PDA

View Full Version : Spinoff: How old is too old for girls to wear rompers/bubbles?

MommyAllison
01-20-2007, 03:10 PM
I was surprised to see all of the responses on the boy romper thread saying that 1 year was the oldest people would put their DS in rompers. Is it different for girls? Personally, I have several rompers and a couple of bubbles for DD for this summer, and have no qualms about putting them on her though she'll be 18-22 months this summer (and walking since last August). So is it different for girls, or am I just strange? :P

Allison
Mama to DD 11/05

VClute
01-20-2007, 03:34 PM
It's different for girls. Kind of like how you can put a newborn boy in a daygown but really need to cut out the "dresses" by 3 months or so... Girls can wear dresses forever! And I think I'll put DD in a bubble until she's 2 or so.

Amy in NC
mom to Dixon, born 2/14/05
...and let the shopping begin!

A GIRL (!!) Due 3/30/07

June Mommy
01-20-2007, 04:16 PM
I agree that is is different for girls. Now, I still put my DS in what I consider 'rompers' at 2, and may still this summer if he doesn't potty train. I consider 'rompers' to be one-piece, usually knit outfits with short sleeves, that are shorts-length, not diaper-length. I consider a 'bubble' to be diaper-length (as in, elastic around the legs.) And baby girls seem to be able to get away with that look longer than baby boys.

SammyeGail
01-20-2007, 04:32 PM
Oh yeah, girls can go alot longer : ). I had a smocked type dress my mom made and wore it in kindergarden! I loved that dress!

If I had a girl, I would probably go as long as I could, as long as she would let me : ).

Samantha
Mom to Noah and Jonas
my 14 month old wild and crazy guys!

dules
01-20-2007, 06:01 PM
Enjoy it till she needs to PT! :)

Mary

MommyAllison
01-20-2007, 07:47 PM
LOL - my MIL put DH and his brothers in gowns as newborns, and again after they were walking (back in the days when they were drawstring bottoms, not elastic). She has told me several times how much use she got out of them this way!

Allison
Mama to DD 11/05

mom2emma
01-20-2007, 08:49 PM
I put my DD in them last summer when she turned 2. I don't think I will this year due to PT but I also think she looks too old for them now.

Bess

lizajane
01-20-2007, 10:54 PM
i think bubbles and rompers are totally different. bubbles have elastic at the leg and do not have "shorts." rompers do not have elastic and have shorts. i think the elastic legs are more "babyish" and while i LOVE them i would only put them on a boy who didn't walk. BUT, that said, i don't ever think it is weird to SEE a boy who is 1 or 2 in bubbles. as for rompers, schuyler loves the "overall" style of one pieces and may still wear some this summer. he wore them all the time last summer and was cute as pie. he looks 5, so maybe this summer would be over the top. but i smocked a matching set for schuyler and dylan last year and would love for them to wear them again, not only because they are cute on them, but because i spent a LONG time smocking!!

as for girls, i think you can go longer with bubbles (elastic legs) but i still wouldn't put a maybe 3 year old on a bubble. a romper, yes.

ETA: we don't have a problem with rompers and using the potty. fwiw.

C99
01-21-2007, 12:50 AM
Rompers are different than bubbles. I will put both sexes in rompers until they are PTing, but my DD was 13-months and walking at the start of last summer and she did not wear bubbles. She did wear a ton of them her first summer, however.

AngelaS
01-21-2007, 07:36 AM
My dd who'll be 2.5 this summer has several rompers (not bubbles) that she'll be wearing. I agree, that if they have shorts like bottoms they can easily wear them longer.

tigeratty
01-21-2007, 08:08 AM
Maybe it's because boys are taller/longer. A big part of it was I got tired of wrestling w/him while I snapped all those snaps up and down the leg! Also, my DS body shape (long torso) wasn't condusive to one pieces for the long term. Otherwise, I loved the look of them (the preppy rompers, not jon jons) and would have used them longer.

Shari

megs4413
01-21-2007, 11:39 AM
DD wore bubbles last summer when she was 15-18mos old. it was still OK....this year...i dont think so.

mommyapb
01-21-2007, 04:25 PM
DD will be 14-18 months this summer and I just bought her 5 Greggy Girl bubbles. I just LOVE the way they look. But I would have to second that if dd was a ds then no to the bubbles but yes to rompers.

jennifer_r
01-21-2007, 10:02 PM
Allison,

I put Adelaide in bubbles and rompers last summer (she turned 2 in August) and am planning on putting Bronwyn (who, as you know, will be the same age as your DD) in them this coming summer.

I can't remember what I did with my DS (too many years ago!) - but he did wear alot of overalls until PTing.

Jennifer

Mom to:
Christopher 12/29/89
Adelaide 8/23/04
Bronwyn 11/9/05

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url] Woohoo! 1 year and counting . . .