PDA

View Full Version : How are Crocs, really?

hudsonam
12-26-2006, 04:02 PM
I saw a ton of these down the shore last summer. Are they really comfortable? Do they make your feet sweat? Are they easy enough for a 2 year old to walk in? I'm looking at them for both my DS and myself, maybe. ;)

snowangel
12-26-2006, 04:20 PM
My 3 year old DS LOOOOOOVES his Crocs. They are great if kids are in and out of the water a lot since they dry so easily. I love them for him. I don't like the look of them for me, but I know others swear by them.

tny915
12-26-2006, 04:31 PM
DD got Crocs over the summer and lived in them from the date of purchase well into autumn. When given a choice, she always reached for the Crocs. She easily learned to put them on and off herself, and she could run pretty quickly in them so I figure they were pretty comfortable for her.

We did have trouble with the sizing when she first got them, since they were a tiny bit too big for her. After she broke them in, they were fine, but while breaking them in, she would sometimes be walking along and her shoe would suddenly fall off. Would definitely buy them again!

Tondi G
12-26-2006, 04:32 PM
My 5 year old and my 19 month old LOVE their crocs! They are easy to take off and put on. I don't think they make your feet sweat much cause my 5 year old would complain about that if they did!

Have a look at www.crocs.com and check out all the styles out there. I am considering getting a pair of the slides this summer. My boys have the traditional clog looking ones with the holes!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

Marriedladytara
12-26-2006, 06:15 PM
I'm guessing you are somewhere in near Philly or S. Jersey to say "down the shore." Makes me giggle!

Anyway...I have crocs and I just adore them. They are so comfy and my feet are never sweaty in them. I think they are uuuuuuuuuugly, but lots of my comfy shoes are...and they're cute ugly, right?

C99
12-26-2006, 06:24 PM
My child is the exception to the Croc love. We had them the first year they came out in wee sizes (summer 2005) and every time my son wore his, the back part gave him blisters on his ankles.

hudsonam
12-26-2006, 07:01 PM
I'm in NJ. :-) LOL!

DebbieJ
12-26-2006, 08:07 PM
I like them for myself. They are convenient and comfy, but ugly as all get out. :)

I personally would not buy them for my son. He's too much of a klutz to begin with. He doesn't need slip on shoes to help him with that.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

Marisa6826
12-26-2006, 08:52 PM
Love 'em!

I have four or five pair, Sophie has two pair of the basic clogs with the holes. She also just got a pair of Croc 'boots' for Christmas. She wears them everywhere - even with her jammies to the breakfast table. ;)

I really want to try the new ballet slipper model, but am having a hard time finding them IRL.

I think there's a tiny learning curve with the kid ones. Sophie vacillates between flipping the strap back and forth (you can either wear them behind the heel, or flip forward for them to be true clogs). Since they're so light, it takes some getting used to having them on your feet. But really, it's no more than a couple hours before you're loving them. I honestly think they're as comfy as my Danskos or New Balance sneaks. I also wear them both barefoot or with socks depending on the weather. They're great to throw on if you need to walk the dog, run out to the car, etc.

I have two pair of the clogs with no holes (great for snowy, slushy weather), and two pair with holes, along with their flip flops. The flip flops were awesome when Sophie had swim lessons over the summer. I was able to wear them around the pool, and didn't need to take them off when I helped her shower. As far as sweating goes, the ones without holes can get a little hot. The regular (holed) versions are nicely 'ventilated'.

Nordstrom has a pretty good selection, and an amazing return policy if you decide you hate them. For $30 you can't beat Crocs!!

-m

sadie427
12-26-2006, 09:47 PM
DS loved them, and they were really great last summer, he turned three in august. He could put them on himself, they didn't fall off. I couldn't get him to wear them in the water (he insisted on barefoot) but they were great for the beach, camping and around the house. He insisted on pink and I really thought he'd stop wearing them after a while but didn't. They were worth it and we'll get another pair in the spring.

I got a pair of the knockoffs for myself (a little cheaper and fit better) and wear them to the beach and around the house. Couldn't get into the look for myself other than that, so maybe not worth it for me.

hudsonam
12-26-2006, 11:13 PM
I have narrow, flat feet. My feet typically swim in slip-on shoes. I wear around an 8 or 8.5 normally. I'm wondering if I should get a 7. I can get them on Shoebuy.com for $25 with free shipping and free returns, if they don't fit.

squimp
12-26-2006, 11:25 PM
DD had them last summer and she loved them. Wore them all the time. They were perfect swim/river shoes too. She was 2.5 and never had trouble walking in them.

MelissaTC
12-26-2006, 11:42 PM
I have them and DS has them. I love them. DS loves his. I got him a Disney pair for Christmas and he wanted to wear them to bed!! I swear they are really comfortable. I walked 11 miles in Disney World with them and was stopped everywhere. People wanted to know if they were comfortable. And they were!!!! In fact, I have mine on right now. ;)

swampnurse
12-26-2006, 11:42 PM
As a nurse, i see EVERY trend of clog and comfortable shoe since we are on our feet running for 12 hours! Everyone had Crocs at work, but i thought they were WAY too ugly and trendy. But THEN I found the University of Florida Gators special edition and HAD to buy them. Especially since we are going to the National Championship game on January 8th!

Anyway, they are SOOO comfortable that i have been wearing them everywhere, not just to work. Even wear them in the house. I have joined the herd! :)

caheinz
12-26-2006, 11:55 PM
I just got the Cayman's for about $20 at ShoeBuy (ebates + coupon + return customer discount). I can't find sandals that fit, because of the narrow/small-around foot problem. But -- I got the Crocs in my usual size, and they fit just fine. I wouldn't size down -- you'd never be able to put the strap behind your ankle, and your heel would hang off the back.

They aren't even snug around, but they seem to stay on fine with the "strap" either in place or out of the way.

hudsonam
12-27-2006, 12:44 AM
How cute is he?! I found this during a Google image search. Now I really have to get them for DS. I only wish I knew about them when he was this size! :)

ETA: Could my DS, who normally wears a 6.5 really need a size 10/11 in Crocs? An ebay seller lists the length from heel to toe, and the 8/9 is 6.25, which is equivalent to his NB sneakers now, and I want these to fit him through the summer, so her measurement of 7" for the 10/11 sounds right. But that doesn't sound right. LOL.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/37029.jpg

JoyNChrist
12-27-2006, 02:00 AM
No experience with the kid's Crocs, but I have a pair for myself and also a knock-off brand called Nothinz (no idea where they came from - they were a gift from MIL). I like the Crocs okay, but I LOVE my Nothinz! I find them so much more comfortable (and cheaper!) than the Crocs.

AddiesMom
12-27-2006, 06:21 AM
I thought the SAME THING!

-From a former L.B.I. gal now trapped in freakin' Massachusetts. I have gone from "down the shore" to "parkhin' the cah"! HELP!!!! LOL

AngelaS
12-27-2006, 06:55 AM
I have the Payless version for myself and wear them as my slippers around the house. I love, love, love them! My plantar facitis is alleviated and my feet are warm, but not sweating.

My dd who was 8 last summer loved hers and still grabs them first in December!

Next summer my two little ones will be getting them as well....they go on so fast and are stinkin' cute!

snowangel
12-27-2006, 12:22 PM
Hudsonam there is no way your DS would fit in the 10/11! I find they run TTS. My 3 year old is a size 10 and he wears the 10/11!

My DD is just getting into a size 7 and I would buy her the 6/7. At this age, it would be almost impossible to buy shoes that fit now and in the summer. They will either be way too big now and fall off or too small come summer. These aren't shoes that you can wear too big. They will just flop off.

amp
12-27-2006, 07:45 PM
Seems everyone loves them that I talk to.

I think they're just so-so.

They seems comfy at first, but don't feel so comfy long term on me.

Also, my feet do sweat in them. A lot. So I prefer something more open.

I was worried about my kid walking in them, but see plenty of kids his age wearing them. However, my kid just developed very sweaty, stinky feet this year, so I'm not at all sure I want to try these on him knowing that my feet sweat in them!

ETA: however, because I'm nuts, after looking at the crocs link, I'm considering some that are more like a slide. Go figure.

mom to little e
12-27-2006, 08:09 PM
Mine didn't want me to get them near him and had a hairy-canary fit when I insisted and put them on him in the store. He didn't like the fact that they were "bumpy" on the insides.

Maryann

kboyle
12-27-2006, 09:22 PM
we are a croc lovin' family!!!

and no, your ds is no way near a 10/11. charlie wears a sz 8 merrell shoe and wears an 8/9 croc, in the spring he was a sz 7 and the 6/7s fit perfectly, but i bought big since i knew his feet would grow before the end of summer...they were a bit big, but he still loves them! even in the snow he's insisted on wearing them ;)

max's feet were too tiny to find a pair that fit but TRU had knock-offs a few months back in a sz 5 that fit him great with socks and we got them...he loves his too, he hasn't tripped or stumbled while wearing them, well, he hasn't tripped or stumbled more than he usually does.

i was planning on getting charlie a no-holed one, but the daycare he goes to won't let you wear backless shoes, so i'll just wait till summer and get him another color. charlie has the royal blue color, max has a lt blue, DH has a navy and i've got purple.

BUY BUY BUY!!!

mum2girls
12-27-2006, 10:22 PM
My 5-year-old and 3-year-old got theirs last summer (when they were 4 and 2).

My 5-year-old didn't like hers -- I think they were ill-fitting for her.

My 3-year-old LOVES hers. She wears them as often as possible. Her strap broke last week and now she keeps saying, "I need new Cwocs!!!"

I wish that regular clogs were more plentiful for toddlers. I'm sure that they wouldn't work for many kids, but my 3-year-old is great in hers and I love that she can put them on and take them off by herself.

MNmomtobe
12-27-2006, 11:16 PM
I just got DD the ones from Payless last week. I think their brand is called AirWalks? Anyway, they have them for infants and kids there too. I got DD an infant size 3 because they're so dang cute but how I'll be able to keep them on her feet, I have no idea!

cmorgen
12-27-2006, 11:59 PM
DD has had them since she was 18 months and just ADORES them! She wants to wear them more than any other shoe, they are her favorite by far! They must be comfy for her. She can run in them with no problem.

hudsonam
12-28-2006, 11:35 AM
Thanks everyone! I think an 8/9 will be good for him. I checked them out in the Hallmark store yesterday, and I didn't have DS with me, but the 8/9 looked right, especially since I don't figure he'll wear them for a few more months when it gets warmer out.

I fit in an 8/9 in the Beach model, but the Cayman is the one I want, and according to their size chart that you can print out, I'm a 9. I want to get them from Shoebuy, and they have free returns, so it should be fine. I don't think I could wear them anywhere but around the beach and stuff in the summer though. I saw a ton there last year, but I don't see them at all around my home town. But if they're really, really comfy, I'll wear them. :)