PDA

View Full Version : How do you organize your children's clothes?

jerseygirl07067
07-13-2006, 12:27 AM
I'm going nuts since I hang all of their outfits. I'm a visual person, and if I put them outfits in drawers, I forget about them.

So I hang all the outfits, and it's so ridiculously time consuming. I was thinking about getting one of those hanging organizers (kind of like those hanging shoe slot things, but bigger to fit clothes) That way I could fold their clothes, but still see them. I had something like this in mind, maybe not as tall though, since their closets have double shelving.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=107686&RN=303

Do you have a system that you like? I'm always looking for simplification. :)

Marcy

holliam
07-13-2006, 09:36 AM
I'm far from a closet organizer, but I'll share what I do.

Anything that I consider an "outfit" gets hung up in her closet. This is anything from a dress, pants/shirt, skirt/top, etc.

Anything that I consider a "mix/match basic" goes in her drawers. I have one for shirts (ls and ss but depending on which season, there is one category more than the other) and one for pants (inc. capris, shorts).

However, I don't fold things in her drawer. I realized that with my SAHD hubby that if he doesn't see things, they don't get worn. So, I started rolling her clothes--not into a ball but basically I take her pants, fold them in half like you do to put them on a hanger, then I start at the waist and I roll them like a jellyroll! This allows me to avoid stacking because everything is in a nice little package so I can fit a ton more in one layer of her drawer.

As an aside, we pack our clothes like this too when we travel--it's a way to avoid getting wrinkles and crease marks!

Holli

AddiesMom
07-13-2006, 10:14 AM
Mine is similar to PP...

For the dresser drawers I bought at the Container Store clear sox & bra size storage boxes for all the 'basics'. I have bins for socks, bibs, long sleeved onesies and short sleeved onesies. Then the bottom drawers are pajama's. In DD's closet, my Dad did one side with shelves and I got canvas bins from the Container Store labeled them shoes, winter accessories, and others for tops & bottoms that are still too big to wear yet. Then hanging side is outfits... on the top is current outfits and bottom rail is for other outfits (i.e. next season). In the picture it looks like DD has a ton of clothes, but this was taken when she was first born last winter and it has both winter & summer clothes in it! Trust me there is much less clothes now! :)

Clear bins: http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?CATID=69446&PRODID=59816

Canvas bins: http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?PRODID=73160&CATID=166&searchId=4729122&itemIndex=1

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/34687.jpg

tlw
07-13-2006, 01:50 PM
I'm a visual person, too, and my neighbor just introduced me to this product:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005BU51/102-2675149-0401703?v=glance

They're size dividers so you can sort the hanging clothes by size, like the stores do. They come with stickers up to size 7 and you just reapply the larger size stickers over the smaller ones.

This is great for people who buy a lot of clothes in advance.

jerseygirl07067
07-13-2006, 02:47 PM
Thanks. I actually have those already. My closet is organized in terms of all the hanging outfits, I was just looking for a quicker alternative, i.e. hanging shelves or something like that so I don't have to rehang everything all the time. For some reason it drives me nuts, LOL!

Marcy

jerseygirl07067
07-13-2006, 02:47 PM
Thanks. I actually have those already. My closet is organized in terms of all the hanging outfits, I was just looking for a quicker alternative, i.e. hanging shelves or something like that so I don't have to rehang everything all the time. For some reason it drives me nuts, LOL!

Marcy

jerseygirl07067
07-13-2006, 02:49 PM
The rolling is a great idea. I do that too when I travel, just never thought about it for everyday organization. Thanks. :)

Marcy

holliam
07-13-2006, 05:05 PM
I got those too and I'm finding out that I don't use them at all. I can only exist by keeping her current season/size clothes in her closet and drawers. My DH just cannot remember if something isn't the right size or season.

When I buy ahead, I stick them in totes in our guest room closet. Right before the next season's buying season, I go through all the clothes from that season last year. For example, I am almost done sorting through all her fall/winter stuff from last year. I'm going to give/sell/donate and then start buying stuff for this upcoming fall/winter. When I do this, I take out the stuff I pre-bought and hang it in our guest closet--sort of like a holding zone. As it gets cooler in the summer, I'll start weeding out sleeveless outfits, then shorts, etc. and slowly merging early fall stuff in.

Gosh, who knew I actually had a system for this chaos!

Holli