PDA

View Full Version : HA zippers really worth $36 a piece??

lincolnparkafterdark
04-03-2007, 12:12 PM
wow, I bought some gifts for 2 friends having babies from there and I was looking at their other newborn essentials (we're due in 6 weeks w/ #3) and I really couldn't believe a basic pair of infant pj's is worth 36 dollars.

It's not even about 'affording' it at that price point, IMO. We are very financially comfortable/well off and I still can't imagine spending 36 on a sleeper. Tell me why it costs so much- I must be missing something here. I don't want this to be a hot topic or anything, I am just genuinely curious as to whether I am missing out on something fabulous for my new baby.

I don't really remember much about what brands my #1/2 babies wore- probably a lot of carters and that type like from Babies R Us.

any input on this subject?
thanks,
J

hudsonam
04-03-2007, 12:28 PM
I have several Hanna long johns for DS, and they are very soft and have nice vibrant colors, but honestly, I am perfectly happy with his Gymboree and Gap zippers too, and I got them on sale for a fraction of the cost of HA.

saoirse00
04-03-2007, 12:32 PM
I have to say that I LOVE Hanna zippers (actually, almost all of the soft, cotton knits), but I have always started my kids on them at size 70. At that age they get tons of wear out of them and I feel fine paying 36.00 a pair for them. We are due with #4 in August and for the first time I am contemplating buying them in newborn/infant sizes. For some reason though, I have not yet been able to bring myself to do it. I spend a fortune on my kids' clothes and don't usually fixate on the price, yet spending $36.00 a pair for something that will not be worn more than a couple of times just seems wasteful to me. I suppose it is because I know that there are lots of soft cotton newborn things that are really cute and comfortable that will meet my needs just as well as the zippers will. One thing that is swaying me is the fact that the baby cardigans (those cable knit ones) color co-ordinate so nicely with the zippers; and I do buy the cardigans in white and blue (for our new DS) in newborn and infant sizes. I guess that I am not much help at all (LOL!) I can, however identify with your dilemma!!

Radosti
04-03-2007, 12:34 PM
I just called the Hanna outlet store and they had a bunch of long johns for $10. I was only looking in size 90 & 100, but it's the same stuff, just wayyyyy cheaper. I was very happy to get him the long johns for $10 a pair. I'd never pay full price. I also got him two heavy jersey long sleeve shirts for $8 a piece, some cords for him for $7.50 a piece, a flannel shirt for $7.50. A turtleneck for me for $12 and a microchenille sweater for me for $13. Shipping was $6 on everything.

The way to do this is to call and ask them about the stuff you are looking for (just say zippers or cardigans), then when they find them, ask for the codes and type them in on the website to decide whether that's something you want to get. They are very helpful and will search the store for you over the phone.

lincolnparkafterdark
04-03-2007, 12:41 PM
even though they were, what 36-38? I tend to not mind spending more on gifts because I figure those are things that the moms might not even spend on themselves (like me?). Come fall I might splurge on a cardigan or two from there. I just don't have any experience w/ HA stuff for myself even though I've received catalogs for a few years. I read this board a little and I see it gets a lot of high marks.

I'm interested in trying the zutano brand after we find out the sex of the baby (birth). I'm not much of a boutique buyer I confess w/ two boys I get a lot from ON, Target and Gap when I find coupons, and they often have the special deals where you buy 2 and save (and I have twins so I'm always buying at least 2).

J_B Mommy
04-03-2007, 12:42 PM
I got a few for my newborn (size 60)last summer from the outlets. My husband teased me that our kids were in Christmas PJ's in July, but the kids didn't care. My dd (3) was just happy that I got her a new set of PJ's and that she matched the baby. At this point I'm getting a little sick of the holiday print, but we are now into 70's and only have one that is Christmassy.

I can't say for sure if they would be worth $36, but they are good. They are great for using for mulitlple children or passing to friends which is where I think the real value comes into play. We've been wearing the same long johns for 1.5 years and they still have years left of wear in them.

Mommy Of A Little Angel
04-03-2007, 01:04 PM
Well I haven't actually bought one at full price yet, but I did buy some at $28 and most recently bought some from the outlets at $21. IMO, they are totally worth it. I started with 70s when DD was 4 months (she was at the top of the growth chart) and she is still wearing them at 11 months. So, I think I definately got my money's worth. We just started some 80's, but the 70's still fit. Also, we used them to layer under fleece jammies in the winter. I love how soft they are and how well they hold up through a ton of washes.

If I were you, I would get one on sale and see if it works for you before investing in a full price one.

HTH!

tarahsolazy
04-03-2007, 01:31 PM
In the bigger sizes, I think yes. I bought my son size 90 zippers in August of 2005, and he can still barely wear them! They are a tad bit like capris now, and they will be retired pretty soon, but that's almost 2 years of the same PJs. In 50 or 60, I don't know that they'd be worth it for everyday PJs. I'd use a 50 or 60 as an "outfit" for taking baby out in, too, though, so maybe having one really cute one is a nice splurge.

symesa
04-03-2007, 01:43 PM
Really, I'd say no. I think the Gap ones are great and quite a lot less -- especially when you find them on sale!

jillmk
04-03-2007, 01:53 PM
I think it is a personal decision as to whether or not they are worth it--to me they are. We love them! Every single messy baby stain has come of out them without a problem, and they are still so soft. My girls started wearing 70s when they were about ~6 months old and are still in them now at 13.5 months. They'll definitely make it through the spring in them. They are adorable on. I like Gap, ON, and Gymbo pj's as well, just not nearly as much, so to me it is well worth the extra cost.

jk3
04-03-2007, 02:17 PM
I agree. Once my DS hit size 90 and up he has been able to wear zippers and long johns for over a year and they still look and feel new.I think the most I've paid is $28 and they're well worth it at that price. $1`4 at the outlet is obviously an even better deal for older prints.

Jenn
DS 6/03
& cautiously expecting in May!

lincolnparkafterdark
04-03-2007, 04:14 PM
I mean, I should know that, my kids are what you call slow growers. They wore the same winter coat for 3 separate winter seasons. I guess I just thought that those little sizes would be outgrown so much faster. That does help justify the cost.

Maybe I'll have to try one to see.

i appreciate everyone's input. I really had no idea. of course, I would never let DH know how much it cost. He freaks over the idea of a 15 dollar one piece from the gap, on sale.

Mommy Of A Little Angel
04-03-2007, 04:20 PM
I was surprised as well. Seriously, the clothes look good on them whether they just fit in them or they are almost outgrown. To be honest, DH thought I was crazy for wanting such an expensive piece of clothing for DD...then we got one. Now he encourages me to get her more!

debsterchen
04-03-2007, 04:34 PM
We started with Hanna long johns this year and now DD (4 yrs.) won't wear any other pajamas because they are so soft & comfy. And as others have stated, the LJS and zippers have these great cuffs that allow the kids to wear them on the "big" side which leads to longer wear time. I particularly love the brighter colored ones. Never thought I would as I was not into bright clothing but Hanna does bright so well, to me, it's tastefully different from other lines.

Yes, gap does pajamas just fine and we still use Childrens Place fleece footed one piece jammies in the winter for DS, but boy do I love these LJs and zippers. I also buy them on sale, not too hard to find over a period of months, esp. if you read this board, I just ordered 3 more today from the outlets for $14 each so I suggest you give them a call to try it.

-Debbie

snowangel
04-03-2007, 09:13 PM
No. I am sorry but those prices are ridiculous for pjs. Just my opinion. I have been perfectly happy with Gap and TCP for pjs. My kids grow so so fast that it would be silly for me to spend that kind of money on baby clothes.

And I DO LOVE Hannas! We have lots but I buy big and they wear them a lot. I just don't buy the pjs.

Plus, I like feet on our sleepers anyway.

Maxlee
04-04-2007, 02:48 AM
I LOVE the zippers! I haven't spent $36 for them though, got a couple on sale at the retail store ($21-$28) and got the rest at the outlet ($10).

On a side note, I orded a pair on e-bay but I am very disappointed in the quality - are there counterfit hanna's floating around??

lenad
04-04-2007, 02:53 AM
I thought the same thing. Then I got a zipper on eBay, new, for something like $15 and liked it a *lot*. So I splurged for a new pair of long johns in pink, which seemed to never come on sale. I have gotten them in size 90 (dd now wears 80), planning to wear them next year as well, and they are fabulous! Really soft, really pretty, and show no sign of wear at all. Zipper does have pilling, so I am not sure I'd go for it again (this was a printed one though, not a solid color or striped which may be better).

I didn't know about HA when dd was younger, luckily. But, like pp's, I'd also find it hard to spend so much money on something that wouldn't be worn much.

BTW, I think baby Gap pj's are fine for the summer, but have not liked their long sleeve/long pant pj's. Too thin and too tight.

Piglet
04-05-2007, 08:40 AM
Yes, they are cute - that is undeniable! But, I never felt I was getting my money's worth until we were well into size 80/90s. In the smaller sizes, I liked footed sleepers (we live in Canada and it gets cold!). Now that we are into 80s and 90s, they are awesome! For starters, DS2 is a stripper (just like DS1 was) and I am always looking for PJs that I can put on backwards. HA zippers are the best for that since they are roomy enough that they fit both forwards and backwards. Also, now that I need to put them on backwards, I am thrilled that they are footless. I will agree that the stains come right out of them (we eat breakfast in PJs on the weekends and the latest fave food is strawberries - they wash right out!). Even DH encouraged me to buy a few more 90s a few months ago - now that is what I call a success!

I am excited about putting them on the baby in a few years (and it will reduce my guilt over the price, LOL).

kali
04-09-2007, 02:01 AM
>Really, I'd say no. I think the Gap ones are great and quite
>a lot less -- especially when you find them on sale!

Yup, count me in with the "no's". I love the ones from the Gap or Old Navy. They're 100% cotton with very cute prints. Even though Hannahs are amazingly soft and durable, kids just aren't in them long enough to justify the cost.

Also, considering how quickly baby/toddler clothes get yucky (spit-up, sweat, poop/pee, etc), I prefer to have a greater quantity of cheaper PJ's. In his current size, DS has 8 pairs of PJ's. We couldn't afford 8 pairs of Hannah zippers every few months!

Kali,
Mom to Sammy, born 7/16/04