PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone dyed sweat pants before?

jess_g
12-22-2006, 10:35 AM
I have a son with a lot of sensory issues. Since pre school he has decided he will only wear dark brown pants. While I found some great climbing pants from lands end in just the right color, but I can't find any sweat pants in the same color for him. I am wondering if anyone has died grey or white pants a darker color? Is it doable? Does the dye run every time you wash them or just the first few times? I am tempted to try it as it would be alot easier than searching for brown pants every time I am at the mall. What kind of dye would you recomend?

Thanks,

Jessica.

deenass
12-22-2006, 08:39 PM
the easiest dye to use is a product called DYLON (they sell it at Joann's - it's about $2 for a package of dye). Just add, salt, hot water and let it soak for an hour (read the directions - EASY). It is a fiber reactive dye so it won't run.

Stay away from RIT - it will run.

Use white sweat pants - no idea what would happen to gry if you tried to dye them brown.

Tondi G
12-22-2006, 10:36 PM
Hanna Andersson has some brown cargo sweatpants in case you haven't seen them yet! Good luck with the dying!

~Tondi

californiagirl
12-23-2006, 11:08 AM
I haven't dyed sweat pants but I've dyed a lot of leggings. Ones that are meant for dying will take the dye better -- if you use ones that are supposed to be done, be sure to get white ones and wash them well before dying. For blank ones and dyes, www.dharmatrading.com is a good choice.