PDA

View Full Version : How do I price Hanna's for resale?

schums
08-28-2006, 02:47 PM
I have a Hanna outfit (size 70, I think) that I want to list on Craigslist or Swap, but I have no idea how to price it. The outfit I have is a quilted jacket and pants in EUC (DD only wore it a handful of times). (I can post more details if needed, but I didn't want this to sound like a Craigslist ad!) I've checked Ebay to see how much similar outfits are selling for, but nothing has been sold recently. I'd really like to sell it, but not underprice it. Is there some magic formula for pricing nicer kids clothes? And does it hold true for other brands like Lands End, Gap, Gymboree, etc.?

TIA,
Sarah
Mom to Alex (3/2002) and Catherine (8/2003)

dules
08-28-2006, 03:01 PM
Hannas nearly always sell for more than the other brands you listed unless the item is in super high demand (I've seen some crazy Gymboree and Gap auctions). The smaller sizes (50-60-70, sometimes 80) tend to go for less than the larger ones that kids can wear for longer.

My best advice is to check eBay completed auctions, and/or give an asking price and encourage people to make offers (on SWAP). I've never sold clothing on CL so can't help there.

Best,
Mary

schums
08-28-2006, 04:20 PM
Thanks for your help. I found a similar jacket but NWT tags on ebay that someone is trying to sell BIN for $50. Other sets have gone for anything from $6 to $45. The jacket was $46 new and the pants $28 new. I'm thinking I might start at $25 or so and see if anyone is interested.

Thanks,
Sarah

BeachBum
08-28-2006, 06:24 PM
I'd start at 40% or 50% of purchase price, and then work down.

crl
08-28-2006, 06:32 PM
For a nice brand (especially hanna) in good condition, I think I'd start at 50%. Just my guess.

schums
08-28-2006, 07:20 PM
Wow -- you'd really start that high? The full price of the outfit was $74 (I looked it up). Do people really pay that much for used Hannahs?! I think I might need to raid DC's closets -- momma needs a day at the spa!! ;-)

Thanks for the info!

Sarah

crl
08-28-2006, 08:46 PM
Well, I'm no expert, but the consignment sale I participated in said up to 50% of retail depending on brand and condition. So, I think Hanna's are definitely among the most sought after brands and if it's in good condition. . . .

funda62
08-29-2006, 10:23 AM
Yep, I pay up to 50% retail for really EUC things that I really want from Hannah and Gymbo.

Heather

dules
08-29-2006, 11:04 AM
I sold an 80 dress set on eBay last year for more than I paid retail, full price. It was really EEUC, worn once. But still I couldn't understand why people would go that high.

I guess they really wanted it, and were happy. The funny part is that when I first listed it, I put a BIN that was slightly higher than 50% retail and no one bit, but there were like 40 watchers after 24 hours. So I got in a snit and pulled the Buy It Now option. Glad I did I guess!

Best,
Mary

hardysmom
08-29-2006, 01:48 PM
On Ebay, I always start Hanna auctions at .99 - 1.99 and the almost always end over 50% of retail, if they are in "good" condition. EUC and NWT typically end around 60%+. Some items end highter than retail if someone is trying to, say, put together a look from an older catalog...

It always seems counter-intuitive to start so low. After a while, you learn that the lower the starting price, the earlier people start bidding, thus creating "bidding wars" and a certain que mentality (if 24 people are bidding, it must be nice)

Other times, things will sell for higher than the CURRENT retail on the HA site. It is crazy. I don't know if people just get caught up, want to use PayPal, or what...

As a seller, top dollar really comes from ebay, though there are certainly advantages to SWAP.

Stephanie