PDA

View Full Version : Ebay prices confuse me

scout123
08-21-2006, 08:40 PM
Well, alot of things confuse me! But tell me why would someone pay more for something on Ebay than the actual price from the store? I am looking at the pink octopus costume on Babystyle and thought maybe I could find a used one on Ebay. They are going for more on Ebay than you would pay at Babystyle! Can someone explain this to me?
Scout

s7714
08-21-2006, 10:49 PM
Usually it's because either a) the bidder(s) haven't done their research and don't know the current retail value of what they're bidding on, or b) bidders get so caught up in the "must win" concept that they loose sight of the actual value of the item. Either way it's annoying to those who are looking for a good deal, but I'm sure the people who post the items for sale are laughing all the way to the bank when it happens.

Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Antsy-Pants 6/05

Calling fellow BBB SoCal moms...we'd love to meet you!
(100 posts & BBB member for 3 months req'd)
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/babybargainssocal/

ajmom
08-21-2006, 10:58 PM
Sometimes, although it doesn't sound like this is your case, but it's an item that's no longer available. For example, my friend had a Winsor pilates video that she bought from the WP website for $13. When I went to order, they were no longer offering that video, so I checked ebay. Some people were offering it for up to $35! I emailed a seller and she said that she was offering that price since the product was no longer available. But I didn't want it that badly!

What gripes me about ebay are the "no reserve" auctions with ridiculous shipping. I was going to bid on an item that still would have been much cheaper than full price, even with outrageous shipping, but the whole idea just burns me up. I would rather a seller have a reserve price set than try to make up the cost in shipping. Just my $0.02. Sorry to hijack your thread! :)

Swirvin
08-22-2006, 07:41 AM
I don't know for sure if this is true as I have never sold anything on eBay, but I don't think the seller has to pay a percentage of the sale for shipping costs. So if you lower the price of the item but jack up the shipping, the fees paid to eBay are lower. I think it is a way of cheating the system.

dules
08-22-2006, 08:58 AM
This is true and the person can be suspended from eBay for doing it.

Best,
Mary