PDA

View Full Version : Opinions please about bishop dresses.

calicocat
03-02-2007, 08:51 AM
Would you put your 5, almost 6 year old in one? What is the upper age range?
Thanks!

mattiew
03-02-2007, 09:30 AM
Good question!! I have a 4 year old and love bishops (and keep wondering if this is my last year) so I will be interested in hearing more experienced mommy opinions. I suspect much of it will depend on your individual child as some look older faster than others. I sure hope age 4 isn't our last year.....they grow up too fast.

Carrie

Niki_n_Abby
03-02-2007, 12:04 PM
I love bishops. My 4 yo wears them and I'll buy them as long as we can get them in her size and she wants to wear them. But we are also in the South so that may make a difference. We buy that style dress from Strasburg and some of them go to a size 6 and some a 10.

Niki

Canna
03-02-2007, 01:29 PM
Okay, I have a question about these. I am originally from Texas but live in New England. I have never, ever seen a girl wearing this type of dress. To me they look very dressy - like a party/special occasion dress. I don't know. DD lives in leggings and T-shirts.

We received a short-sleeved one in pink gingham with a cupcake design in the smocking, oddly in size 2T, when DD was born (from a friend from Texas ;)). I have no idea what to do with it, but this is the summer that it will fit DD. For what kind of occasions is this style worn? Since no one here wears them, I want to at least be able to say, if asked, "Oh, yes! These are popular in some parts of the country and people wear them all the time for X, Y, and Z!" LOL!

VClute
03-02-2007, 02:09 PM
Shoot - here in NC, you can see a bishop dress at church or at the playground. It depends on how girly the mom and daughter are inclined to be. I LOVE bishops because they fit ALL kinds of girls (skinny, short, chubby, tall, etc), for a LONG time.

As for age range, I have seen them on girls at church who are 9 or 10 years old. (Anyone withOUT breast buds, basically.) For everyday use, I think 5 or 6 is the upper limit - I wouldn't send a child to kindergarten or first grade in one unless it was picture day. Then again, MY DD isn't even born yet - I may change my mind! :)

Amy in NC
mom to Dixon, born 2/14/05
...and let the shopping begin!

A GIRL (!!) Due 3/30/07

lizajane
03-02-2007, 02:28 PM
if i had a girl (sigh) she would DEFINITELY wear bishops until age 5 or 6. i don't think i would send her to kindergarten in one. but maybe church even after she was in kindergarten. if she would put up with it. i am near amy, so we are on the same page. and no, i have no girl, and yes, i can MAKE my own bishops. if that isn't the saddest thing...

mattiew
03-02-2007, 03:07 PM
>Okay, I have a question about these. I am originally from
>Texas but live in New England. I have never, ever seen a girl
>wearing this type of dress. To me they look very dressy -
>like a party/special occasion dress. I don't know. DD lives
>in leggings and T-shirts.
>
>We received a short-sleeved one in pink gingham with a cupcake
>design in the smocking, oddly in size 2T, when DD was born
>(from a friend from Texas ;)). I have no idea what to do with
>it, but this is the summer that it will fit DD. For what kind
>of occasions is this style worn? Since no one here wears
>them, I want to at least be able to say, if asked, "Oh, yes!
>These are popular in some parts of the country and people wear
>them all the time for X, Y, and Z!" LOL!

I'm in KY, basically you can wear a bishop dress anywhere!!! For pictures, preschool, church, birthday parties, dinner out, running errands, special events (like concerts, shows, etc). With the cupcake smocking, birthday parties would be ideal but really any time you want her to look a little special would be perfect.

I would also buy a little white cardigan sweater so she can wear it in the cooler months. I think you will be addicted once you see how precious they are. Try it on her before she is wearing a 2T because they are adorable really long (and meant to be worn long) plus then you may be able to get more wear out of it (often the hems can be let out). They are cute with sandals too so don't limit yourself to just dress shoes. OK - I think I've rambled enough, obviously I love them.

Carrie

mattiew
03-02-2007, 03:08 PM
>if i had a girl (sigh) she would DEFINITELY wear bishops
>until age 5 or 6. i don't think i would send her to
>kindergarten in one. but maybe church even after she was in
>kindergarten. if she would put up with it. i am near amy, so
>we are on the same page. and no, i have no girl, and yes, i
>can MAKE my own bishops. if that isn't the saddest thing...

Liza that IS the saddest thing.....but if it makes you feel any better I can't make a thing and have two girls (wish I could though).

Carrie

wilelm
03-02-2007, 03:36 PM
I'm sure this is a stupid question--I didn't even know what they were until I did a search--but could you make them in jersey knit as an everyday style? I don't know how to sew and have no clue which materials can be used for which styles.

Sheila

Niki_n_Abby
03-02-2007, 04:21 PM
I'm in GA and you see them everywhere. My DDs wear them to church, parties, playground(shorter ones), everyday around the house, running errands. I don't send my older DD to preschool in them just because I send her in things I don't care about. Don't want paint and paste all over the cute stuff;)

Niki

lizajane
03-02-2007, 04:38 PM
yes, they can be made in knit. but you would want to use a really high quality knit, and not anything thick. i have some knit i planned to use for a bishop or gown for a newborn. but turned out my sister is having a boy.

really, though, if you use a nice fabric, the wovens are still fine for everyday. the style is very comfortable and always for great freedom of movement. a cotton/poly blend won't stain a lot, but i do prefer all cotton when i make things. you would just have to be more diligent about stains with all cotton.

BeachBum
03-03-2007, 08:19 AM
Where I live girls stop wearing them for "everyday" around age four, but still wear them to church as 1st graders.

saoirse00
03-03-2007, 02:27 PM
I have a kindergartener who will not wear them to school, but she does still wear them for church. I should add that my daughter will only wear the short sleeved ones. She stopped liking the long sleeved when she was around four--I don't see any of the girls her age wearing long sleeved once they become school aged either (although that may just be a regional thing).

mapg
03-03-2007, 03:58 PM
About a year ago I showed my then almost 4 year old a bishop dress. she asked if it was for her newborn cousin. I said it was for her. She gave me the equivalent of a "are you high" look. I put the dress back. So I would say it depends on the child.

ajmom
03-03-2007, 11:05 PM
I'm in TX and hardly ever see this style except at church or special events like concerts, plays, etc. Our pastor's wife was still putting her 9 year old in them and it looked ridiculous IMHO.