PDA

View Full Version : Shoe question for a baby who is almost ready to walk

JenniferMC1971
09-04-2006, 07:38 PM
My DD is almost a year old, and when I went into a Stride Rite to ask about ideas for her first pair of shoes, they said to wait until she is really walking by herself. DD only walks when we're holding her hands or she's walking behind a push toy. I do have a pair of hand me down Robeez that we've used two or three times for her to walk outside. But her first birthday party is coming up and I kinda wanted a new pretty pair of shoes to match her dress (it's the blue/red/pink paisley dress from the Riding Club line from Janie and Jack that I found for an awesome price on clearance after Christmas!). I did see online that Robeez has shoes that look like Mary Janes or shoes with bows - does anyone have them and love them? Should I just forget about party shoes and let her go barefoot (which she does almost all of the time now anyway). Your opinions? And if you do recommend the Robeez, what websites are best to buy them from? Thanks!

-Jennifer, mom to Brigid, born 9/14/05

elliput
09-04-2006, 08:04 PM
My DD wore a pair of Target Robeez knock-offs with her birthday dress (a cute Beetlejuice number I found on clearance ;-) ). If you are interested in something a little dressier, but still super flexible check out Pedipeds. http://www.pedipedbabyshoes.com/Home/Home.aspx

brittone2
09-05-2006, 01:32 PM
No need for shoes at all other than a fashion accessory or when they are walking outdoors over uneven terrain. The foot develops best and most naturally when kids are allowed to be barefoot. They also can dig in more with their toes, and feel the input of the floor through their feet better, both of which make it easier for them to balance when learning to walk.

I'm glad to hear Stride Rite saying such things, as IME they tend to push parents to buy shoes way too soon, and their bigger sizes IMO are actually too rigid.

Robeez or similar leather bottomed, soft soled shoes are the best "first" shoes, until your child is walking well enough to walk alone outside over uneven surfaces. At that point, a flexible rubber-soled shoe will work just fine.

There is an ebay seller that sells inexpensive Robeez knockoffs that are very nice for the price...shoeszoo is the seller name. We were happy with ours.

Oh, and I worked as a pediatric physical therapist before DS was born, so that's what shapes my view on shoes :)