PDA

View Full Version : Hanna sizing advice -- first timer

mamica
08-22-2006, 02:02 AM
OK, dd is 10 1/2 months, and I saw some really cute stuff from HA for winter, but I don't know what to do about sizing.

At her 9 month appointment, she was 29 inches and 22 pounds. Today she measured 71 cm by another doctor, with a different measurement process...this is shorter than the earlier measurement, so I'm not sure what she really is. I'll have to measure myself. At any rate, since I'm buying for Nov/Dec timeframe, I don't know if she'll grow enough to reach size 80. If I go with 70, will she outgrow the clothes without wearing them too far into the new year? I certainly don't expect her to grow 10+ cm by March, but is 5 cm realistic or will her growth slow down even more? If she were to get to, say, 76 cm by Jan/Feb, would she be too big for the size 70? Why does size 70 estimate only up to 12 months of age?

Should I just wait a couple months to see how she's growing? I'm afraid if I don't get the items I want soon, the sizes may sell out.

ETA: Sorry, I did a search, and I noticed the many HA sizing posts, but I really need some personal advice! TIA!

BeachBum
08-22-2006, 10:28 AM
I'm no expert, but since no one else has responded....My son is 31 inches and the 80s are very,very big on him. He is fitting "just right" in some 70s we had this summer.

I think 70s would be just right on your daughter.

SummerBaby
08-22-2006, 10:40 AM
I've found that it really depends on the item you're buying. Play dresses and zippers run a little smaller, so I would get an 80 in those if you want them to fit in Nov/Dec. My DD is also tall, like your DD, and she could wear a 70 in some things until she was about 31 inches. But by the time she was 31 inches, she could also wear most 80s. There's some overlap. Although everyone says growth slows down after the 12 month mark, my DD has kept on growing and is now a solid 90.

I would check the CDC growth chart. My DD has always been in the 97th % for height and it's been a good prediction of growth for us.

You can also buy now, and if it doesn't fit, they'll take it back. There's no time limit on returns. I've returned stuff over a year after purchase!

Good luck!

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

MommyAllison
08-22-2006, 11:54 AM
My DD is just a bit younger than yours - 9.5 months, 28.5", 19lbs and fits in 70s and 80s. We bought 2 used playdress sets (so they have already shrunk) - the 70 fits perfect with a bit of room to grow, the 80 fits but is still big. Our woven dress that we have in 70 fits great but is getting a tiny bit short. If I were you I would probably buy 80s, but if you can, buy both and see for yourself how they fit. Return whatever doesn't fit. HTH a bit!

Allison
http://b1.lilypie.com/XvRAm8/.png[/img][/url]

dules
08-22-2006, 12:08 PM
I started buying 80s for my DD at 10 months. At her 1 year appointment she was about 30 inches and 19 lbs (November). By the next year, 80's were short.

Best,
Mary

NatalieM
08-22-2006, 01:32 PM
My DD is 32 inches and 22 pounds and she's in 70's right now. I have 80's for her for fall. I'll see how long she'll fit in them before we have to buy 90's. HTH

xmasbabycomin
08-23-2006, 01:46 AM
I think it depends, too, on how you like clothes to fit. What looks too big to some might look comfy to others. I'd rather have clothes a bit big w/growing room than "tailored" looking. Plus you have to consider where the height of your beb is (long-torsoed, long-legged, neither?)

My DD is similar in size to original posters (aprox. 21 lbs, 29"). We just got in a few things,all size 80s:

zipper: definitely big, but wearable with the roll cuffs. I don't think 70s would have any growing room.

woven dress (best friends): quite big: unless it shrinks a lot with washing, too big for now, but prob. will fit in spring

capris: (hey, $2!) barely covered the knees!I think my DD is long-legged, though.

Good luck!

oliviasmomma
08-23-2006, 07:54 AM
Just to add to the other posters--I bet 70's will still fit in December. Still, if you don't mind the baggy look (I like it) your DD will probably still fit into 80's next fall--and that's a lot of wear at this age!

I still have the same delemmas with Hanna, though, so I know how you feel! :)

pennstatecowgirl
08-23-2006, 11:06 AM
My daughter is the same exact size as yours, although mine is 15 months old. Mine fits perfect in a 70 right now, and I just recently tried some 80s on her. They are a little bit big, but she can wear them. If I were you, I would get the 80s. At 10 1/2 months she's still growing pretty fast.

MeAndMyStar
08-23-2006, 11:52 AM
Hello! My DD is 31 in. and 23 lb. I just bought 80s and they fit good with room to grow. If I were you I would measure DD laying down, maybe use a pencil on the floor to mark the top of her head and feet then measure the distance. IMO you can never really tell if you are getting an accurate measurement at the doctors with all the squirming around! I'm no Hanna expert but from what I've heard about their sizing don't buy big, buy the correct size on the chart for DCs height and you should be fine with plenty of room. If you are buying for fall or winter though, you would want to allow for some growth between now and then. HTH and good luck!

-Sarah