PDA

View Full Version : do you worry about bullies teasing your DC because of his/her clothes?

lizajane
04-15-2007, 10:58 AM
schuyler loves to match his brother and still loves to wear some cutesy clothes that many think are too babyish for age 4 (not to mention that he looks 5 and 1/2.) i am thrilled that he loves the cute stuff and because he is the oldest, he doesn't have a big brother to tell him what is "cool" for big kids. but suddenly i got worried that the kids on the school playground would tease him if THEY had big brothers who teased them about what to wear.

thoughts?

BeachBum
04-15-2007, 02:22 PM
I think you'll know when/if it happens because he will start rejecting the "cutesy" clothes. At that time I'd just follow his lead on what to wear.
Kids grow up so fast, and I'm hoping that my son likes the baby stuff at least until he starts Kindergarten.

C99
04-15-2007, 10:40 PM
I can honestly say that this has never crossed my mind! I do worry that he will be teased (on the playground and elsewhere), but not over what he wears, which is pretty mainstream and reflects his sense of style more than anything else.

P.S. My DH is the youngest of 3 boys and he said that he got teased sometimes over what he wore when he was younger, so I don't think it comes from older siblings per se.

newmomto3kids
04-16-2007, 01:15 PM
Actually, I think the fact that I dress my children a little differently will make them stronger. They may get teased, but they are not being taught that they need to conform to the norm to be accepted. Lily wears some crazy outfits to school and the kids like her and her teachers always comment on how she is a little fashion plate.
So, yeah, I worry they will be teased for their clothes, and his red hair, and her kooky attitude, and our TERRIBLE last name, and the fact that we have a smushed face demon cat, and that their mommy is crazy and that they have a brother of a different color and that their daddy has lots of tattoos.
But when it comes down to it, I know they will be OK. And...they will look cute doing it.

lizajane
04-16-2007, 03:50 PM
smushed face demon cat!! bwahahahahaha!!!

i worry about schuyler because he is SO sensitive... but he may actually need to learn the "leave me alone" techniques. thanks for the thoughts.

and we are considering a sibling of another color sometime in the distant future... ;)

saoirse00
04-17-2007, 08:27 AM
>So, yeah, I worry they will be teased for their clothes, and
>his red hair, and her kooky attitude, and our TERRIBLE last
>name, and the fact that we have a smushed face demon cat, and
>that their mommy is crazy and that they have a brother of a
>different color and that their daddy has lots of tattoos.
>But when it comes down to it, I know they will be OK.

What a great post! With a terrific attitude like yours, you'd better believe that they will be OK!

Liza--I wish my little guy would wear "younger" boy things. He just turned 4 a couple of days ago and he already has very strong ideas about what he will and won't wear. They grow up so quickly....I am sure that as soon as Schuyler feels uncomfortable in his outfits he will let you know that he wants to stop wearing them. I do hope that day is a long time coming though!!

Also, for what it is worth, my daughter had this hideous pair of sparkly jeans that were truly awful--nothing cute about these pants, and she just LOVED them. On more than one occassion I heard other kids make comments about her "flashy pants". I asked her if it bothered her and she said, "Why would I worry if they liked my pants, they aren't wearing them, I am". She was comfortable with her choice and other people's opinions didn't matter to her. Now that I think about it, I could learn a little something from that attitude :P

Globetrotter
04-17-2007, 11:20 AM
she said, "Why
>would I worry if they liked my pants, they aren't wearing
>them, I am". She was comfortable with her choice and other
>people's opinions didn't matter to her. Now that I think
>about it, I could learn a little something from that attitude
>:P

I love that!! What a great attitude and self-confidence. I hope she can keep it up :)

DS won't let me send Dora cups to school. The other day I sent one because it was the only clean cup, and he said "don't send it again, mommy, because they think I like it." He still likes to wear wiggle pants, though, but I'm the one who limits them to home use (he is 4 now).

Kris