PDA

View Full Version : Do you shop for your kids best "Colors"

bisous
04-15-2007, 04:30 PM
Remember in the late '80s when it was trendy to have your 'colors' done? I know we've kind of moved past rigid groupings that tell you what colors you should and shouldn't wear but I had an experience that makes me want to pursue finding the best colors for my DS (and future DD,lol!) For Easter, DS wore an outfit from TCP and he looked amazing! It was a green striped button-up with a white, green and brown vest. It was totally his "color" and now I'm motivated to find and buy only the colors that look best on him. Am I the only one that is so picky? How much does color influence you guys?

TIA,

Jen

writermama
04-15-2007, 05:01 PM
More or less. If a color looks good on DD, I try to buy it. Every now and then, though, I'll try something that looks really cute even if it isn't a color I think will work -- often I'm surprised by the colors that end up looking good on DD.

For example, I absolutely cannot wear orange or most yellows, but DD looks fantastic in them even though she looks great in the same blues, greens, purples and pinks that I like to wear.

Then again, if there's an item that is really cute, but doesn't look good on DD because the color just doesn't do much for her, I'll take it back -- much the same way I'd take back anything that didn't look good on her for fit or cut.

bluestar2
04-15-2007, 06:45 PM
I like choosing colors that look at least decent on DC, and try to buy most pieces in colors that look good on them. They have different skin tones so the colors they look best in really varies. DS wears green, blue, orange, yellow and chocolate brown (and if he was a girl, lavender and aqua!) and DD looks best in pink, red, orange, purple, periwinkle and some shades of green. I find that they can wear most colors if it is the right tone. DD looks positively ill in pastels and most neutrals so I avoid them for her. I find that I get tired of having too many articles of clothing in the same colors, so I buy a range.

Also, I tend to like colors that are more vivid (but not too bright) vs. neutrals and like to mix and match colors on the top and bottom, sometimes in unusual combinations. It is harder to do for boys, especially as they get older, it's all about navy, brown, olive and blue in the stores.

C99
04-15-2007, 10:34 PM
I buy a lot of things in my DS's favorite color, which also looks really good on him. I don't go out of my way to buy this color (red), but I do buy several items in his wardrobe in this color.

sweetpea
04-15-2007, 11:17 PM
I don't think I shop specifically for dd's best colours (brown, lilac, pinks, reds) but I do avoid her worst ones (navy blue, dark green, deep burgundy). She's very pale with red hair and the deeper colours make her look ill.

MamaMolly
04-16-2007, 08:40 AM
I just noticed this with DD. I was looking at her in her Easter photo wearing a beautiful Feltman Bros. pale, pale pink dress, and the color is soooo not good for her. Sigh.

I also cannot wear yellows and tend to shy away from greens as well but DD looks great in both colors. So I guess the answer is yes, I do tend to shop for 'her' colors and have been suprised by what they are a few times! ;)

Piglet
04-16-2007, 09:57 AM
Sort of - I have a few motivations when buying clothes for my kids:

1) matches a lot of stuff in the closet
2) DS1 will actually wear (he is nearing 6 and is developing an opinion on what he likes and doesn't like)
3) can be used by DS2 (and possibly DC3), so quality and color play into that equation.

I like dressing DS1 a bit preppy - my favourite look on him is rugby shirts right now. I personally like how he looks in blue, which also fits the other criteria. His favourite colour is orange, so I do buy some orange for his benefit. The problem is that DS2 looks good in different colours than DS1, so if I want to pass down some clothes, I have to sacrifice the colour choice. Ironically, DS2 looks great in orange, so all the pieces that I cringed at buying for DS1 are actually a great fit for DS2!

Masik
04-16-2007, 10:31 AM
Yes, I do.
DS looks great in anything blue, turquoise and bold red. I try to avoid brown, except chocolate brown. I guess I subconsciously choose colors I like on me for him :D... But all of my boys, including DH look great in anything blue! And not a lot of people look great in blues, including royal blue, navy and aqua...
Marina, mom to sweet baby Daniel (02/01/2006)

bisous
04-16-2007, 10:37 AM
See, I think it is great that you guys know your children so well that you instinctively know which colors to buy. I'm all motivated now to get out some "swatches" and do a color drape, lol. The sad thing is that I have coordinated DS clothes around a navy, red, and white theme pretty much from his birth and now I'm realizing that navy might not be his best color! I think it is particularly hard when you are used to looking for certain colors that are good on you that you overlook what looks best on the child. I'm not in a position to go out and buy a whole new wardrobe but I'll be looking at browns and greens from now on! I'm finding this board is just TOO much fun.

04-16-2007, 06:23 PM
I absoluely shop based on my children's coloring. DS looks good in bold colors-especially greens, yellows and oranges. He also looks great in most shades of blue because they accent his bright blue eyes. However, neutral colors (whites, creams, tans, pastels)do not flatter him at all and I don't buy them in shirts much any more. The jury is still out on red. I love it, but I'm not sure it works on DS.

My DD currently has auburn hair (she's not yet 3 months so it might all fall out.) Most of her clothes were gifts and I've been surprised by what colors work for her. I was never a big fan of pastels and rejoiced that they didn't flatter DS, but they are DD's best colors. I whined about all the pink out there, and bought a rainbow of colors only to discover that I almost exclusively reach for the pale pink and rosy shades in her wardrobe. Purpole and aqua save me from pastel overload. But most dark or vivid colors just wash her out.

Christine W

tigeratty
04-16-2007, 09:19 PM
I have always sworn by "Color Me Beautiful," for myself and for DS., even though it has been "out" since the eighties. My sister says I'm crazy when I refuse something red for him because it isn't his color. (It is mine, and it's hard not to put DS in MY favorite color). But he looks so much better in orange than red. All blues look great, and most greens. He also looks good in chocolate brown and light tan. Grays and black are yucky on him. (We live in a college town and the colors are black and gold. Gold and yellow look good, but no way on black.) He has a few things in his not so great colors, just for variety, but not a lot. This was after I had a drawer full of orange tshirts last summer!

I think DS is a summer like my sis! ; )

I think you can really tell in pictures.

Shari (textbook winter)

AngelaS
04-17-2007, 06:05 AM
I try to dress my kids in colors that they look good in. I have one that looks SO bad in yellow but her sisters look great in it which makes handmedowns more challenging. :P

mapg
04-17-2007, 07:59 AM
I don't really shop colors/seasons, but I have found some wonderful buys at a Gymboree store in an area where a lot of moms appear to do my color purchasing (at least according to the clerks). Maybe their coloring seasons are different than my kids (light eyed blonds), whatever it is, it works out well for me. That being said, I don't like certain colors and tend to avoid them.

mom to little e
04-17-2007, 09:18 AM
I do the same thing. I look at chothes and see colors that would look good on them - Ean looks great in blues, reds, yellows, oranges, anything bright. Mia looks great in bright colors too, but also looks good in coral and rose, and some pinks.

I also buy/dress them according to their style (or my sense of style for them). For example, for Mia's 12 mo. photos, she wore a beautiful light pink velour jumper with white peter-pan collar blouse underneath. It was beautiful! But to be honest, when I put it on her, it just didn't seem much like "her." At the last minute, I grabbed a HA red-orange nubby overall romper with bright stripped jeeper underneath to take to the photographer with me. I ended up liking those shots much better!

So, yes, I definitely dress them in colors and styles that I think suit them best.
Maryann
Mommy to Ean & Mia!

sesame
04-17-2007, 01:32 PM
I find that I avoid certain colors, because they are just not flattering. I figure if I'm spending money on my kids clothes, it should at least look decent. So we avoid light yellows and cream. I also had to adjust to my kids personality. I don't like bright colors on me, but on my kids, it just fits. :) However, I find myself wearing brighter colors more now. I don't know if my kids are influencing me, or if i look better in brighter colors since I'm older now. ;)

stefani
04-17-2007, 07:19 PM
Yes I do. I am a "Winter" and I think DS is too. DS has my skin color, my eyes and hair, although not as dark (brown black).

So, DS has lots of red (so do I) and not much brown. I think he (we) look better in deep colors, so I complained how baby clothes were almost all pastel.

I am finding that I am projecting my colors & style on DS, so I wonder if he'll rebel later, LOL! He had said that he doesn't like a particular shirt or pants, and when I showed him the selection he said "I don't like any of them" :-(

lenad
04-18-2007, 09:51 AM
I definitely buy colors that look good on dd. She looks great in orange, and really good in red, yellow and green, so we have lots of things in these colors. Bonus is that all of them go well together so I can mix and match to my heart's content (dd is 2.5yrs old so I am still in charge of what she wears, luckily).

She also looks really good in pink, but there is so much of it out there that I work hard at avoiding it. Plus it doesn't go with her other clothes, so we have very few pink things. I did get her a pure pink HA long johns, and last summer she got most compliments on a fuschia/orange playdress. I just got her a dark pink baby Gap dress for next summer, simply b/c I loved the dress. But those are rare exceptions.

Her socks/tights are all white, and she always has a plain white cardigan for the summer, and a solid color go-with-everything cardigan for the winter (last winter it was Zutano yellow fleece top, this winter Zutano red velour top).

I find, like many others, that the right color makes so much difference in how I look and how she looks that I do work at finding it.

Puddy73
04-18-2007, 10:28 AM
I try to choose things that look good on them, but DD has become very opinionated lately. Her favorite colors are hot pink, orange and purple, all of which clash with her fair skin, auburn hair and hazel eyes. Her lovely green and pale pink outfits just hang in the closet.

Thankfully, DS is still too young to care what he wears!

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/08/03 & Finn 10/31/05

"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane." - Jimmy Buffett