PDA

View Full Version : Maybe it's just me....

ppshah
09-06-2006, 10:30 PM
But does anyone else think it's wierd to dress your little kids in tshirts with skulls on them?

mattiew
09-06-2006, 10:43 PM
Absolutley!!! I also don't like t-shirts with "smart aleck" sayings or glittery "princess" etc; they are only little once and I want them to stay that way.

AbbieF
09-07-2006, 05:28 AM
I totally agree. Not to mention they'll have the rest of their lives to make a statement. Why force them into the political hotseat now? I guess it goes along with the idea of dressing kids like mini adults- which always weirds me out no matter what it is. I don't want my 2 year old in a Madonna-belly shirt. I agree with PP they are little for so short a time, let them enjoy it.

Abbie
Mom to Maddie 04/04 and Kate 01/06

jennifer_r
09-07-2006, 06:59 AM
Yea, I agree with all the PPs - I'm not sure why skulls are so popular for little boys right now. And "princess", "baby", etc. - yuk! I want my little ones to look their age. Why rush it? I don't even think it's attractive. Also, alot of those clothes have "attitude" - there'll be plenty of teen years for that.

Jennifer

Mom to:
Christopher 12/29/89
Adelaide 8/23/04
Bronwyn 11/9/05

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif[/img][/url]

newmomto3kids
09-07-2006, 07:44 AM
I probably wouldn't put Johnny in a T-shirt with skulls on it, but he does have a little pair of skater shoes that have skulls on them. I love those shoes (they were only $3). He loves pirate stuff and Halloween and thinks the shoes are very cool.
I just put him in whatever I think is cute, sometimes he looks very little boy, sometimes he looks a little older.
I would never put my girls in the revealing clothes, or the ones with sayings about boys etc.( I wouldn't put my DS in a "chick magnet" shirt either) But, I think that is different. The revealing clothes sexualize my little girl, which I think is inappropriate. The shirts with the skulls on them have an older theme, but aren't inappropriate, imo.
Either way, it is interesting to see what other people think about it...

Cristiana
09-07-2006, 08:17 AM
I don't have a problem with skulls, but I have a huge problem with the logo saying shirts. I saw a girl no older than 11 that was wearing a shirt that said SEXY on it. I couldn't believe it! I also do not like shorts or pants that have words written on the butt. Sometimes I walk past the display at Limited Too, and I shudder thinking about what DD will want to wear when she's older.

Off topic, but would it be that hard for Gymboree to have a velour hoodie set that didn't involve a cartoon animal or embellishment of some kind? I know they want to make it so you buy the entire line, but come on!

MelissaTC
09-07-2006, 08:41 AM
It doesn't bug me but then again, I have a little boy that really likes pirates, bugs and anything gross. I don't mind the shirts with the smart alecky statements too, as long as they are clean or not sexual in nature. DS wore a shirt last year to his first day of preschool that said "2 Cool 4 School" from the GAP. Loved it! I also got him one that said "Genius in Training". These don't bug me. He has also worn a shirt that said "Prince Charming". I wouldn't put him in anything that was nasty, had swear words or was sexual. But that is just me!

mspersnickity
09-07-2006, 09:26 AM
I think it's just something that started out being funny - because it was unexpected - that has become a trend. And now that it's so common it's lost the unexpectedness that made it mildly amusing in the first place. It can be cute if the art is good, but that's pretty uncommon at this point.

The "sexy" clothes on kids (especially babies) were never, ever cute or funny.

The quippy shirts are sometimes, but rarely, funny. And, again, they've become so common that they are losing their charm.

stillplayswithbarbies
09-07-2006, 09:39 AM
I don't have a problem with skulls for little kids. I guess if they are gory with blood dripping and have an axe in the skull that would not be good, but then I wouldn't let my teenager wear that one either. (not to school, not around his sister who might be scared by it)

I like dressing Logan like a miniature adult sometimes. Not sexy or revealing clothes. But I think it is cute when she wears jeans and a graphic t-shirt and converse high top sneakers. And I love to see toddler boys in khaki pants and polo shirts. It's cute!

That is one reason I like Naartjie. Their clothes go from size 6 months up to 9 years, so it's not a baby-ish look.

I would totally put Logan in a skull shirt.

hudsonam
09-07-2006, 09:54 AM
I actually almost bought the skull DJ shirt from Mini Boden for my 20 month old DS, but I wasn't sure if he should be wearing a skull or not. I liked it though, and I like the Vans with the skulls on them. My DH is more bothered by that then me, which is mainly why I didn't get that shirt. I like putting my son in clothes that look less baby-ish and more grown-up. I think he looks cute. :) Like those rocker tees I posted about yesterday. The only thing keeping me from ordering one yet is the fact that they're very expensive. I kind of like the way Angelina Jolie dresses her son.

kcandz
09-07-2006, 12:31 PM
I love the rocker tees that were posted yesterday. I pretty much could have written this post, I agree with you 100%. Skulls can be fun in a mini-punk way, but not the gorey ones. I am not a fan of little girl tees that have words or phrases that are suggestive, though the "princess" seems more innocuous, especially since it seems almost every 3 year old has a princess phase.

I also love the way Angelina Jolie dresses her kids. Zahara has been photographed wearing SKRs that are thought of as boy style shoes, but she still wears dresses. Maddox seems to have that little rocker guy style but he still looks like a kid.

punkrockmama
09-07-2006, 12:34 PM
Well, *I* don't think it's weird. But if you, or anyone else does then that's cool. Ya know everyone has different tastes. I don't look like any of the other moms on my block. I don't go out of the way to do so, I just do. I dress Peyton and will dress this baby in things that *I* think are cute.

Peyton has a lot of "alternative" clothing like Inky Dink, but he's also got some Hanna. He has shirts with spiders,bugs, guitars, and skulls on them.

And I ordred a totally sweet pink and black argyle sweater with a pink skull on it in case this baby is a girl *crosses fingers*.

As a joke for DH (whose an old fuddy duddy :P), I dressed Peyton up in khakis, a polo shirt, and a little cap last father's day. Now THAT looked weird! LOL

LMAO--I was just saw the Angelina talk. I have a SIL that everytime she sees us says "Who do you think your kid is, Maddox?" LOL LOL :7

JMS
09-07-2006, 12:43 PM
OT: Karen, I think your new avatar of Loagn is beautiful.. I love that type of shot. :)

sdbc
09-07-2006, 01:20 PM
I don't have a problem with it as long as the child isn't scared of skulls. I mean, a skull is natural, just like a flower or whatever. It's not really my taste, though.

Maybe kids who wear skull shirts will grow up to be brain surgeons.

Sue, mommy to Aurora (Rory) born 5/13/04

Melanie
09-08-2006, 12:33 AM
Yeah, I don't care for it either or baby onesies that say "My Boyfriend is out of town." However plenty of people do.

applesauce
09-08-2006, 01:08 AM
>I think it's just something that started out being funny -
>because it was unexpected - that has become a trend. And now
>that it's so common it's lost the unexpectedness that made it
>mildly amusing in the first place. It can be cute if the art
>is good, but that's pretty uncommon at this point.
>
>The "sexy" clothes on kids (especially babies) were never,
>ever cute or funny.
>
>The quippy shirts are sometimes, but rarely, funny. And,
>again, they've become so common that they are losing their
>charm.
Just want to say I totally agree!

aliceinwonderland
09-08-2006, 08:46 AM
ITA. Though I was *thisclose* to get DS a shirt that said "My dad is a stud", it was just the $35 price tag that stopped me, not any moral considerations :)

Jenn98
09-08-2006, 09:10 AM
For me it's a fine line. I like to dress DD in what a PP called "mini-adult" clothes. By that I mean, jeans and tshirts, or a little skirt, tights and a sweater but not rompers and one piece baby outfits. That's just my style. But I avoid anything that is sexulaized. That includes shirts with little tucks in the front (a little gathering that would fall right between a woman's breasts), or anything that says "princess" or anything sexually suggestive. My annoyance with the princess stuff is that it's everywhere. I'm annoyed with girls clothing in general right now because it's all pastel pink with kittens or flowers on it - yuck! It's hard to find stuff (that's reasonabley priced) that is more neutral and not so gender sterotyped. I like her to wear pink cause she looks good in it, but no more kittens, please!

She does have a few alternative shirts. She has an iPod shirt and a little onesie with a rocking chair that says "Rock On." I found it amuzing because rocking is how we've gotten her to sleep since she was born. We also have a t-shirt a friend gave us that says "I throw tantrums" with a pic of a water skiier on it (I guess a tantrum is a type of waterskiing trick.)

I guess my vote would be that I like funky and fun but not sexualized at all. Skulls? Would have to depend on the shirt, but we are kinda preppy here, so probably not.

SWMatthes
09-30-2006, 11:53 PM
There's a great line called "Beautiful Futures". Their slogan is "Everything is Possible" and they have designs that promote kids' dreams. They have designs for boys and girls, and they go up to 6T in most designs.

I was given one of the "One Day We Will Have World Peace" shirts as a shower gift, and have purchased them as gifts for all my friends who are expecting or who have little ones.

How's this for a nice image: a whole bunch of little kids wearing "One Day We Will Have World Peace" shirts. What a nice alternative to all that mature before their time stuff!

From their website (www.beautifulfutures.com):

"Playful, fun and inspiring clothing. Celebrating the dreams of our children while reminding people of all ages that Everything Is Possible".

"Do you remember when you were little and you didn't just think you could do anything, you KNEW you could do anything. Maybe you knew you'd be a Rock Star? Maybe you knew you'd be President? Or maybe you knew you'd be a Race Car Driver? Beautiful Futures celebrates that 'knowing' we are all born with; the one that tells us, 'Everything is Possible.' Often the paths we travel in life cause us to forget this simple message. Spend some time in the presence of a child and you will quickly be reminded....The multi cultural animated characters I created to convey my 'Everything is Possible' philosophy live on 100% Yummy Soft Interlock cotton rompers and raglans. The colors I've chosen are bright, cheerful and I hope to inspire a child's natural creativity and sense of fun."

If you decide to purchase shirts from their site, let me know--I have some codes!

Best,

Sima
proud mommy of DS Teddy, 3/8/05

barbarhow
10-01-2006, 10:26 AM
As the mother of the infamous pirate Captain Jack (Sparrow, Calico, Blackbeard-depending on the day), I don't think it is weird at all. I much prefer it to Nascar logos or some other things on the market. We love playing pirates at home. Pirates are a pretty fascinating part of our history. No problem here.
Off to order the pirate pjs from MB. :-)
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!

new_mommy25
10-01-2006, 12:19 PM
I don't think it is wierd. I think it is often very cute.

blueeyedb
10-01-2006, 12:37 PM
I actually made DS a cardigan with a skull on each side. I think it is adorable and it matches one that I made DH which has skulls on the arms. I get TONS of comments on how cute it is when he wears it. I do think that there is a difference between a fun skull shirt and a T-shirt with a saying that sexualizes an 11 month old.

kcimato
10-01-2006, 04:02 PM
Would love to get a code. I have 4 grandchildren and the peace shirt is what I'm looking at.

3dears
10-01-2006, 04:31 PM
I do not like skull stuff at all. I think it's an odd choice for a little child. It makes me think of alternative lifestyles, a celebration of death and amorality. Drugs, Grateful Dead, all that. Why would you want to dress your child in something so dark? Those images are like the opposite of love. They embrace darkness to me.

Melanie
10-01-2006, 11:20 PM
*oops* already replied weeks ago.

Cristiana
10-02-2006, 10:29 AM
Honestly, I think that's a lot to get out of an article of clothing.

I just picked up a cute shirt for DD to wear on Dia de los Muertos from Target, in case anyone else is looking:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y201/cristieanne/PA020001-1.jpg

Cristiana
10-02-2006, 10:29 AM
oops, double posted!

mspersnickity
10-02-2006, 10:34 AM
I was pretty stunned by the number of judgments made in a few short sentences. I try not to read quite that much import into what anyone is wearing.

The Target shirt is really cute, will have to keep an eye out for that one.

holliam
10-02-2006, 10:38 AM
Oh that shirt is awesome! I must get it!

Holli

J_B Mommy
10-02-2006, 11:32 AM
That is a cute one. I'll have to remember to look next time I'm at target.

punkrockmama
10-02-2006, 11:51 AM
>
>http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y201/cristieanne/PA020001-1.jpg

OMG. You got that at Target? Haha, I have to check it out because I LOVE it!! :) I wish I knew for sure if this baby I'm bakin' is a boy or a girl (at this point I truly do not know why I though being surprised was a good idea). I've already bought some pinkie things (that they won't even be able to wear for months,lol) just in case.

punkrockmama
10-02-2006, 12:01 PM
>I do not like skull stuff at all. I think it's an odd choice
>for a little child. It makes me think of alternative
>lifestyles, a celebration of death and amorality. Drugs,
>Grateful Dead, all that. Why would you want to dress your
>child in something so dark? Those images are like the
>opposite of love. They embrace darkness to me.

WOWZER. Dude, you'd probably run and hide if you saw me and my kids coming your way then,lol. Seriously, if it's not your thing then that's cool. It would be a pretty boring world if we all liked the same things. But please don't assume that just because a person wears black, skulls, or umm, listens to The Grateful Dead that they are depraved, homicidal junkies of some kind because that is just not the case. :)

elliput
10-02-2006, 12:24 PM
I picked up the "Mummy's Girl" shirt and matching leggings for DD at Target over the weekend. I figure she will get 3-4 wearings out of it before Halloween.

barbarhow
10-02-2006, 08:02 PM
Bravo.

3dears
10-03-2006, 01:54 PM
This is a fascinating conversation. I would not run and hide from you. I've been known to listen to Grateful Dead. That doesn't mean I want to dress my children as miniature tributes to them. I guess my point is that not everything is okay. I think our society has swung around to the point that "I'm okay, you're okay" is all that's okay to say. I'm sick of that. People with opinions are afraid to voice them because they don't want others to think they're close-minded. So you think it's great to be a grown woman and use words like "Wowzer" and "Dude" and you see no problem dressing up little kids in clothes depicting pirates and skulls and stuff. I'm a grown woman, too, and I like my children to know my values and I'm not afraid to admit that I have some. And my values include protecting my girls from scary images and not buying into trends that encourage me to dress them grown-up just because it's cute. I don't want my little girls pushed into the world of teeny bopper by anyone - especially not by me. I'm not condemning you I just thought the thread seemed pretty one-sided and that it might be nice for a conservative voice to speak up for once. I'm tired of being the silent majority. Because we're out there. Our lives do not revolve around how we dress our children but we sure care how we raise them. What seems harmless at the time may not be with time. Flame away.

oliviasmomma
10-03-2006, 02:50 PM
"please don't assume that just because a person wears black, skulls, or umm, listens to The Grateful Dead that they are depraved, homicidal junkies of some kind because that is just not the case"

He, he, If I'd thought that Dh wouldn't have made it past hello! Seriously, it isn't my thing, but I do think it's cute--does that make sense? I have much bigger issues with sexualized and commercial clothing for kids than I do with this. FWIW, I'm a folkie, but DH loves to rock it. I gave DD a t-shirt that says "For those about to walk, we salute you" to wear on DH's birthday because it made him so happy. The reality is, our kids pretty much reflect us, (at least until they start to say otherwise)whether they wear Laura Ashley prints or skulls they're still wearing clothes that reflect their parent's taste. Just as I wouldn't want DD to grow up thinking that every girl in a floral dress and hairbow is prissy, I don't want her to avoid the kid in the skull shirt because they think they are meanies. It is really hard not to push my assumptions onto DD, but in this area I work especially hard because I was the poor kid growing up and was judged based on the clothes I wore. (LOTS of hand-me downs from my cousins--but by the time they got to me they were worn and hopelessly out of date! :) ) It is so improtant to me that DD look past the surface and at the person instead that even though I'd never put a skull shirt on her (unless she asked) I'll always be extra careful to not say negative things about someone who does.

Sorry this is long, but it touched a nerve...

trumansmom
10-03-2006, 06:22 PM
Hmmm. In spite of your obvious great taste in girls' names, I couldn't disagree with your premise more.

In my understanding of the term, close minded means "not open to other's views". So, unless I'm misreading your post, I can't see how you're expecting anyone to view this opinion as anything but. No one is saying you HAVE to dress your kids a certain way, but are expressing their reasons and opinions as to why they may have different tastes.

Feel free to make your own choices, but don't expect the world to always agree with you and accept your judgement on their choices.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

trumansmom
10-03-2006, 06:22 PM
Jeanne

barbarhow
10-03-2006, 07:09 PM
Wow. Your post screams of judgement. My life revolves around the way I raise my children as well. I care very much about how they value things. I also put alot of fun and care into how I dress them. If my son is into pirates and wants to wear a pirate tshirt-I don't think I see this as gloom and doom and quite honestly-he doesn't think it is scary. I also don't feel that I am putting him in a pirate tshirt is a reflection of my values. And, I don't say "wowzer" and "Dude", either. Furthermore, I think an adult in a pirate shirt looks pretty silly. I happen to think they are for kids not adults.
Your statement that "I'm a grown woman, too, and I like my children to know my values and I'm not afraid to admit that I have some." Is pretty judgemental. The inference here is that those of us who do dress our children in pirate clothing don't. That is pretty offensive and pretty narrow-minded. I have values, too. I also think that it is way overthinking something that is fun and a rich part of our world history. My son doesn't find pirates scary. That is probably because we never told him that they were scary. We read children's pirate stories and he has a pirate ship he loves to play with. I think he has a rich imagination and I love to encourage that. I am completely confident that what seems harmless now will remain that way with time.

newmomto3kids
10-03-2006, 07:49 PM
I guess I never realized how much people might be judging me and my children by the clothes they wear. That is truly very frightening to me. They are clothes people, clothes. They cover up our naked booties. I know people might not like my choices in clothes, but to infer that I might be on drugs or lacking in values, just from my kids clothes. Yikes.
I think I am off to buy a skull shirt for Johnny (despite my previous post) just to rock the boat.
Good grief...

holliam
10-03-2006, 08:44 PM
Yea, that! Plus, my daughter is obsessed with the human body. Loves brains, skulls, bones, any of it. She LAUGHS hysterically when she sees skeletons because she knows that is what she looks like on the inside.

Not everyone sees things through the same set of eyes, values, etc.

Holli

holliam
10-03-2006, 08:44 PM
I sent DH to find it today and he said he only found it up to 24 mo. Total bummer!

Holli

oliviasmomma
10-03-2006, 09:45 PM
I've never noticed a shortage of opinions on this board! I also think you are making an assumption about the parenting of other posters on this thread. Perhaps the reason there weren't more posts condemning the t-shirts is because 1.People really are not all that concerned about what other people's children wear or 2. They like the shirts. Either way, I find it hard to believe there are dozens of people who disagree with the skull shirts sitting on their hands because they fear negative responses. After reading this thread, the only negative, attacking response I see is yours.

I've never seen anyone pushed off the board because of their beliefs. I have seen people not respond well to unkind personal attacks. While I can tell from your post you feel strongly about the subject, there was no reason to attack the wording of another post when that wording was most likely used to keep the discussion lighthearted and breezy. They're t-shirts, for goodness sake!

punkrockmama
10-04-2006, 03:29 AM
when that wording was most likely used
>to keep the discussion lighthearted and breezy.

Yeah, what she said. :)

Look as far as how I "talk" here on the boards....Well, I type as if we were all just sitting around chatting and joking. Unless it's a thread on a very serious subject, and I don't think clothes are a "serious" subject, then I just have fun with it.

I really don't have anything bad to say, no flames from me. I don't know you 3dears so there's no reason for me to get all hopped up about something you say. It's just the internet; fun, useful, informative, but not earth shatteringly important to me. I never got the whole "flame war" thing, how can you get all pissed off at someone you don't even know?

I certainly have A LOT of opinions. So I would never begrudge anyone else theirs.

AngelaS
10-04-2006, 05:55 AM
We saw the bow wearing skull shirt at Target and my 8 yo said, "why would you want to put your kid in a shirt w/a skull on it???"

So, she thought it was odd and whether she gets her opinions and values from me or somewhere else, that's what my kid thinks of them. (I said nothing, she saw the shirt and commented on it, just ftr)

I guess it goes with out saying that my girls won't be sporting them.

They do have the Target tees that say "Girls are just better" tho and I LOVE them. I was bummed that they didn't come small enough for the little one to have one too!

designermv
10-04-2006, 08:09 AM
>Honestly, I think that's a lot to get out of an article of
>clothing.
>
>I just picked up a cute shirt for DD to wear on Dia de los
>Muertos from Target, in case anyone else is looking:
>
>http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y201/cristieanne/PA020001-1.jpg

I sent my 23-month old daughter to daycare in this shirt this morning and she looked adorable! She had pigtails and matching polka-dot leggings on.

Rachel,
Grateful Dead listening, non-drug doing mom to sweet and well-mannered Alison Leah
10/16/04

MissyAg94
10-04-2006, 08:12 AM
FTR, I am mostly a lurker but I think there are people who probably do agree with her who wouldn't dare speak up on this board. As an outsider I have noticed this place isn't the most welcoming to more conservative ideas. It's like trying to be accepted in high school. You figure out what you can and can't say in order to be accepted here.

I don't care what anyone puts on their kid, but mine won't be sporting a skull anytime soon.

Jenn98
10-04-2006, 08:40 AM
This is really sad to me and I wish it weren't this way. Remember that there is power in numbers, so conservatives unite! If you have an opinion EXPRESS IT! Don't sit and whine about how other will take it, just say it! (I'm not saying you or any other poster has wined, I'm just speaking in generalities.) Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion and I for one, want it expressed as long as your post doesn't critisize anyone else's opinion. There is a way to express yourself (again, general "you" here) without putting others down. And that's not the same thing as always agreeing. We can disagree and still be friends.

For the record, I'm liberal on many social issues, but conservative on others. I love hearing other poster's opinions especially when they aren't just like mine because it challenges me to think and reevaluate my beliefs. Please don't hesitate to post. Various opinions is what the BBB is all about!

Tracey
10-04-2006, 08:52 AM
I like you.

I don't have any strong opinions about skull t-shirts, so I haven't said anything. It's not my style, but so what. I would hate to judge someone's values as being so different from mine based on clothing. Personally, I would have missed out on a lot of great friendships in my life with people who looked different from me, but who had the same values that count. I think you would really have to get to know someone to make that determination. One of my best friends has a bunch of tattoos and I look like a Lilly Pulitzer ad. Other than the way we look, we are a lot alike.

trumansmom
10-04-2006, 10:15 AM
Holli-

I just got one for DD this morning. They had them up to 5T at my Target. Let me know if you want me to pick one up for you. :)

And I NEVER thought I would put a skull tee on my DD, but it was just too cute to resist!!

Jeanne

trumansmom
10-04-2006, 10:19 AM
I've heard this complaint often over the years, and I really don't get it. Honestly, I don't have any issue with how someone feels, just how they express it. I firmly believe that both liberals and conservatives are equally capable of being tactful, as well as judgemental.

Jeanne

hudsonam
10-04-2006, 10:26 AM
All I can say is that my son wears a little of everything, both preppy and not-preppy, and I feel that I have very good morals and values, so I would never judge someone based on their clothing. I also plan to let him express himself however he wants (within reason), as he gets older. No cursing on the shirts or anything, but if he wants to be punk, he can be punk. If he wants to be goth, he can be goth. If he wants to wear searsucker pants and a bow tie, he can do that. I'm just surprised that anyone with so-called great morals and values would judge so harshly based on clothing or on someone saying "dude" or "wowza."

barbarhow
10-04-2006, 10:48 AM
It is not the conservative ideas that are the problem. I am friends with people from all over the political spectrum. The problem with the post was the judgemental manner in which it was written. I could go on and on about how offensive I found that post but think I already did this.
Suffice it to say that I totally do NOT have a problem with the way that you posted that you choose not to put skulls on yours. I don't hear any judgement from you. Just your statement that your kids won't be wearing them.
I am so sorry that you feel that conservative ideas aren't more welcome. It's a shame that you feel like you have to try and fit in. I have always felt that the BBB was pretty accepting of most.

MissyAg94
10-04-2006, 11:04 AM
I don't know if I can really write in words the exact reasons that this is true. I think it probably relates to the "piling on" that happens when someone expresses an alternative opinion to most here. I am an outsider here and in NO WAY wish to start an argument. I am not speaking for anyone except myself. These are just my observations and the reasons I am not more involved in the OT discussions here. I think the more covservative posters are made to feel close-minded, backwards, judgemental. Honestly, I don't care what other people think of my opinions and ideas. But I wouldn't necessarily feel 100% comfortable expressing them here b/c I would be treated as ignorant or uneducated (which is far from true, BTW.) It just isn't worth my time to debate issues here.

So I just stick to the "how to save money while spending money on kids' stuff" threads and have discovered so many cool things for my DD. And I don't think I would have BF my baby for 13 months if not for lurking here when BFing was so hard. I am glad that the politics are mostly kept to other boards so everyone can feel more comfortable here. I only posted on this thread to say that the other poster who was creeped out by the skull stuff isn't necessarily alone.

I guess we should ALL be careful of painting people with one broad stroke. I am a conservative, Christian, breastfeeding, part-time babywearing, non-CIO, organic feeding, delayed vaxing mom. Go figure. Oh yeah, and my DD has wooden AND plastic toys (that make noise and require batteries.)

MissyAg94
10-04-2006, 11:12 AM
Please know that I wouldn't have worded things the way the other poster did. I was just replying to the idea that more people didn't feel the way she does. I think they do but just choose not to post. So I guess that my point is that threads here are not necessarily indicative of what everyone thinks. I don't know her AT ALL, but I think her tone may have been overly-defensive b/c she knew her opinion wouldn't be popular here. Again, I am just guessing as I have never spoken to her.

Again, let me say, I don't care if anyone puts skull stuff on their kids. I am actually more concerned about the sexualization of young children that some clothes cause. ICK.

ETA: I went back and re-read the thread. I think the wording was way less than ideal and was destined to cause upset.

trumansmom
10-04-2006, 11:15 AM
Fair enough.

FTR, I am a liberal, Christian, breastfeeding (well, we just weaned, but I nursed DD for 2 1/2 years, so I think that counts :P ), part-time baby-wearing, non-CIO, part-time cding mom, so I think we have much more in common than we have differences. And I think our commonalites are what are important.

Jeanne

MissyAg94
10-04-2006, 11:18 AM
Thanks! I totally agree.

Pennylane
10-04-2006, 12:20 PM
I would not be bothered to see a child in a skull tshirt, as long as it wasn't gory or anything. But I would never in a million years let my DD wear a tshirt that said "Girls are just better". As a mother to girls and a boy, that is more offensive to me.

Ann

punkrockmama
10-04-2006, 12:52 PM
>I like you.
>

Hey Tracey, thank you. Atleast I think you're talking to me? LOL, if not then a big "oops". <insert sheepish smilie> :)

And you know, I wouldn't put a shirt on my kid that says girls are just better either. I don't think that's a true (obviously) or funny statement and it's not something I'd want my kids to wear. But that's about as far as my opinion and thought process on it goes.

Yeah, I say, if you've got something to say, SAY IT. I totally understand the feeling of not wanting to get "beat up" on, but you've got to be up to the challenge of standing by your word, even if it is not the most popular. I'm not an old timer here but I think everyone on the boards does an okay job of agreeing to disagree, most of the time.

I mean, yes, of course I have morals and values. And one of the rules I try to live by is to not insult strangers for no reason. Do I get offended by stuff that people say? Of course. But I know that they've got a right to say it. Even if I really (really, really) don't agree with it.

kaycee14
10-04-2006, 01:06 PM
Baby/Little boys will be big boys soon enough. While I don't like the little suits and other "old-fashioned" stuff, I also don't like the teenage stuff for babies.

Same goes for Baby/little girls. The police have a term for clothes like this... prosti-tot. If my DD wants to dress like that when she goes off to college, I can't stop her. Until then I'll try to teach her some taste and responsibility.

I haven't even decided what to do about a swim suit next summer. Babies in bikinis have always bugged me. I haven't seen any cute "shorts and a top" style suits for little girls though.

Kathy
Mommy to a wonderful baby girl
http://b1.lilypie.com/IX8zm7.png

3dears
10-04-2006, 01:20 PM
Sorry I sound judgmental. I think part of my problem is that I've been trying to navigate the waters of political correctness in my own life for such a long time that when I finally allowed myself to speak up it came out stronger than it might have had we all been in a big group conversation. I totally believe everything I wrote, though. It sounds strange but I'm actually pretty attached to many of you from reading the board for such a long time and I feel sad that I offended you. I intended to make you think. I adore the gal who says "Yowzer" but I disliked her saying that because it trivializes a conversation I think more mothers should have with themselves. Several of you said it's just a tee-shirt and that I was reading a lot in. There was a little boy in our neighborhood park the other day, he was maybe two, wearing a Budweiser tee. It's just a shirt, though, right? My baby got a bikini this summer and looked adorable in it. I colored crimson when my six-year-old asked why our baby was allowed to wear that kind of swimsuit but she was not. Will people judge you for dressing your kids in skulls? Probably not, but you're putting that image out into the world on your children. Same with mirco-minis for six-year-olds. Thank goodness for Hanna Andersson - I don't know how I'd find things little girl without that company. So you don't have to agree with me at all. But I just wanted you all to know that I'm out there. These things matter. The socio-economic side doesn't play in at all. I don't care how many hand-me-downs you have - you don't have to dress your children teeny-bopper or in skulls if you don't want to. I care about the images surrounding my daughters SO much. I thought of you all this morning because I was sitting in a doctor's office flipping through People magazine where I found a picture of Sharon Stone wearing a cute updo with a pearl-looking necklace, nice makeup and A SKULL AND CROSSBONE embroidered on her cardigan. I laughed out loud. My husband just came in and I told him I'm apologizing to you all for hurting your feelings and being insensitive. His take on skulls on children's clothing is that you might say you're doing it so your kiddos can be a vehicle for irony. They're never too young for a good joke. Take care.

oliviasmomma
10-04-2006, 01:21 PM
I probably should have been more specific and said that my response was more toward the tone of the pp post rather than the content. I really hope there are not a bunch of people out there afraid to voice their opinion--this board would be a very boring place if everyone agreed all of the time.

FWIW, I have no idea how to be "accepted" here either--from what I can tell people seem to get along for the most part. I might not agree with someone as far as politics, but totally get them when it comes to eating or Hanna passion! Maybe I'm just clueless, but it doesn't seem like disagreements on one thread carry over to others.

ppshah
10-04-2006, 01:41 PM
Okay, when I started this thread, I was just commenting on how it felt wierd to me to dress my 3 yo in a shirt with skulls. I think some of them are cute, but it just felt odd to me. I was just wondering if anyone else felt this way.

FTR, I'm a libertarian: so I think everyone should be free to do with as they please as long as it doesn't interfere with someone else liberties :). I feel both conservatives and liberals are trying to impose their values on me-they just choose different issues to do so.

See, you never know when you are going to start a debate.....

barbarhow
10-04-2006, 01:47 PM
Andrea-I actually agree with alot of what you are saying. I don't want my daughter wearing micro minis or other "sexy" outfits until she is at least 25! LOL. I think that the whole pirate thing has become popular because of the movie and as most fads will be fairly shortlived. For some reason I don't think that it is the same as a budweiser tshirt on a 2 yo. We live near the ocean. We see "pirate" ships all the time. We actually see the real live Bounty ship on which the movie was filmed on a regular basis. To us it is fun and history.
Thank you for coming back and clarifying. I think it would be pretty amazing to have some of these online discussions IRL. It would be so much easier to tolerate and forgive everyones words when they can be further discussed right then in the moment. And so much easier to interpret when you can hear tone, too.

ETA-we are big Hanna fans, too! :-)

Saartje
10-04-2006, 02:24 PM
>They do have the Target tees that say "Girls are just better"
>tho and I LOVE them. I was bummed that they didn't come small
>enough for the little one to have one too!

Hoping I can ask this without it sounding wrong, given that this thread has gotten somewhat heated at some points. I'm not trying to make a point by asking; it's a serious question that I want to know the answer to.

Why do you love those shirts so much, Angela? Would you feel the same way if you had a son, as well as three daughters? Would you feel the same way if I were to dress my son in a T-shirt that says, "Boys are just better?"

For the record, I find either of them equally offensive, and wouldn't dress a child of mine in a shirt with a slogan like that. (OTOH, I don't care about skulls one way or the other. Not my style, but it's a motif that I'm reasonably comfortable with.)

oliviasmomma
10-04-2006, 02:25 PM
I really didn't have any problem with the fact that you don't like the t-shirts. My comment about the shirts "just" being shirts was in relation to what I read as a personal attack. I have equally strong feelings about things other people think are trivial so please, rant away--I just don't think things like that should be used to attack another person's character. I don't think you were being judgemental in having a problem with the shirts--I wouldn't put them on my daughter either--or a bikini--or a micro-miniskirt. I would not imply that a parent who lets their daughter wear one is somehow a parent without values, however, and that is what I read in your post. There are people, parents, in fact, who view parents who dress their children in hand-me-downs as incompetent parents, and I was sharing my experience as a way to express the idea that I would not want to judge a person's character solely based on what they wear.

It took your six-year old to note a problem with the bikini--would you want someone like me, who would never put a bikini on a baby, to think you were a person without values because I saw your baby in one?

I can't stand baby bikinis, disney clothing or princess on the rear jeans, by the way, we most likely agree on more than it seems! I really wouldn't want you to apologize for having on opinion, and after reading other posts, I realize more people are keeping quiet than I realized. I never seem to have that problem--mine goes the other way and I can't seem to keep my mouth closed!

PS thanks for clarifying that you and the other poster know each other well--there are things I'd say to a friend that might sound harsh from the outside. I'm sorry if I responded too strongly, it just really touched a nerve with me!

oliviasmomma
10-04-2006, 02:29 PM
There was a time in my life when I would have put that shirt on DD. Now, though, it just makes me sad for the boys who would see it. I'd like to see more slogans that are about self-confidence without putting other people down, KWIM?

Tracey
10-04-2006, 03:15 PM
Hey Sheila...yes, I was talking to you :7

Dcclerk
10-04-2006, 04:40 PM
Try Mini Boden next summer. This summer they had a 3/4 length shirt rash guard and lycra shorts (that go past the knee) in pink hybiscus print. It was seriously the cutest bathing suit my DD owned (and she had about 5), and so great with the UV protection. I plan to buy a new suit every summer from MB.

candybomiller
10-04-2006, 04:42 PM
Thank you! Why does society insist on building one gender up by knocking the other down?!

punkrockmama
10-04-2006, 05:01 PM
>Why does society insist on building one gender up
>by knocking the other down?!

I HEARD that.

>His take on skulls on children's clothing is that you might say you're doing it so your kiddos can be a vehicle for irony. They're never too young for a good joke.

Umm, I don't use my kids as a vehicle for anything and I don't dress them up as a joke on the world.

You know, I totally stand by my whole say what you want as long as you can back it up and not letting people you don't know get you riled up. But, I'm kinda having a hard time doing that right now,lol. Maybe it's because I'm ready to pop or something but I think I need to tap out of this thread before my bp goes up anymore than it already is, hahaha. Peace.

1ceng1
10-04-2006, 11:32 PM
My DD wore the Janie and Jack sweatsuit with Baby on the butt when she was under the age of 1. I in no way ever thought it was sexualizing her. I never thought anyone would see it like that until I read about it on here. Why would it even cross someone's mind that there was anything sexual about it? She's a baby with a big diaper butt with the word baby on it because, well, she's a baby. Babies have been wearing tights and bloomers with ruffles on their butts for ages.

If there is something to be uncomfortable about, it's someone using the word "prostitots". Why on earth would anyone compare an innocent baby to a hooker? Now that is disturbing!

Saartje
10-05-2006, 12:20 AM
>If there is something to be uncomfortable about, it's someone
>using the word "prostitots". Why on earth would anyone compare
>an innocent baby to a hooker? Now that is disturbing!

Yes, the prostitot phenomenon is disturbing. The word itself isn't, IMO. "Prostitot" generally refers to preteen and teenage girls under the legal age of consent who dress in inappropriately adult clothing. (Miniskirts, thong underwear, push-up bras... any one thing might be okay, but taken together, yes, they can look like something a prostitute might wear.) Unfortunately, this style of clothing does get marketed at much younger kids; I read a little while back (was it here?) about Target selling padded bras that were being marketed at six-year-olds.

I don't have an issue with you dressing your daughter in something that said "Baby" on the butt. "Sweet Thang" or "Cute Chick" I would have a hard time seeing as equally neutral, though. ;)

AngelaS
10-05-2006, 05:05 PM
I guess I love my girls' shirts because they answer the question for me when people hound me about "are you going to try for a boy?" or "don't you wish you had a boy?" or "just girls, no boys?" Um, no, we just have girls and I couldn't be happier.

I guess I never read into it as being so offensive to boys but, duh, it is. I just asked dh if they were offensive and he said they were too. Oops.

And yes, I would feel differently, obviously if I had a boy. But I don't have boys and I really get annoyed by all the strangers in the world who assume that my girls aren't good enough because they aren't boys. Someone once held my newborn Meredith and sighed, "too bad this one wasn't a boy." That makes a mama bear's hackles rise and stay up.

Moneypenny
10-06-2006, 09:20 AM
Why do people assume you need at least one of each gender? My good friend, who had one boy, found out his wife was pregnant with another boy. I said, "Oh, they'll be such great buddies!" He got all choked up and said, "All my mom could say was "Oh, that's too bad."" Hrmph.

Susan
mama to my cutie pie, Avery
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]

Saartje
10-06-2006, 09:34 AM
That makes sense to me. :) Thanks for explaining.