PDA

View Full Version : Toddler sandals: open toe or fisherman style?

MonicaH
01-14-2007, 02:20 PM
I was just looking at the summer SKRs and they're adorable! But this brings up the question whether it's better for a toddler (will turn 2 this summer) to have fisherman style sandals with the covered toes, or if open toes are okay? Will she hurt herself if the toes are uncovered?

Thanks,
Monica

katiesmommy
01-14-2007, 02:32 PM
Either is probably fine, IMO it's a matter of personal preference. I prefer fisherman style sandles, but that's not just for toddlers, I prefer them all the way through childhood. I just like the way they look more so then open toes.

mommyto4
01-14-2007, 03:29 PM
My kids used to trip in the open toed sandals but, not in the fisherman style ones. Might have just been my kids though (they are pretty clumsy). I have always liked the look of the fisherman style ones anyway.

SnuggleBuggles
01-14-2007, 03:56 PM
I think open toe would be fine for a toddler.. We have been buying Tevas forever for ds. I figure if I am hot and want little on my feet that ds would too.

Btw, Tevas rock. They can get wet, go in the washing machine and just hold up well and seem to be really comfortable. And the price isn't bad either. :)

At ds' school they are required to wear closed toed shoes. I bought some Lands' End mesh like shoes that worked well last year but they seemed to be less comfy than his sandals.

Beth

shburks
01-14-2007, 04:50 PM
I prefer fishermen style sandals, too. DS was a late walker and I didn't want him little toes all scrubbed up from tripping on the sidewalk in open toe sandals! Besides, all ds wears (at 2 years+) is See Kai Run so fishermen sandals for us!

I really just like the way they look better, too.

Susan

daniele_ut
01-14-2007, 05:10 PM
I prefer fisherman style sandals for DS, though he had a pair of each last summer. 2 pairs of leather sandals was kind of overkill, though, so we'll just have one pair this summer. I have 2 pairs of Jumping Jacks put away and whichever one fits he'll wear and the other pair will get sold.

lizajane
01-14-2007, 05:16 PM
stuff gets stuck in the fisherman style, like sand and pebbles. we prefer tevas overall. but we do also like keen's a lot for running around.

AngelaS
01-14-2007, 05:44 PM
Rememember as a child, running down the sidewalk or your foot slipping off the pedal of your bike and how much it hurt when your big toe would hit the sidewalk and how that little flap of skin would rip off and then after you ran screaming and crying to your mom, how she'd make you sit up on the counter while she took out her scissors and insisted on cutting off that flap of skin that was hangin' there??

Closed toe here.... :D

MommyAllison
01-14-2007, 06:35 PM
Ugh, reading that made me shudder! I have been trying to decide what style to get for DD and that might have just pushed me over the edge... :)

Allison
Mama to DD 11/05

C99
01-14-2007, 08:05 PM
I do not remember that, but slipping out of the fronts of sandals is a big reason that we do closed-toe sandals here. DS wore Keens last summer and they worked well.

babyready
01-16-2007, 06:03 PM
I was leaning toward open toe this year because last spring we had closed sandals and dd's feet would get all sweaty and the shoes started to get really stinky. Are we the only ones that had that problem? Any suggestions?

caleymama
01-16-2007, 06:34 PM
I prefer closed toe for a kid that age. For any kind of play I also like closed toe shoes better. If we went to the playground (with gravel) or rode bikes, sneakers were a must.

kaitlinsmommy
01-16-2007, 06:38 PM
We've always done open-toes. I don't like the look of closed toes & it's super hot in Dallas, so my kids need them as open as possible. DD is 4, ds is 1 1/2 & they've never had any problems.

stefani
01-16-2007, 09:22 PM
I like fisherman style sandals, so mostly that is what DS wears. He had the Marek from SKR (which is just like JCito, but in dark navy) last Summer, and I bought one for next Summer already. I like the JCito, so I might get that later in a larger size.

SnuggleBuggles
01-16-2007, 09:33 PM
I think they all get stinky (closed/ open). :) I just washed ds' Tevas and they still smell.

I think it is the lack of socks and probably some getting wet that ups the smelliness factor for sandals v regular shoes.

Beth

MelissaTC
01-17-2007, 05:30 AM
We do both. I admit to having him in fisherman style exclusively when he was younger. Last summer, he had a nice nubuck fisherman pair for church and dressier occasions, and a pair of Keens and LE action sandals for every day. He preferred the LE sandals and the Keens.