PDA

View Full Version : Hanna and the Sea of Pink

AbbieF
09-06-2006, 07:46 PM
Is anybody else feeling let down by Hanna and all the pink/pastel they have this season? Okay, I don't mind some pink but I shop Hanna because I love the rich jewel tones and the primary colors. They even made a pink version of the Snowflake dress. It almost seems like they're going in a bit of a different direction. Some of the staples I look for just don't seem to be there this year. :(

Abbie
Mom to Maddie 04/04 and Kate 01/06

emmiem
09-06-2006, 11:02 PM
I bought all jewel tones, purple, fuchsia, blue, and brown. Are you just shopping in the baby section?
Michele

MommyAllison
09-06-2006, 11:18 PM
I was noticing today that the Pretty in Pink is completely the Little Red Dress in pink! I think they will still come out with the LRD though, otherwise wouldn't it be on sale on the website, though it's still hidden? I agree with the PP that the big girl stuff has more jewel tones, but that doesn't help for your younger DD.

Allison
http://b1.lilypie.com/XvRAm8/.png[/img][/url]

AbbieF
09-07-2006, 05:23 AM
You're right there are more options in the girls area and I do love the "Sweden" dress. But all of the prints seem to be a goodly amount of pink. My dh is Portugese,so my oldest dd has brown almost black hair, dark dark brown eyes and real olive skin tone-most pinks aren't very flattering for her. I long for even just a red t-shirt without pink. Maybe, I'm being too picky but its hard when something worked really well for us in the past and I guess with 2 girls I have just hit my saturation on pink.

Abbie

1964pandora
09-07-2006, 05:30 AM
Oh, no-- don't say they might be "going in a different direction!" I've started to fear that could happen ever since I read that the company is no longer owned by Hanna Andersson-- the woman. Hopefully, it's just this season, because I couldn't agree more with you! If they are "going in a different direction" maybe they're trying to attract new customers who don't usually buy from HA because they don't like the colors. I hope not!!!!

holliam
09-07-2006, 08:11 AM
I think it's an avalanche of pastels too, even in girls. My DD is wearing 90 so we can do baby or girls and I have not ordered a thing except the Expedition jacket. This is from someone whose DD has had almost exclusively Hanna wardrobe for the past few seasons.

I'm totally underwhelmed by it all.

Holli

J_B Mommy
09-07-2006, 08:28 AM
I hadn't really noticed, but I think you're right. Jane loves pink and will choose that over just about anything in her closet. She also wants to wear dresses every day, so the more pink dresses hanna comes out with, the better for us. I don't really care for their pastels -- I also have a baby boy and wish they offered more in bright colors instead of the baby blue. Other than zippers and his coat w/ pilot caps, he'll have to wait until he's bigger for hanna. And at that point I prefer mini boden.

I would really like to see more leggings from hanna to match the dresses. The opposite stripe are great for a 2 yo and potty trips, but tights are a little difficult for her to manage.

Betsy

luv_my_girl
09-07-2006, 10:15 AM
We love the pinks too!

Was the company ever owned by Hanna Andersson, the individual? I read in a business magazine that it was founded by an American man in Portland, OR. It was not founded by "Hanna Andersson", she is the brand, as far as I can tell.

mspersnickity
09-07-2006, 10:15 AM
I'm disappointed, too. You can get pink clothes anywhere! I'm only now starting to buy Hanna for my 11 month old daughter, and there's very little currently available that I'm interested in. I need to send in a return and I'd like to take advantage of the free shipping for exchanges, but I just can't find anything we really have to have. I wish the swirlflower print hadn't been recalled. :(

michlyn
09-07-2006, 02:14 PM
I know what you mean - I really like the soft landing pants / long life turtlesuits but this year they made girl (yep, pink) and boy versions. My DD looks best in richer darker colors - I'm not so into pink. I know this season has gotten a bad rap and I still like much of it, although I'm now swaying towards mini boden.

hardysmom
09-07-2006, 03:40 PM
It was founded in 1983 "on the kitchen table" by a woman named Gun Denhart whose Sweedish Grandmother was "the real" Hanna Andersson. She and her husband (the man you probably read a.bout) ran it out of their house in the early years

In 2001, the Denharts sold the Portland-based company. Gun, who is usually referred to as "Hanna" in marketing materials/catalogs currently remains on the Board and runs the company's charitable foundation.

Anyway, the sale was a few years ago.

Stephanie

2zeke
09-07-2006, 06:08 PM
Even if I liked all the pink, my dd doesn't. I did buy some Hanna for her this season -- an orange top, a turquoise one, and the denim skirt with the pink (!) ribbon running through it. I'm also planning to get the brown Sweden dress for her.

That's it for now. Not much compared to past years, but part of that is probably her age (almost 7).

I didn't buy anything there for my ds. Between MB and CWD he's pretty well set.

Hopefully, there will have some great clearance sales this year.

Janice
dd 10-99
ds 4-02

AbbieF
09-07-2006, 09:08 PM
I think you've all said what I initially couldn't articulate. It's not that I'm completely against pink, but I like/prefer alternatives. I really like having some basic pieces, t-shirts and pull up pants, in gender neutral colors and styles so that at these prices they will get the most wear possible. Afterall, I love giving friends/family my hand-me-downs when they're a great quality. Hanna always seemed to have a style that was represented not just in the design of the clothing but also the fabrics that was unique, child-like and mom & child friendly (esp. for potty training) :). I feel now that I'm just looking at a slightly different version of Gymboree. Believe me I like Gymboree but I really want to have some variation. (Sigh)I can only hope that the future catalogs inspire me a bit more.

Abbie

SummerBaby
09-08-2006, 10:43 AM
Other than the Kimono Gardens and Tea for 3, what's so pink about it? I thought there were still lots of bright colors available, esp in girls. Look at the playdress colors, for example- I think any of them would look great on a child with dark hair and eyes.

I may be biased because I like pink, and pastels in general look best on my blonde, blue-eyed DD. So I really haven't bought much for fall because I don't like the bright colors as much! I also just don't really care for the patterns this fall.

Naartjie got a lot of my money this year!

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

holliam
09-08-2006, 11:38 AM
If you look at the main dress or tops pages for girls or babes, I think the pink is pretty obvious. Even things that aren't entirely pink have lots of pink in them.

Holli

egoldber
09-08-2006, 12:33 PM
I don't really like the Kimono Gardens line that everyone seems to be head over heels for, but that's me. Other than that, I think there are still lots of basics in bright colors.

Remember that even something that doesn't show a girl wearing it CAN be worn by a girl. :) I placed a large-ish Hanna order a few weeks ago and none of it was pink. :)