PDA

View Full Version : general shoe observation

jhrabosk
03-19-2007, 12:00 PM
To add to the shoe posts...

I was just on Zappos getting some ideas for spring shoes for DD. What is UP with the $90 infant/toddler shoes? I mean, $40-50 isn't bad enough for someone who'll outgrow them within 2 months?

Just needed to ask that question. Thanks for listening. :)

CiderLogan
03-19-2007, 12:35 PM
I know what you mean, completely! It's outrageous. And it's not like they are THAT much cuter than the cheaper ones. However, I'm willing to pay for comfort/durability. After all, I just paid $52 on Zappos for Tsukihoshi shoes for my DD. I like that they are machine washable and seem to fit her well. But I cringe when I spend more than that on my OWN shoes, and I'm going to wear those for years!! I just keep my fingers crossed that DD doesn't outgrow new shoes for at least a few months. :)

Jenny
Julia, 8/03
Clara, 5/06

newmomto3kids
03-19-2007, 01:20 PM
I remember thinking the exact same thing when I was buying $50 shoes for my kiddo's. Then, last year, the only shoes I liked for Lily were $90 and I revised it to "Who would pay $150 for a pair of shoes for a kid?"
I have done the same things with coats also.
So, I am that person, who will spend $91 on a pair of kid shoes. I love so much of the style, fit and conveniences of European shoes that I don't mind spending the money.
Going back into my corner, with my head hanging low....:)

debsterchen
03-19-2007, 02:09 PM
I bought a pair of sandals for DD from Target for $11.99. I saw those same exact sandals branded under the Nordstrom name at Nordstrom a week ago for about $30 I think. So it's not always quality that raises the price.

I once bought DD a pair of Naturino canvas sneakers with a flower on it for over $65. She trashed them on the first wear. Since then I decided to stick with all leather shoes or other long-lasting material and stay mid-range (no more than about $35 a pair).

You're right, can't believe the prices these days for kids shoes.

-Debbie

kozachka
03-19-2007, 03:22 PM
I have spent close to the amount you listed only once, on a pair of Ecco cold weather boots, but now that DS wears his footwear longer I am willing to spend more. Ecco's will go back to Nordstrom next time I am in the States as DS wore his Kamik boots for a second winter this year, and he's been wearing Geoxx snickers for close to a year now. I only buy him one or two pairs of footwear per season, not counting house slippers, so I can justify the higher price tag. MIL has bought DS some cheap sandals from Wal-Mart last year :eyeroll, so he actually has a few pairs of sandals, our only exception.

lenad
03-19-2007, 04:19 PM
I use the same formula as I do for myself: the cost of the shoe = price / the number of times she wears it.

Having said that, I have never paid more than $50 for dd's shoes, but did come close to paying $90 for a pair of Ricosta boots that would have been perfect if only they were a 'wide'. (Luckily, they weren't.)

newmomto3kids
03-19-2007, 06:53 PM
I never thought that the quality of the expensive shoes was better than the less expensive ones. I just really like the styling and fit of the European shoes, combined with the fact that a lot of them have zippers, which I don't see as much in American shoes.
We have had plenty of Wal-mart shoes that were high quality and cute. But also indulge in some more expensive ones at times.

jtamm
03-23-2007, 10:36 AM
I have found some really good shoes at Lands End. DD has a pair of suede mary janes that she has worn all winter that have a tennis shoes type sole. Their summer water sandals for $17.50 also hold up really well... Some of the cheap shoes from other places are stiff as boards... I think you just really have to shop around and think practically as to what shoes your kids will get the most wear out of and what will hold up over time.

-Julia