PDA

View Full Version : My baby is cold! Help!

Jenn98
03-04-2007, 08:48 AM
DD#2 is wearing a cotton onesie, a cotton long sleeve onesie and wiggle pants from HA, socks, and a fleece Sleep Sack to sleep in right now. But when I go to get her in the middle of the night, her little hands are cold as ice. I swear she's waking up just because she's cold. We have our house temp set quite high. What else can I do to keep my little girl warm at night?

snowangel
03-04-2007, 09:30 AM
Each of my kids have a heater in their room. That way we don't have to crank the furnace at night and they are warm. We have the oil filled ones, so they are silent and kid friendly.

Ceepa
03-04-2007, 11:00 AM
We put a humidifier in each of DC's room at night. We do it mostly for the moisture, but the warm mist also keeps their rooms a bit toastier.

Is your DD's crib near a window or external wall? If so, you might want to move it. We also have insulated curtains in DD's room.

-Ceepa

lizajane
03-04-2007, 11:06 AM
is she wearing a hat? that would make a big difference.

what about those little mittens for newborns? would they fit?

ETA: carter's makes sleep sacks with arms!!

o_mom
03-04-2007, 05:14 PM
I would use a fleece one-piece sleeper instead of the cotton onesie and wiggle pants. DS2 right now uses a Children's Place one piece footed sleeper and a fleece sleep sack. We keep the house pretty cold, too(we set it at 62 for the night and keep their doors closed so I know it gets lower than that in there). Even as a newborn we only did a cotton onesie under a fleece sleeper and they are fine .

boolady
03-05-2007, 09:57 AM
This might be obvious, but is she a hand/finger/thumb-sucker? I was getting really concerned that DD's hands seemed cold and clammy a lot at night, but realized that the rest of her was toasty-warm, and that it was because she was in the midst of trying to find her thumb, so her hands were always in her mouth and wet, so that's how they were getting cold. DH affectionately named it "SlobberPaw."

Since she has located the thumb, her hands are never cold when we check on her at night.

mattiew
03-05-2007, 12:03 PM
We have an older home which gets pretty cold at night, we put the baby in cotton long sleeve pjs/sleeper and 2 blanket sleepers/gowns. I try to think about the layers (blanket, sheet, comforter, etc) I have on when I'm in bed to help me judge how many layers to put on her.

Good luck!

DrSally
03-06-2007, 10:46 AM
We do cotton Carter's 2 piece pj's (they're like long johns and fit tight), socks, and a carter's fleece sleep and play. The L.L. bean fleece sleep and plays are even thicker. I agree with pp, that it may be your Dd is sucking her hands and that can make them really cold. DS can be super warm from head to toe, but his hands are ice cubes b/c he sucks his fingers for the less tha 1 min time period btwn when he wakes up and when we get him. Depending on how old she is, I might consider the mittens.

Lilysmom06
03-07-2007, 07:12 PM
My DD's room is cold at night, no matter how high we keep the heat. She has a small space heater in her room, which helps. She wears a long-sleeve onesie, fleece footed pajamas, socks, and a sleep sack. I then cover her with a loosely-woven afghan, which stays on about half the time. She seems warm enough with that combination.

HTH!

Kathy

Also, Target has space heaters on sale now for 50% off. We just bought another one for the attic bedroom, which is COLD!

Lilysmom06
03-07-2007, 07:12 PM
My DD's room is cold at night, no matter how high we keep the heat. She has a small space heater in her room, which helps. She wears a long-sleeve onesie, fleece footed pajamas, socks, and a sleep sack. I then cover her with a loosely-woven afghan, which stays on about half the time. She seems warm enough with that combination.

HTH!

Kathy

Also, Target has space heaters on sale now for 50% off. We just bought another one for the attic bedroom, which is COLD!

smilla653
03-07-2007, 10:45 PM
My answer isn't a clothing answer:

We cosleep, which keeps everyone toasty LOL.

smilla653
03-07-2007, 10:45 PM
My answer isn't a clothing answer:

We cosleep, which keeps everyone toasty LOL.