PDA

View Full Version : baby laundry detergent....

SAHMIL
01-10-2007, 09:11 AM
My dumb question of the day: Is it worth it to buy the baby laundry detergents e.g. Dreft or All Baby or can I wash baby's clothing, sheets, etc. with mine and my husbands?

egoldber
01-10-2007, 09:23 AM
I think that most people use their regular laundry detergent for everything. :)

amp
01-10-2007, 09:54 AM
No.

We wash everything together in either All or Tide free type formulas.

MeAndMyStar
01-10-2007, 10:11 AM
I used Dreft for a long time with my DD. I don't think it was really necessary. We just recently switched to Charlie's Soap. It's biodegradable, no excess stuff like softeners and brighteners and so far we really like it. Here's a link if you want to check it out. http://www.charliesoap.com/index.asp

I would say, wash a few of the baby's items with the detergent you want to use and watch for any reaction, like redness or a rash. Many babies are sensitive to scents. HTH and good luck!

Beth568
01-10-2007, 11:04 AM
I keep my kids' clothes separate, but I use the same detergent. I LOVE Charlie's Soap for all of our laundry!!

I just know that I have to pay more attention to the little clothes because they're more likely to need pretreatment for spots and stains. I agree that it's worth watching out for sensitivities in new babies. That's why I like Charlie's so much; my younger DD has very sensitive skin and doesn't do well with any kind of artificial fragrances. Her skin is in much better shape when I use detergent with no additives. :)

tarahsolazy
01-10-2007, 11:32 AM
The baby stuff seems really smelly, which I don't associate with gentle or hypoallergenic. So I used our regular scent-free type detergent from the start, which worked well, as far as rashes, etc.

katiesmommy
01-10-2007, 12:18 PM
We washed DD's clothes with ours the whole time and had no problems. I have a friend though who she and her sisters all have super-sensitive skin, they always had to use Dreft. Actually I think she still does.

SummerBaby
01-10-2007, 12:23 PM
Dreft actually has a scent, which could be an irritant if your baby has sensitive skin. When my DD developed eczema as an infant, I switched to All Free & Clear which is not only cheaper than Dreft or Tide, but I think it works better, and it doesn't irritate her skin.

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

charp2000
01-10-2007, 11:18 PM
I've used the Target brand of the baby detergent (it's unscented) for both of my kids...at least for the first year or so. Not sure if it made a difference (vs the regular Tide or Kirkland laundry detergent I use for the rest of the laundry) but it's one less culprit for the times DS did break out with short-lived mystery rashes.

With DD I've discovered the wonders of Baby Oxi-Clean. It's a great presoak to remove all the spitup, baby food, drool, and diaper blowout stains!

Jill

Mommy to Benjamin 3/02 & Rachel 5/06

MNmomtobe
01-10-2007, 11:22 PM
I am not sure if it's necessary but we use All's Free and Clear for DD's clothes and the Target brand perfume-free dryer sheets.

luv_my_girl
01-12-2007, 04:16 PM
My ped actually recommended AGAINST using Dreft for baby laundry. It coats the clothing with a thin film of something or other that makes it feel softer...but can irritate the skin.

mrskingred
01-17-2007, 09:40 AM
I wash with my regular detergent. I used to use All Free& Clear but was having problems with my diaper, so switched to Charlies soap which we love.

MelissaTC
01-17-2007, 07:46 PM
I wash DS's clothes in the same detergent we wash ours- All Free and Clear. I used Dreft when he was an infant but it irritated his skin. I tried Baby All and then figured why not free and clear?

cstack
01-17-2007, 10:08 PM
DS2 had eczema too. I tried the ALL free and clear, but didn't see any difference in the eczema. The only thing that helped was a special baby wash and shampoo that I could only get in the organic department at Wegmans and now can't find at all. I have to say that the scent is what I absolutely love about Dreft. such a sweet smell that I have come to associate with babies. I wash the car seat covers in it just to have that sweet baby smell in my car. However, as with all PP, I have to agree that there's no reason why you couldn't use your regular detergent. At least try it.

cstack
01-17-2007, 10:09 PM
DS2 had eczema too. I tried the ALL free and clear, but didn't see any difference in the eczema. The only thing that helped was a special baby wash and shampoo that I could only get in the organic department at Wegmans and now can't find at all. I have to say that the scent is what I absolutely love about Dreft. such a sweet smell that I have come to associate with babies. I wash the car seat covers in it just to have that sweet baby smell in my car. However, as with all PP, I have to agree that there's no reason why you couldn't use your regular detergent. At least try it.