PDA

View Full Version : Is the Carter's found at BRUS and Kohl's the 'real' carters?

lincolnparkafterdark
04-06-2007, 02:56 PM
vs the spinoff's found at Target or other places?

Just wondering about finding high quality onesies at reasonable cost. I am new-ish here and I'm finding some very interesting brands I've never bought before. I almost feel bad that I had already bought some Gerber and Target brand onesies and gowns already.

Carter's are considered good quality, right? They have the stitched/trimmed edges on the sleeves?

Queensgirl
04-06-2007, 03:34 PM
The "spinoff's" are actually owned by Carters. This explains:

http://www.carters.com/help/bits.aspx

I find the "Carters" brand slightly better quality than the "spinoffs", but it's really hit or miss.
I personally think they're a good value if you find something you like and feels soft.

lincolnparkafterdark
04-06-2007, 05:04 PM
the quality is different, no? That's what I mean by the 'real' carter's, ie, the best quality one.

Although, I just looked at my Gerber onesies and they are in fact hemmed at the sleeves, although the Circo ones aren't. Neither are the Gap ones, which surprised me.

My Gerber onesies ran tinier than the same 0-3m size Circo ones, but the Gerber gowns ran smaller (although the height and weight recommendations reflected that in the gowns).

SnuggleBuggles
04-06-2007, 05:59 PM
We pretty much just did Circo, Carter's (from the department store), Baby Gap and the Just One Year (Target Carter's spin-off) for ds. I actually really liked the Circo ones, especially as he got older- nice, soft material. Baby Gap was good for day to day wear as they were very cute. I never did an "under shirt" layer for ds so our onesies were done for style a lot.

I think that the quality is close enough for the Carter's and their Target spin off that if you like a particulair style of one vs the other then that's the one to pick. For basics I really think that the Target Carter's ones are A-OK. Don't feel bad about saving money, especially on baby onesies! :)

IMO the only thing good about the Gerber onesies is that they were so tiny. Barely got worn here.

Beth

citymama
04-06-2007, 08:03 PM
I much prefer the Carter's found at BRU and at the Carter's store to the Just One Year Carter's at Target. And they're much better than Circo and Gerber. In particular, the onesies and footie PJs - I miss both of those now that my DD is a year and there are far fewer Carter's options!

BTW, take a look at the marked down bins at BRU - they often have 5-packs of Carter's onesies for $10 - DD lived in those for the first 6 months.

o_mom
04-07-2007, 01:40 PM
For the smallest sizes (0-3, 3-6) I found that even the Walmart Carter's stuff has held up just fine. At that age they just don't wear stuff out. I have stuff (Carters and others) that I know was used through at least three kids before we got it and then our two without much in the way of wear because they aren't in it very long.

I think if it is marked 'Carters' it is the original stuff and you can get the same things at Kohls and BRU as the Carters store. The Just One Year at Target also seems fine. It basically prevents people from price matching by having an exclusive brand. I don't think we have anything from Walmart in the larger sizes as the small stuff was a gift.

lisams
04-07-2007, 02:22 PM
It depends. I got a few sleepers on hangers at Target and they were very soft and good quality. I also got some packaged stuff at Target and they were not as soft and the fabric felt cheaper. Both were the same brand (First Years or something like that, whatever the Carter's brand is that they carry).

I really like the regular Carter's onesies for the first few months. They are soft, wash pretty well and the sizing is consistent.

babyready
04-07-2007, 05:01 PM
Yes, the Carter's found at BRU and Kohl's are "real" Carters. They are the same styles and options that you find at the Carter's stores. The "fake" ones are all under a different name. That said, I am not sure if all Carter's onesies have stitched sleeves. I have only bought the long sleeve Carter's ones. But the ones from Target (Just One Year) did have stitched sleeves and we're very nice IMO. That was nearly three years ago, though. Things could have changed.

HTH!