PDA

View Full Version : Help, my 2-y.o. refuses to wear shoes! (except Crocs)

luv_my_girl
03-16-2007, 08:33 PM
My 2 year old is remarkably stubborn, and she just plain refuses to wear any shoes by Crocs. So we have her in Crocs every day, which is crazy because we still have snow on the ground!

Are there any other good alternatives? Her feet are slightly wide, but tonight I took her Stride Rite and Nordstrom, and every single shoe or sandal was (in her words) "too tight" or "too small". She also complains that shoes are "too big", so I think she just doesn't like shoes.

Arghhhh. Is it bad for her feet to wear Crocs all the time? She just turned 2.

Tondi G
03-18-2007, 05:13 PM
My DS is the same way except all he will wear are See Kai Run Danny Sandals!!!! He's lucky we live in So Cal. He had a pair of crocs that he had no trouble with last summer.... then he lost one at Disneyland. When we went to buy him a new pair 3 weeks later... he happily put them on, ran off and then looked down and saw they were crocs and burst into tears and dropped to the floor. the crocs went back and we managed to find a new pair of danny Sandals for him. Everytime we even enter a shoe store he starts to complain and if we dare put sneakers on his feet he will scream and cry like he is dying until the second the shoes come off!

I think she is FINE in the crocs. If she likes them and is comfortable in them then leave her be! They Do make crocs without the holes on top if you are worried about the snow/cold! The snow won't be there too much longer! At least the Crocs are cheap!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/01 and Aidan 5/05

snowangel
03-18-2007, 05:16 PM
I hear ya. That is the ONLY downfall to the Crocs. They will NOT take them off. This is the reason I will not give them to my kids til it warms up.
I did buy my kids the Crocs boots and they are TDF cute and so so comfy.
My kids LOVE themed shoes. My DS wears his wretched Thomas light up shoes every day. I hate them. He loves them. Take her to Walmart or Target and have her pick out a pair of wretched light up themed shoes. She will love them.

MarisaSF
03-18-2007, 05:17 PM
My DD acted similarly until DH started calling things "Super Sand Shoes" and "Super Snow Boots," etc. Worked for us... maybe for you too?

laretce6
03-18-2007, 05:33 PM
You've just stated the reason I refuse to let my mom buy any crocs for DD. :-) I'm positive she'd refuse to wear anything else, especially because she wouldn't need help getting her crocs on and off the way she does with regular shoes. I hope you find something that works!

Caroline
Mama to Eleanor Katherine 8.2.04
and Helena Grace 2.8.07

hardysmom
03-18-2007, 08:43 PM
2 of my 3 kids have sensory issues bad enough that they've been in Occupational Therapy for a year... They also like crocs, lol... My dd also says everything is "too big."

Down this long road, what I have learned from our entourage of physical and occupational therapists is that, in general, particular shoes don't CAUSE problems, only exacerbate existing issues. As long as you don't think your daughter has motor or orthopedic issues which seem to be worse when she is in the crocs, I am sure they are fine.

As parent, we have to pick our battles.

Stephanie

Melanie
03-18-2007, 09:16 PM
Crocs Boots?

trumansmom
03-18-2007, 10:54 PM
Here you go -

http://shop.crocs.com/pc-54-4-kids-georgie.aspx?reqid=54&reqProdTypeId=41p&subsectionname=footwear&section=products

HTH-
Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

elisap4406
03-18-2007, 11:45 PM
I am 29 years old and if I could I would wear my Croc flip flops all day long, every day! I absolutely love them! I can't wait to get some for my daughter when she is older.

Have you tried the semi soft soled baby stages shoes from Stride Rite?

Annie
mom to 11 mos. old Elisa
Long Beach, CA

luv_my_girl
03-19-2007, 09:28 PM
Thanks everybody! This is very reassuring, and I suppose I'll have to get another pair as backup for the summer. She also only wears pink, so I guess I'll buy another pink pair, LOL.

I like the idea of the themed shoes too...maybe we'll look for Sesame Street sandals at Kohls. She loves that.