PDA

View Full Version : How much do you spend on clothing per child per season? (not including shoes, jammies, or outerwear)

spanannie
01-11-2007, 01:27 PM
Just curious. I don't even have a clue as to what I spend on them and need to start paying attention to that.

squimp
01-11-2007, 01:35 PM
I think you forgot to add "I plead the 5th" :P

VClute
01-11-2007, 01:50 PM
This is a toughie. I buy WAY too many clothes, but almost everything at consignment sales, which are only twice a year. I went to one recently and spent 139.00 on things for DS and baby girl. But that bought me 29 items.

Once DS is out of cute clothes, I'll probably spend a lot less on him. I just can't turn down a cute jon jon, and even by consignment sale standards, those can be expensive. And lately, the pregnancy hormones have FORCED me (yeah, that's the ticket) to do a lot more online shopping than I normally would. I see a deal, and swoon. Plus, I'm trying to get cute separates for DS in anticipation of potty training (next fall and winter) and girl things are new territory that must be explored. :)

I'll have to start keeping track, though - no way to admit I have a problem if I don't know how much I'm spending... sigh...

Amy in NC
mom to Dixon, born 2/14/05
...and let the shopping begin!

A GIRL (!!) Due 3/30/07

trumansmom
01-11-2007, 01:56 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking. Heaven forbid my husband could look at this poll!!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

Pennylane
01-11-2007, 02:00 PM
I don't even want to know how much I spend, but I can guess it is over $500.00 for my 5 yr old dd and probably 300.00 each for my two younger ones.I am a sucker for cute childrens clothes.

I am pretty good about ordering on sale for next year though.

Ann

lisams
01-11-2007, 02:09 PM
I usually spend about $20-25 per outfit (top and bottom) and she has about 8 "play/comfortable" outfits. Then she has a few nicer outfits and a few "get really messy in" ones. So, I'm guessing about $300. I almost always buy on sale, especially with Gymbo and Hanna.

I have found that the older she gets, the more I'm OK with spending $$ on quality since she stays in the same size much longer and they get played in hard which means they are getting washed more too! I'd rather get stuff that is going to last the whole season than have everything faded and falling apart 2 months into the season.

dules
01-11-2007, 03:26 PM
Hmmm, I voted 3-5 but if you split it into 4 seasons it would definitely be less. I tend to stretch summer stuff into Fall and Winter stuff into Spring by using short sleeve tees with pants or dresses without tights in Spring and layering in Fall, so rarely do I buy for Spring or Fall.

Clear as mud, lol.

Mary

laretce6
01-11-2007, 03:36 PM
I voted 3-5 and it's probably closer to 5 (or at least 4, since I don't count shoes separately), but as said above if you divided it between 4 seasons it would be less. I really only do a roster for Fall/Winter and Spring/Summer combined. I'm fairly good at keeping cost per outfit down, but then when you add in socks, undershirts, hairbows, outerwear, etc. it really adds up fast!

Caroline
Mama to Eleanor Katherine 8.2.04
and baby sister arrivng 2.2007

juliasmom05
01-11-2007, 03:50 PM
More than I spend on myself :-).

Marci

C99
01-11-2007, 03:50 PM
I spend about $250 per child per season, including shoes, outerwear, PJs, underwear, etc. So about $800/year per child.

shishamo
01-11-2007, 03:53 PM
I'm not sure, especially since my younger ones do get some hand-me-downs.

I'm thinking lower 200 for my son per season (either spring/summer or fall/winter), upper 200 to lower 300 for my daughter. My youngest do get a lot of hand-me-downs so she's probably like lower 200 (girls are expensive!).

I only shop when things are on sale as well.

Piglet
01-11-2007, 05:24 PM
These days, not much. DS1 doesn't grow as quickly as he used to and I have lots of great clothes to hand-down to DS2. If anything, I am spending less money this year than any year prior. For DS2, I bought 1 winter coat, 6 tops, 3 pairs of pants and 4 sets of PJs in the last 3 months and they were all cheap (mostly clearance at Old Navy). I would have bought less had DS1 and DS2 been the same season, but I have a lot of summer clothes from DS1 that are of no use for DS2 right now! For DS1, I bought 3-4 pairs of pants, 2 tops and nothing else. Soon enough he will have another growth spurt and I will be shopping like crazy, but for now all is quiet on the clothing front.

For the 2 kids combined, I maybe spent $200 this season.

spanannie
01-11-2007, 05:35 PM
I do that too.

spanannie
01-11-2007, 05:36 PM
I don't even want to add up what I truly spend. It's frightening!

scoop22
01-11-2007, 08:54 PM
i guess i don't spend all that much. ds is the first grandchild on my side of the family. my mother goes nuts. we also have great friends and my sil is wonderful.. we have so many nice name brand clothes with tags on them from others. dh just told me today we have to go through the 4 bins and keep what we want in the next size. i do buy a few things b/c i can't resist.

http://b2.lilypie.com/XbITm4.png

lizajane
01-11-2007, 10:47 PM
amy- you need to come to raleigh for the divine consign show march 8th weekend. i think divineconsign.com?

lizajane
01-11-2007, 10:51 PM
i am guessing 100-200. i remember getting a TON of stuff at the talbots end of season sale last winter and thinking that they only thing left to buy was jeans. and i spent about $200, which was mostly for schuyler, with some matching items for dylan. since dylan gets all of schuyler's clothes, i only buy him things that i can't possibly live without due to extreme cuteness (the hanna soft alpine sweater- too expensive even on sale, but i FREAKIN' LOVE IT) or things to match his big brother. i shop consignment/swap/ebay, but really, i make most of their nice clothes, and most of their matching clothes. lately, i only spend money on fabric, not on clothes.

spanannie
01-11-2007, 11:18 PM
I buy ahead at sales, too. The problem is that I buy ahead and forget what all I have and then buy again...and even if I didn't underestimate what I bought the year before, I'm sure I'd still be too tempted by the new stuff. I guess I should just quit buying ahead.

MNmomtobe
01-12-2007, 12:08 AM
Lots. I told myself I wouldn't but I don't have much self-restraint. I am too afraid to add it up. In my defense, I have purchased almost nothing for myself since DD was born 7 months ago.

hanaum02
01-12-2007, 10:08 AM
Isn't that the truth - I buy nothing for myself anymore and way too much for my son. I ask for clothing gift certificates for my birthday and christmas and that is the only clothes I bother to purchase for myself.

Michelle
Zach (9/3/04)

aliceinwonderland
01-12-2007, 10:47 AM
I honestly don't know...I did notice that DS sufficient clothes for at least the next two seasons(i buy ahead), so I am not buying anymore (till I go to Europe this summer, that is!).

luv_my_girl
01-12-2007, 04:06 PM
I voted 300-500 but it really depends on the season. In winter, its about 4-5, but in summer only 2-3. Sweaters and coats are expensive. Also the fall and spring clothes overlap.

I also count EVERYTHING including underwear, jackets, swimsuits, etc. All those miscellaneous things really add up.