PDA

View Full Version : Big kid shoes to wear w/o socks?

curlytop
01-20-2007, 08:44 AM
My almost 6 year old dd has sensory difficulties, and although we have almost conquered them, at certain times she has flare-ups. Her latest issue is a sock sensitivity. Lines, bunching, fabric, too loose, too tight, she is just miserable. I've tried all sorts of seam-free socks to no avail.
Are there any shoes out there meant to be worn without socks? She wears a kids 12. We live in a tropical climate so warmth us not an issue. She would wear flip-flop everyday if I let her, but she needs something more sturdy and safer for school and play.
Thanks!

Andrea S
01-20-2007, 11:12 AM
We love the keen shoes. Andrew has worn them the past 2 summers. They are great for play because the toes are covered.

Andrea
mom to A 8/02
& B 3/06

Sangiovese
01-20-2007, 11:43 AM
Maybe crocs?

My DD6 wore the Payless version all over WDW last week and actually preferred them to her tennis shoes. She wore them with socks some, but that was a lot of walking at WDW. She would wear flip-flops everyday, too, if I let her, but I agree with you about the sturdy/safety factor.

Check the web site... http://www.crocs.com/home.jsp

The Payless version is about half the price, but I think that Crocs have anti-microbial or something and I'm not sure that the Payless ones do. I would check on that, esp. if she's going to wear them without socks and a lot.

Enjoy!

hardysmom
01-20-2007, 01:56 PM
2 of my 3 kids have sensory prossessing disorder-- I know the challenge. My 5 yr old (size 12) DS has sock/shoe issues, though he currently seems satisfied with the stride rite seamless tube socks...

Anyway, Keens work well for us as would the Geox Bike. The tough part is finding a closed toe that won't let anything much inside the shoe, which just causes a fit. For that reason, I would do the Keen Newports over the Venice style.

Crocs also work well for both my sensory kids. The new mary janes are pretty cute. Crocs.com is the best place to see all of the styles.

We can't do any Merrills and Primigi seems to cause problems for my DS because of something about the tounge leaning to one side, ugh...

Let me know what works for you. I'm always looking for ideas.

Stephanie

MelissaTC
01-20-2007, 05:50 PM
Another vote for Keen Newports or Crocs. My DS loves both and while he does not have sensory integration issues, he really hates wearing socks.

mapg
01-20-2007, 08:00 PM
My daughter wore the keds tennis shoes without socks in the summer (she could slip them on herself) It was the one with the cushioned back, I noticed Hanna Andersson had some tennis shoes with a cushioned back. Keen's have a cushioned back as well.

the keds style is the Karen.

mom2emma
01-20-2007, 08:51 PM
I would go with Crocs. My 2 year old loves them and will often pick them over her Eccos!

Bess

snowangel
01-21-2007, 12:53 PM
My DS has some serious issues with shoes too *sigh* so I know what you are going through. The two pair of shoes he can tolerate are his darn light up Thomas the Train shoes from Walmart and his Crocs. He seriously loves these shoes. So I would give the Crocs a try. The nice thing is that they can put them on themselves too. And then you could take her out and have her choose some Dora shoes or something. They like to pick out their own shoes.