJ's is money well spent since they sleep in them every night. They are going to get more use of PJ's than the average outfit in the closet.

Momof3Labs
07-09-2006, 07:03 AM
The First Years pjs at Target go up to 5T!

jess_g
07-09-2006, 07:39 AM
They are probably just as expensive as the Hanna ones but Sweet Potatos also makes some that are (in my opinion) just as nice and soft as the Hanna short johns. We have had a pair that has survived 2 toddlers and still looks great and is so soft. They also make other great clothes too.

http://www.bestdressedchild.com/newpoboblemr.html

Jessica.

kboyle
07-09-2006, 08:54 AM
ok, so i have one pair of The First Years long johns from target and I can't seem to find any more, they have short johns now?!?

why can't i find them at my target? they used to be in an endcap of the aisle in the winter, are they in with all the onsies and stuff?

i WANT more!!!

07-09-2006, 09:11 AM
I really like Kushies pj's. Unfortunately, they only have short johns up to 24 months. However, they do have long johns in bigger sizes for the winter. I absolutely love them-they are soft and comfortable and wear well.

LBW
07-09-2006, 09:18 AM
These ones from Basic Brilliance are on sale for $12.25! I just placed my first order with them for t-shirts, so I can't attest to the quality, yet. But, BB has been recommended on earlier posts.

lizajane
07-09-2006, 11:31 AM
i would try gap or old navy. i think they are second best to hanna. BUT size up, they are made to be tight.

kijip
07-09-2006, 01:13 PM
Have you checked out the Children's Place? Sometimes they have great cotton PJs.

spiritbeach
07-09-2006, 03:59 PM
Try http://makristababy.com Makrista Baby...They have really SOFT and cozy rompers that can surely be used as pj's Both the short and long type are available with a variety of images to choose from. I think that the images are original drawings done by a group of artists...very creative and extremely cute!

boys2enough
07-09-2006, 07:29 PM
Thank you all for the good ideas. Now off to look around more!

I know. I think deep down I really want some of those nice short johns that everyone on BBB seems to talk about and love so much! :)

I did go into the Disney store today, couldn't resist the 50% off the lowest price sale. LOL. Ended up with 2 sets of Incredibles jammies for $7.99 each. I will give them a try.

I wish I have younger ones to pass the good clothes onto. **SIGH** I do find myself feeling less guilty when buying stuff for my firstborn, thinking that, well, it will be worn by two kids! LOL

Cheers, Lin
Mom to 2 wild boys
D 3/98
G 11/02

kcimato
07-09-2006, 08:45 PM
Also try TCP PJs They have the same look as Hanna. I picked some up at their outlet awhile back for $3.99 and $1.99. Some of them were the same pattern but who cares it's just PJs. Size up though.

kcimato
07-09-2006, 08:45 PM
Also try TCP PJs They have the same look as Hanna. I picked some up at their outlet awhile back for $3.99 and $1.99. Some of them were the same pattern but who cares it's just PJs. Size up though.

smilla653
07-10-2006, 06:55 PM
I know what you mean! Just wanted to thank you for the post. A lot of great responses!

Personally, I just do the Gap PJs which I can easily find on sale (there's a store right around the corner from me) and Hannas. Like other posters, I just decided that soft, all-cotton PJs were important to me, and nothing comes close to the Hannas. DS is my first, so I try to get gender-neutral prints to hopefully use for the next little one. And I hope to pass them along to special friends or pass them down to grandkids or sell them on ebay!

One caveat about the Gap PJs: they may be soft, but they all have giant appliques on the top part. I noticed that they've improved the lining on the other side, but if your DS is super picky, he may reject it.

boys2enough
07-10-2006, 08:00 PM
DS is my first, so I try to get gender-neutral
>prints to hopefully use for the next little one. And I hope
>to pass them along to special friends or pass them down to
>grandkids or sell them on ebay!

Hilde, thanks for the "warning" about the Gap PJs. From what I could tell, they are also pretty snug fitting, so DS will probably dislike them. I love your rationalization: passing down to the grandchildren. Now I have just been given a renewed license to buy stuff! LOL

Cheers, Lin
Mom to 2 wild boys
D 3/98
G 11/02