PDA

View Full Version : Ugh! Spots on clothing that's been in storage!

s7714
01-08-2007, 04:58 PM
I've been sorting out the clothing I had put in storage for DD #2 to grow into and I'm coming across all these yellow spots on things. It's driving me crazy, because I washed all these things directly before putting them away!

So I guess the question is, will the hot water/oxyclean solution get these spots out? Or am I stuck with a bunch of clothes that I thought were going to be in great shape to pass on to DD but will turn out to be play clothes?

Has anyone had success in getting post storage spots out?

TIA,
Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Antsy-Pants 6/05

Our bones may be brittle, but our spirit is unbreakable.
Osteogenesis Imperfecta www.oif.org

trumansmom
01-08-2007, 05:34 PM
Perhaps I wasn't doing it right and others had better luck, but sadly I had a bunch of beautiful hand me downs with the same problem. I was never able to get the spots out. My SIL was heartbroken when she found out, as was I!

Hope you have better luck!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

Tondi G
01-08-2007, 06:24 PM
I had the same problem. Luckily it wasn't on that much stuff! I would suggest the hot water oxiclean soak.... rub oxiclean directly on the spots and scrub with an old soft toothbrush... wash and see how it turns out! It's worth a try if not then you have some playclothes on your hands!

Good luck

~Tondi

Lovingliv
01-08-2007, 06:26 PM
Having the same issue here...such a bummer!
Well, have fun shopping!!!!

Momof3Labs
01-08-2007, 09:23 PM
Yes, try hot water/oxyclean. My mom got some of these spots out of one of *my* baby outfits using that method!

Wife_and_mommy
01-08-2007, 09:33 PM
I use Oxyclean. I was able to get all my stains out.

I start with hot water, dissolve the biz, and let the clothes soak overnight before I wash. You could try that if you don't want to scrub. I'm not a fan of scrubbing,lol.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

I love them most when they are sleeping.--Me
http://b3.lilypie.com/UnbPm4.png
http://b1.lilypie.com/QQKqm4.png

JenaW
01-09-2007, 04:43 PM
I was just coming here to complain to you guys for causing me to become Hanna obsessed, and saw this post. I only have a few minutes, but wanted to second the Oxyclean suggestion. I too noticed tons of yellowing - spots/stains, etc and was devastated. Every single one of my newborn onesies had yellow necklines, and many of my outfits were noticeably discolored. I bought the oxyclean powder at Sam's CLub - about $11 for a box of it - and mized it according to the stain fighter directions. I think it is one scoop of power per one gallon of HOT water (as hot as the fabric can stand). I cranked up the hot water heater and used my washing machine on the smallest load - filled it up to where I knew it was about 6 gallons or so and added 6 scoops of powder. After it dissolved, I added all of the white stuff first and soaked overnight. Once the water had cooled, I added all of the colored stuff - don't know if the temp mattered (I am sure the oxyclean COULD cause bleeding too, but the hot water scared me more). I let it soak for about 3 days (would have gone longer, but I needed to do actual laundry too!). About 1-2 times/day if I remember, I rubbed the fabric together where I remembered stains were (i.e. the neckline of the onesies) and put the garment back into the water. After the trhee days, I drained and rinsed everything (just ran it through a rinse cycle). Then I colored sorted and washed as normal - whites on hot and colors on cold with Tide Free. EVERYTHING came out looking brand new!! I am sold on this oxyclean stuff. Now I simply keep a bucket of it - 4 gallon bucket from Home Depot with 4 scooops of powder) in my wash tub. When something gets dirty (i.e. my newborn leaks breastmilk poo all over her clothes) I rinse out as much as I can in cold water and drop it in the bucket until I launder. As long as the water is no longer hot, I have not had a problem mixing whites and colors. The longer you can soak the better. Some things that I only soaked for one day did not come quite as clean.

Whew...sorry so long-winded. I hope this helps the OP and anyone else

Jera

edited - I was going to try and fix the typos, but Alexa is awake. Sorry

fate
01-10-2007, 12:12 AM
Yes, I posted a simialar question here last year and did a search of these boards as well. Some brilliant BBBer suggested washing and then letting clothes dry out in the sun. AMAZING! It totally worked. Mine were mostly white clothes and they came out brilliantly. It was mid summer here in CA, so a lot of sun but something about the sun breaking down the enzymes in breastmilk spitup??? Anyhow I remember cursing at the clothes thinking I KNOW these were spotless when I packed them... Good luck.