PDA

View Full Version : supportive "slippers"?

nofeea
01-08-2007, 04:10 PM
DD's class has a new policy of Indoor/Outdoor shoes. They want the children to change out of their "outdoor" shoes when they get to school and put on slippers or "indoor" shoes. I'm really not crazy about the idea since I don't think slippers are the best for walking around in all day. I did question the policy but I don't want to make a huge deal over it if no other parents mind. DD now asks me for slippers evey day but I'd like to find something a bit more supportive to send in for her. My ability to go out shopping now is limited (DD now has a 3 week old baby brother!) so I've been surfing online but haven't come up with anything that looks appropriate. (She's toddler size 8.5).

Any ideas? Thanks.

new_mommy25
01-08-2007, 04:16 PM
How old is your DD? My DS has been wearing flip flops since he was 2. Another option would be crocs. Both are easy on, easy off.

kcimato
01-08-2007, 04:23 PM
What is the reason for this poicy? Do they want them to wear some other shoe so that they don't track in mud or dirt? If that's the case you could probably go with any kind of shoe. Crocs or flip flops would be my suggestion too.

needscaffeine
01-08-2007, 05:59 PM
My dd (4) took a camp this summer for 3 hours a day and they had the same policy about indoor/outdoor shoes. I ended up buying her a pair of Stride Rite slippers, which she really liked. Crocs are a good suggestion, I hadn't thought of them at the time.

Tondi G
01-08-2007, 06:21 PM
www.crocs.com ... my kiddos love their crocs

Uggs

Haflinger boiled wool slippers/clogs

http://www.schnees.com/catalog/kids/childrens-slippers/p_ac-1149ace.html

Good luck

~Tondi
MOmmy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

squimp
01-08-2007, 06:34 PM
We have the same policy at our school and Robeez are what most kids wear. Some ballet slippers. They do it to keep the kids from tracking dirt all over the floor then sitting in that dirt. Also, it's more comfortable to sit say crosslegged on the floor if you're wearing slippers, as opposed to socks. We use Robeez type shoes or these -

www.softstarshoes.com

Melanie
01-08-2007, 07:11 PM
I use robeez-style b/c I believe at young age barefoot-like is best anyway.

For Ds for school (same policy) I chose www.joshoes.com or www.mossfeetshoes.com but anything like RObeez works. Also some kids wear Swedish Moccassins like Hanna or socks with grips on the bottom.

nfowife
01-08-2007, 08:04 PM
I'd do robeez type shoes as well- that's what my DD wears when she's in our house because she is all over the furniture and I can't imagine it's very comfy in hard-soled shoes. Plus research shows that barefoot/soft soled shoes are actually better for the developing foot in terms of balance, walking, running, etc.

nofeea
01-09-2007, 02:00 PM
So I guess I've missed the crocs craze. Tell me more. Just by looking at them I can't tell if they would really stay on during running, climbing, etc. (There are indoor climbers in the school). I keep picturing broken ankles, stubbed or stepped on toes, etc...
Also they don't really strike me as winter shoes. The website says 'socks optional' but has anyone tried them with socks?

I know 'barefoot is best' for developing feet but for Pre-K it seems like there should be some more support for running around. Am I wrong? The soft shoes seem to get phased out after the pre-walker stage...

CiderLogan
01-09-2007, 02:26 PM
My 3-year-old LOVES her Crocs. She's generally a bit clumsy, but she does much better running, etc. in the Crocs than I thought she was. She also does ok with socks in them. But if the indoor climbers are high, I'd think a slipper-type shoe would be better. Does the school have any recommendations? I'd think those Hanna mocs would be nice.

Jenny
Julia, 8/03
Clara, 5/06

Tondi G
01-09-2007, 02:33 PM
My 5 year old wears his crocs with and without socks and he runs in them just fine! They have closed ones (without holes) that might stay a little warmer! We live in So Cal so my kids wear the regular ones with holes!

squimp
01-09-2007, 02:42 PM
Our school is mostly carpeted, so the soft shoes work best. There are about 100 kids up to age 12 in DD's school, and they all wear soft shoes in the school except when they're outside where they wear rubber boots or street shoes on nice days. Seems to work for them.

Crocs are fine with socks. They stay on DD's feet really well, so they'd be a good alternative. He'll be wearing them inside, right, so it doesn't matter that they're not winter shoes.