PDA

View Full Version : Shoes for 9 mo old Boy

jendavid
01-19-2007, 09:22 PM
My 9 mo old is starting to walk, so we are looking for shoes. He has the Target Robeez knock-offs, but they only lasted a couple weeks. (He's quite active!) We then got a pair of Baby Merrels and have really liked those. He is about to outgrow them and we have a hard time finding shoes for boys - lots for girls.

Should he stay in the Robeez types or move to something a little more sturdy? Stride Rite has some, but they are pretty expensive for a fast growing baby! Any recommendations?

duvie
01-23-2007, 09:22 AM
I love Livie and Luca (livieandluca.com) because they are so flexible. DS wore these and Bobux until he was almost 2. Livie and Luca has recently gotten more expensive, but I like them better than Stride Rite for early walkers.

brittone2
01-23-2007, 11:02 AM
SOft soles are definitely the best for overall foot development. Until a child is walking well enough outside that he/she needs a shoe to protect them from uneven surfaces, rocks, etc., soft soles are your best option (Robeez and similar). I doubt your 9 month old is going to be hiking around outside much just yet if he recently started walking.

For the next level up in terms of sole protection, my favorites are the very flexible rubber soles like those of softstar shoes.

I was a pediatric physical therapist before DS was born so it is an issue near and dear to my heart LOL :)

BeachBum
01-23-2007, 07:46 PM
I agree with the comments about sticking with the soft soles. I'm not sure if I've seen the "baby" merrels, but all the merrels that I've seen I feel are too sturdy for my guy--even now that he has been walking for about 6 mo.

I absolutely feel like the name brand shoes (robeez and bobux) hold up much better than the Target ones and other knockoffs.

Even if your son starts walking now, it will be a while before you really let him walk in stores, sidewalks etc. At least it was like that with us. So finding a really protective shoe isn't a big priority.

Another brand of shoe to check out (and our favorite) is Gucio, found at toddlertreads.com

debsterchen
01-23-2007, 07:51 PM
Question about the Gucios - Would you put them in the category for first soft soled shoes like Bobux & Robeez or are they more like the "next step"? I want to get my 9 mo DS a pair but if they are more for when he walks well, then I should wait and sticj with Robeez for now since he's not really walking yet. Thanks.

jendavid
01-24-2007, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the feedback. Are the See Kai Run shoes soft soled? They have some really cute styles. Also, it looks like the Preschoolians have some good ones that also have rubber soles.

These are the baby Merrells. They have a really soft sole and they have held up really well. They only come in up to 6 month size which is why you may not have seen them. My DS has little feet!

http://www.shoes.com/product.asp?p=5005509%7EKids%7CBoys%7CInfants%7EME RR&sc=KIDS&variant_id=07301

jendavid
01-24-2007, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the feedback. Are the See Kai Run shoes soft soled? They have some really cute styles. Also, it looks like the Preschoolians have some good ones that also have rubber soles.

These are the baby Merrells. They have a really soft sole and they have held up really well. They only come in up to 6 month size which is why you may not have seen them. My DS has little feet!

http://www.shoes.com/product.asp?p=5005509%7EKids%7CBoys%7CInfants%7EME RR&sc=KIDS&variant_id=07301

MeAndMyStar
01-24-2007, 11:10 AM
See Kai Runs do have a very flexible sole and are really cute. They are more suitable for outdoor use than Robeez and similar shoes. My DD is on her second pair. Beware that they do scuff easily, though, so may not be good for a crawler. Preschoolians were really good for my DD when she was still crawling and starting to cruise. Both are great shoes!

See Kai Run is especially good for wide feet (styles without stiching around sole are wider than those with stiching) and Preschoolians have different footbeds for narrow, regular and wide width feet.

Have you looked at Pediped? http://www.pediped.com/Home/Home.aspx
They were my favorite when DD was still crawling (but, they can scuff a little) and can be worn outdoors as well. HTH!

MeAndMyStar
01-24-2007, 11:10 AM
See Kai Runs do have a very flexible sole and are really cute. They are more suitable for outdoor use than Robeez and similar shoes. My DD is on her second pair. Beware that they do scuff easily, though, so may not be good for a crawler. Preschoolians were really good for my DD when she was still crawling and starting to cruise. Both are great shoes!

See Kai Run is especially good for wide feet (styles without stiching around sole are wider than those with stiching) and Preschoolians have different footbeds for narrow, regular and wide width feet.

Have you looked at Pediped? http://www.pediped.com/Home/Home.aspx
They were my favorite when DD was still crawling (but, they can scuff a little) and can be worn outdoors as well. HTH!