PDA

View Full Version : Are Chicago Premium Outlets worth a detour?

kozachka
08-23-2006, 09:31 AM
We are flying into Chicago this Friday and will drive to Saint Louis. I am thinking of taking a detour to do some shopping at the outlets in Aurora. The list of stores reads like who is who in apparel worls, at least IMHO. For kids they have Jacadi, Petit Bateau and Starsburg Children. Not to mention Carter's, Osh Kosh, TCP and Little Me. I LOVE Petit Bateau's stuff and they even have a 15% off the entire purchase coupon on the website. And there are a bunch of adult stores that I'd love to hit. Too bad I'll miss the Labor Day sale but this is better than anything I can hope for in Saint Louis. Good thing I did not know about the outlets when I lived in Chicago ;).

Any BTDT experience, things to know? Do outlets offer good prices? I've been to Carter's, Little Me and Osh Kosh outlets before and don't expect much but how about the prestige brands.

wagner36
08-23-2006, 10:30 AM
Well, I've never been thrilled with the selection at the petit bateau or jacadi outlets, but I've only been there a few times. I try to buy PB undershirts there, but otherwise I don't feel like it is full of killer deals or anything.

I do sort of like the Aurora outlet mall - it's got lots of good staples (gap, banana republic, ann taylor, jcrew) but then also some more upscale stores (kate spade, calvin klein) as well.

But, to be honest, unless I was really looking for a huge shopping spree, I wouldn't go out of my way to go there.

If you have a whole day, though, you could do the new children's garden at the arboretum and then the outlet mall....

kozachka
08-23-2006, 10:54 AM
Thanks. So I won't keep my hopes high. I don't think DS needs anything other than fall boots, maybe a pair of pants for fall and a cute outfit for the holidays.

I, on the other hand, am in need of major wardrobe up-date/grade. I've got a new job in a very formal office almost three months ago and can use a new suit. The two nice suits I own were bought in the summer of 1997. I've heard Armani makes the best business suits and their outlet is on my hit list for Aurora. New boots and/or shoes would be nice too. I've got a lot of use out of the Ferragamo shoes that I bought at Off Saks years ago for $100, so I plan on checking their outlet as well. DH likes their shoes as well. And something from MaxMara, on clearance preferably, would be nice. Girl can dream ;). Or, and I've been lusting after a New Wave cup from Villeroy & Boch since I've seen it but can't bring myself to pay $55, the price it sells for in Ukraine.

I've lost baby weight and than some, I've earned money, I want to go shopping and buy some really nice things for myself that would make me look good and last a long time.

wagner36
08-23-2006, 11:10 AM
It is definitely a great place for work wardrobe shopping - lots of stores and good business wear, so you'll do great for yourself!

newmomto3kids
08-23-2006, 01:19 PM
Not sure if this means anything, but I live less than 10 minutes from them, am a pretty big shopper and have only been there a handful of times.
I have found a couple things at Jacadi and the Gap outlet. I am more of a shopper for the kids than myself though.
Enjoy your trip!

kozachka
08-23-2006, 02:40 PM
>It is definitely a great place for work wardrobe shopping -
>lots of stores and good business wear, so you'll do great for
>yourself!

Good to know. And thank you for giving me hope, Tara. I've been thinking of skipping outlet shopping. DH was not too excited about the detour.

smilequeen
08-23-2006, 03:44 PM
Are you staying in St. Louis? It's not quite as nice, but St. Louis Mills have a lot of those stores (Carters, Osh Kosh, etc.), and a Stride Rite outlet. An Off Fifth outlet for mom and dad, and a good toddler playground. That way you wouldn't have to make a side trip :)

kozachka
08-23-2006, 05:28 PM
Karen,

We are visiting DH's family who live in Saint Louis and will be there for a few days. I am specifically interested in the nicer stores, more so for myself than DS, who already has too many t-shirts for next summer LOL. So I am looking for work wardrobe items for DH and I and a few special occasion pieces for DS. I've been to Carter's and Osh Kosh outlets many times as we used to live within 15 miles drive from Carlsbad outlets, and I would not make a detour/trip for those. And Off Fifth on its own is not enough of a draw. In the past, I'd only pick one or two items there.