PDA

View Full Version : Question about hemming...(entertaining elephants-based)

neeter
09-07-2006, 06:33 AM
I ordered pants in 4T for my son, and they haven't arrived yet, but I bet they are going to be way too long. I also ordered the cropped pants, and those arrived -- and fit perfectly as regular pants!

So my question is what to do with the extra-long pants? Is there a way to semi-permanently hem them and then let them down as he gets taller?

The thing is, I remember when I was younger my parents would do this, but once you let the hem down, there's a white ring where the pants used to be! Sort of embarassing for me (I must have been way older than 2). I know my son won't care, but seeing that white ring is gonna bug me and bring back bad memories!! Is there a way to hem and avoid that white ring?

I know I can probably roll up the top of the waist, but there's only so much you can roll if there's alot of extra length to deal with!

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

kcandz
09-07-2006, 12:35 PM
Are you referring to the knit pull-on pants? I don't know anything about sewing but it would seem that knit pants would not take a hem/letting down very well. There was a recent thread about turning onesies into t-shirts, there was lots of expert advice on how to deal with knits, and I think the conclusion was: it isn't easy. Maybe if your DC is growing slowly, they will fit later in the year or next spring?

neeter
09-07-2006, 02:25 PM
yes, i'm talking about the knit pull on pants...thanks for your feedback and suggestion to look at the other thread. i may have to take it to a tailor and see if they have any suggestions. i was hoping for him to be able to wear them in the fall, and the spring! :) thanks again!