PDA

View Full Version : Changing a onesie to a non-onesie

ageorge911
09-02-2006, 06:09 AM
Has anyone ever cut off the bottom of a onesie and made it into a regular shirt? I imagine it could be done even though I am a terrible seamstress (esp. on hems). In my overly enthusiatic shopping, I purchased too many onesies. I am optimistic that potty-training may come this winter (she has used the potty 2.5 times and two of her friends are potty-trained).

Thanks!

mapg
09-02-2006, 06:45 AM
Sure did, on undershirts though, so it didn't matter about the hem. I didn't hem one or two and the undershirt didn't unravel. Try it on one that has some wear or you don't like as much.
MA

Ceepa
09-02-2006, 07:02 AM
use pinking shears?

I don't sew so I don't know but I think this would help reduce unraveling???

-Ceepa

s7714
09-02-2006, 03:54 PM
I've done it many times as both my DDs outgrow things length-wise before width-wise. I cut off several rompers this summer as well, because they still fit as a top/dress. Not to mention a couple of cute outfits I found for my older DD this winter that have onesie style shirts which I'm planning to chop off (ridiculous on a 4T+ outfit, IMO--don't they realize kids can't handle the snaps very well if they're PT?)

Cutting off knit items can be a bit trickier than woven fabrics, because the knit fabric can stretch out funny when you're trying to hem it up. If they're going to be tucked in or worn around the house I wouldn't worry about it too much though. If it's a nice shirt and you want to make sure it doesn't stretch out, you could buy some iron-on stabilizer to put on before doing the hem, but that could also make the bottom of the shirt a little stiffer depending on what kind of stabilizer you use. (FWIW, I've seen some stabilizers that desolve when washed, but I haven't ever tried them.) There's also the option of just serging the edge of the fabric vs. doing an actual folded/rolled hem, but of course you need a serger to do that. ;)

HTH,
Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Antsy-Pants 6/05

Calling fellow BBB SoCal moms...we'd love to meet you!
(100 posts & BBB member for 3 months req'd)
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/babybargainssocal/

emschwar
09-02-2006, 09:23 PM
I'm doing this with some onesies for next summer. My mom told me to just cut it off and put bias tape on the cut edge.

lizajane
09-03-2006, 07:19 AM
if you don't have a serger, you can roll the edge twice so the cut edge is not exposed. i would cut it LONG in case you mess up or in case it doesn't look right- so you can tuck it in or try again.

i sew with knits a LOT and still find it difficult. i usually use my serger with a differential feed (so the machine doesn't stretch the knit as it sews.) but when i use the sewing machine, it can be hard to get a flat seam instead of a ruffled one.

you could always give the onesies to someone with a serger to do. it is really a quick easy thing for a seamstress to do. i am sure it wouldn't cost you much.

craftysierra
09-03-2006, 06:12 PM
On a regular machine a knit stitch helps a ton! It looks like a cross between a zig zag and straight stitch (but looks straight on a knit). I aagree to start longer than you need.

Sierra

lizajane
09-03-2006, 09:40 PM
am i seriously the world's biggest jack-a$$??? i never knew what that stitch was!!!!!!!! i could have been using it all along!!!!!!!

wow. i am SUCH a loser.

lol at me.

ageorge911
09-04-2006, 06:50 AM
Don't feel like a loser. I learned to "sew" (I am not very good) on an ancient Singer with only the straight stitch. Now I have a fancy machine and lost the manual when I first got it. I don't know how to do very much on it at all!

tigeratty
09-04-2006, 08:45 PM
On knits,if you don't mind the bottom rolling up, you don't have to hem it at all. Just leave it a little longer than you ultimately want.

I am short waisted and I have hips so when I get tshirts with screens on them (vacation, charity, rock bands, etc) I always have to cut them off several inches because they are usually a long narrow mens cut. Sometime I do the sleeves too. It actually looks kinda cool and the shirt actually fits.

Hey, the flashdance look is coming back, right? J/K. Remember that sweater Jcrew used to have for years with the rolled hem and sleeves? It reminds me of that.

Shari