PDA

View Full Version : Snow suit or coat for a <1 yr old?

Maria K
09-01-2006, 10:06 PM
DS was born March of '06. Do I need a winter coat or something for him (we live in Chicago)? I feel like that's a dumb question... it's freezing here of course we do! But it's not like he'll be out walking around or playing in the snow at 9 months old. Can't I just layer clothing and wrap him in blankets for the short walk from the house to the car?
My mother says we need a snow suit. Why, I ask her? "You just do." Typical mom! :+
- Maria

trumansmom
09-01-2006, 10:32 PM
You definitely need a coat, but probably not a snowsuit. Keep in mind your baby is going to go from non-mobile infant to possibly toddler before the snow melts! (I'm guessing Chicago winters last almost as long as South Dakota winters!)

We had a warm winter coat for DD that we used for everyday, and a fleece bunting/snowsuit thingy we only used a handful of times.

HTH -
Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

Maria K
09-02-2006, 12:21 AM
That does help.
BTW... is this a stupid question? I'm feeling foolish asking.
- Maria

trumansmom
09-02-2006, 12:53 AM
Nope. Not stupid at all!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

mommyoftwo
09-02-2006, 01:27 AM
I wouldn't bother with a snowsuit unless you plan on doing activities like sleding. You will however need a coat. I personally like the 4-in-1 or 3-in-1 coats because you can take out the liner for when you don't need quite such a warm coat (makes in a lot less bulky) but you can be nice and cozy when the really cold weather hits. And then, when it starts to warm up a little, you can use the liner part as a spring coat. More bang for the buck IMO. I'm from Illinois originally so I know what the winters are like there. You can get a very reasonably priced one from TCP but there are lots of options.

holliam
09-02-2006, 06:49 AM
What about a fleece one piece thing from LE or LLBean?

Holli

Momof3Labs
09-02-2006, 09:00 AM
We are also near Chicago (in the burbs), and DS2 will have a fleece coat and a fleece "snowsuit" for this winter. He won't be playing outside yet, and you need something that isn't puffy or too hot for the car seat. Fleece does the trick.

If we spent most of our time pushing a stroller in the city, I'd get him a warmer snowsuit.

heidiann
09-02-2006, 10:28 AM
My DD was born the end of Oct. I bought one of those bunting things and never ever used it on her. We live in Pittsburgh so we have some nasty weather but I ended up buying a sherpa coat and wore that on her. She was in an infant carrier whenever we went outside so I always threw blanket over her and she was fine.

Heidi
Mom to Jillian 10/20/05

octmom
09-02-2006, 06:38 PM
That's what we used for DS when he was younger. It was great-- not too thick for the car seat and has a long zipper that can be opened so baby doesn't overheat when you have the heat on in the car.

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
DD, Katie 3/06

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

missy425
09-02-2006, 07:58 PM
My DD was born in January in Chicago and we lived there until this past July. She spent a lot of time outside all winter at your son's age b/c my husband took her to daycare downtown on the bus in the Baby Bjorn so we had a down snowsuit/bunting thing from REI plus a scarf and hat. She wore the same when we were out in the stroller for errands (with blankets if needed). When we were just out in the car, she either wore a fleece jacket from Patagonia or a slightly heavier winter coat depending on the temperature outside. Not a stupid question at all as I was just as clueless last year! Good luck!

table4three
09-03-2006, 10:03 AM
My DS was born in March 05 and we live in the Chicago area. We had a fleece jacket and a fleece one piece bunting. Both were from Lands End, as I recall. We used the bunting when it was very cold and the jacket for days that were a little bit more mild. The bunting from LE was nice because of the fold over hands and feet because mittens at that age can be a joke to put on/keep on.
Not a dumb question at all! I asked it of many of my friends too.

http://b2.lilypie.com/mkn7m5.png

Maria K
09-03-2006, 11:03 AM
Thanks so much to all of you. I'm not feeling so foolish now. I will look into those things you've suggested. The fleece thing and the 3-in-1 makes a lot of sense for us.
Phew. :)
- Maria

kozachka
09-03-2006, 01:13 PM
LL Bean also has good quality fleece snowsuits. I am not sure if 3-6 months would work for you (they run large I believe) but they have them on sale for $19.95 http://tinyurl.com/lczua and you can normally get a code for free shipping.

Maria K
09-03-2006, 02:25 PM
That seems like a great price, but I was figuring he'd be in a 9-12 m size by then.
- Maria

bubbaray
09-03-2006, 04:20 PM
It depends on if you will be outside with him. DD was born in April '04 and by December '04 we had her out on a baby sled in the snow (just on the flats and it has a seat and seat belt). We had a snowsuit for her. We also would put her in a snowsuit when we were at a ski resort, even if she was in the stroller, just so she didn't get cold.

HTH

Melissa

http://b3.lilypie.com/rppJm7/.png[/img][/url]

http://bd.lilypie.com/fYrCm7.png