PDA

View Full Version : What are you looking for in a bib for 6+ monther?

SammyeGail
09-03-2006, 06:07 PM
I have been making some bibs for my 9 month old twin sons and have been getting lots of comments about them. So I was wondering if I should join the hords of folks making and selling bibs on ebay, lol!

So I wanted to ask mommies out there what they would want in a bib. The pattern I have is a nice size (aprx 10 in across and from chin down aprx 8.5 in) and would be a good fit on 6+ month old, thats just me guessing, I've put some pretty big bibs on my sons for better coverage!

It covers the sholders and has a velcro closure. I don't want to charge alot, I want to be realistic, but would love to use neat fabrics. I like retro and contemp. fabric patterns. How many of you like that sort of thing? If not, what do you like?

What are your views on vinyl overlays? It would be an ironed on vinyl, not a seperate layer. The only downside to these is you can't put them in the dryer. I would like to put some type of backing of these, I could do something soft and on the thin side(like minkee) so it would dry well hanging.

And feedback would be very much appreciated. Like I said before, I would not be doing this to make alot of money, I started making my own because I bought some on ebay for about $7 each and when I got them I knew I could make some just as good or better, and nowhere near that price to make.

So just let me know.....

Thanks so much,
Samantha

SAHMommie
09-03-2006, 06:40 PM
I love towel bibs. My guys is 2 yrs old now and I would love to find toddler sized towel bibs. Pull over the head (no velcro or snaps). Cute little applique designs would be a plus.

For the traditional type bibs I love chenille (at least the backing). Minkee sound good too. I dont care for vinyl covered bibs.

I think Ebay is a great way to make money. If you are crafty and make a desirable product, you've got it made. Good luck.

SAHMommie

SammyeGail
09-03-2006, 07:49 PM
I have thought about making towel bibs too, get some nice solid colors and sew on flannel hearts, stars, etc and let the edged if the flannel fray a little, it looks so neat!!

Keep em coming!!

holliam
09-03-2006, 07:55 PM
My favorite bibs are from a diapering WAHM. She use hemp or fleece for absorbency or water-resistance. They have snaps too.

In my opinion, velcro bibs are easy to find, and I wanted nothing to do with them. I wanted snaps and love, love, love the design of the ones I have.

I personally would never buy a bib with a vinyl coating, nor would I buy anything I couldn't put in the dryer. Just my opinion, but I'm a bit abnormal. :)

Holli

lizajane
09-03-2006, 09:37 PM
i make and sell bibs as part of my business. mine are small- either for an infant or to use as a drool bib (which dylan often needs at 19 months because of the dreading teething drool!)

my postive reviews have been about:
softness
simple but cute prints
snaps
ease of use (washing/drying/snapping on and off)
unique to homemade/boutique style- you can't find them in BRU, for example
personalization- i monogram them

a great idea for toddler mealtime bibs is oilcloth. it is softer than vinyl and doesn't have the un-appeal of the plasticy vinyl. another idea is to have a polyester urethane laminate put on your fabric (PUL). many co-ops (yahoo groups) will help you do that on a min 3 yard cut. PUL would make them waterproof, while still soft and easy to wash/dry.

for mealtime bibs, i REALLY like a pocket that can be unsnapped to make the bib flat so i can clean it out. i hate a sewn on pocket that gets icky scraps stuck in the corners. EWW!!

Melanie
09-03-2006, 09:55 PM
I prefer absorbant bibs to vinyl or the like where stuff just rolls off onto the pants/chair/etc.

What I used to find really hard to locate was the over-the-head t-shirt-neckline style for older toddlers, that would actually fit over my son's head! There were very few made big enough when he was 2-3.

Also, I prefer ones w/out commercialized characters and that made the search near-impossible.

SammyeGail
09-04-2006, 12:53 AM
Thank you so much for your responses!! I told DH I wanted the thing that put snaps in, but he just had to have velcro, I personally like snaps better .

What co-ops (yahoo groups) could help me in getting a polyester urethane laminate? My boys still have no teeth and drooling like crazy!!

Thur far I have never found a pocket bib I like, but we have only touched lightly on table foods. The pockets on the ones I've seen are flat against the bib itself, they don't seem like they would catch anything, and I never thought about food getting stuck in the corners, UGH!!

I have never seen any oilcloth, I would really like to see some one day.

the reason I was thinking vinyl was for drooling/teething babies. I would turn the bib around, having the thick terry (or whatever fabric) facing outward with the vinyl facing the clothing in hopes to protect their clothes from getting wet.

My boys started teething at 4 months old, so thats been 5 months of constant drooling. I just want to find something to help the drool. Of the ones I've made I don't know if its the extra layer of flannel or what I chose as backing (some fake suede fabric-I chose it because was semi-soft and you can wash and dry warm).

Anyone is welcome to keep the comments coming, and Liza, pls let me know how to go about getting PUL on fabric.

Thanks!

Samantha

jadamom
09-04-2006, 07:34 AM
My favorite bibs are Bumpkins long-sleeved bibs made of polyester/nylon with ties at the back of the neck. They clean & dry easily and are impossible to pull off.