PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Baby Cool

JoyNChrist
12-27-2006, 04:53 PM
I've seen lots of posts about how to keep DC warm, but I haven't seen much about keeping an infant cool.

I live in southern Louisiana, and our four seasons are Hot, Hotter, Hottest, and Hell. :-) It's also super-humid most of the time. So I'm much more concerned with keeping DS from overheating than I am with keeping him warm.

I know that cotton clothes breathe better than polyester, but I was wondering if anybody has recommendations for specific brands that tend to breathe really well and keep baby cool. I'm also thinking of investing in one of those super-light slings or pouches that are made of that really cool material.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

C99
12-27-2006, 04:57 PM
Well, you can always keep baby in a onesie or just a diaper when it gets really hot. My kids lived in short-sleeved, short-pants one-piece rompers during their first and second summers. Babies will sweat, so just make sure that you keep your baby hydrated and be prepared for him to drink more breastmilk or formula during hotter times of the year.

lisams
12-27-2006, 05:01 PM
For swaddling I found the BEST blanket for those that live in warmer climates (the mom who runs the business lives here in AZ). They are a bit pricey, but very big and made of a light gauzy material http://www.solanababywear.com/store/. I ordered the basic in blue and green.

JoyNChrist
12-27-2006, 05:20 PM
Ooh, those look neat. Thanks!

lizajane
12-28-2006, 09:07 AM
bubbles! they have "overall" type straps and no legs. for babies, the elastic legs keep them from riding up all funny. and for next year, jon jons. the woven cotton is much cooler than the knit cotton. i will look for a link.