PDA

View Full Version : Halloween Costumes for a Warm Climate

ilfaith
09-06-2006, 03:30 PM
I am in search of Halloween costumes for my two boys (one is two years old and the other is one month). The problem with most of the costumes I've seen in stores like Old Navy, the Disney Store and Gymboree is that they are all heavy plush or fleecy materials which seem like they'll be awfully warm here in Florida.

I adore Old Navy's chicken costume (I keep thinking it looks like the wearer should be standing outside Chik-fil-a handing out samples) but think my sons would swelter in it.

Doesn anyone have any ideas for cute, lightweight costumes?

writermama
09-06-2006, 06:23 PM
I feel for you. With girls, you get the opposite extreme: flimsy dresses or leotards. Remembering my childhood, it seems like any year I had a thin costume Halloween would be cold that year and any time I had a thick plush costume it would be unseasonably hot. The trend has continued with my DD.

Not as fun as the animals, but I've seen pirate, cowboy, and superhero costumes for boys that aren't really hot. Or maybe you could sew something with lightweight fabrics?

09-06-2006, 06:44 PM
How big is your 2 year old? Babystyle has a shark costume that I don't think will be too hot--no sleeves and no legs, material is kind of foamy rather than fleecy. It's also really cute. Unfortunately, it only goes to 24 mos then the shark has leggings. The buntings didn't seem too heavy either, but I didn't look at them too carefully b/c ds is 9 mos.

Good luck searching,

Christine W