PDA

View Full Version : Special "Comming Home outfit"

mommabear
05-05-2007, 06:33 PM
What did you buy to bring home baby?

o_mom
05-05-2007, 07:08 PM
I would suggest something small - newborn, very small stuff. Even stuff labelled 0-3 mos is usually rated up to 12 lb or so and a newborn will be tiny compared to it. Also something not too seasonal as the weather can change and you never know exactly what you will need. Layers are good, or something that covers arms and legs, but not too heavy.

DS1 it was a Carters one piece outfit from the Hungry Caterpiller line along with a matching blanket. So cute, but we had a cold snap that week and it was short sleeved, so not quite right for the weather.

DS2 was a Children's Place one-piece, long sleeve, very fuzzy thing. Of course, it was unseasonably warm that week, so it was again not quite right.

For both of them, the sizing was way too big. Even though they 7,15 and 8,12 they were swimming in them.

This time I am knitting an outfit. Here is the first part:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p58/o_mom2/BabyOutfit001s.jpg

I am working on a matching cardigan (1/2 sleeve to go w/ 10 days left!) so I will be set for whatever weather comes along. :-) I took the size down to match some of the smallest newborn clothes I had (the items that I knew fit well in the first few weeks). I am still worried it will be too big, but I'm not going back now.

MamaMolly
05-05-2007, 08:47 PM
You might want to consider getting an outfit in a preemie size. Even though DD was over 7#, the newborn stuff was really big. Maybe one in a preemie size and one in a newborn size, just in case your DC is big. HTH

haraldsworth
05-05-2007, 11:07 PM
My dd was 6lb 4oz and newborn clothes are just starting to fit her at 5 weeks. Gymboree and gap.com have clothes that are up to 7lbs and fit really well.

Sarah

teddy
05-06-2007, 01:16 AM
Babies R Us has a lot of preemie and newborn clothes to choose from. I found an all white outfit (knit cardigan, onesie, and pants) by Wendy Bellisim that was classic, very nice.

shoppinggal
05-06-2007, 03:11 AM
My kids need Preemie for the first few weeks - I've done well at the Gap. They have a newborn under 7 lbs size that fits nicely. For my daughter I got a Kissy Kissy stretchie that was so sweet - it had foot covers and mitten covers and the cottons was super soft and wears very nicely. They also have matching hats and blankets. She was born at 6.0 lbs and their NB (newborn) size fit perfectly! They also have a preemie size if you need it. Little me also makes preemie you can get it at BRU and at Marshalls/TJ Maxx.

lenad
05-06-2007, 03:19 AM
My dd was also 6lb 4oz (as pp's), and we ended up using an outfit given to us by a friend, as the one we got (0-3mo) was waaaay too big. So I'd also say get a newborn outfit unless you know you'll have a big baby.

katydid1971
05-06-2007, 05:34 PM
MOL kept the outfit that DH came home in :) It is a cream knit outfit. We took pictures of DS in it then brought him home in a diaper and t-shirt because it was 96* out :P DS#2 is due July 3rd. We will be doing the same thing. Maybe someday my grandchildren will come home in the same outfit.
Sarah

JoyNChrist
05-06-2007, 09:59 PM
I got one of the preemie outfits at BRU too...white footed sleeper and hat, with little yellow ducks on it. So cute! BUT...

DS was 7lbs, 4oz, and quite long. The hat wouldn't fit his head, and his feet were too big for the sleeper.

So he came home in a $5 Carter's gown that I'd picked up at Wal-Mart and almost didn't even throw in the diaper bag. ;-)

lizajane
05-06-2007, 10:25 PM
my babies were both just over 9.5 lbs. they both wore 0-3 home. newborn clothes were too small from birth. dylan was the only baby in the NICU in size 1 diapers!

unless you have reason to believe you are going to have a tiny baby (in which case, get preemie) or a giant baby (in which case, get 0-3) i would go with the newborn size. a gown would be ideal, as you can roll up sleeves if need be for a little peanut, or let feet hang out the bottom if baby is big.

i think janie and jack has beautiful newborn gowns. i got one for my sister on sale- white with lambs- and sent it to her just before she learned she was having a boy. she cried when she opened it and has declared it the coming home outfit. (she is due in july and we expect him to be big like mine. family history of big babes!)

hanaum02
05-07-2007, 11:16 AM
We brought my son home in a gown from Janie and Jack too. Only thing I would caution against that, is when you put him/her in the carseat, you'll have to push the gown up and expose the little legs in order to get it buckled correctly. I, of course, as a first time mama had never thought of that. :-)

Michelle
Zach (Sept 2004)

pb&j
05-07-2007, 07:42 PM
DS wore a very simple pointelle knit 2-piece outfit from Petit Bateau. It was white; the top was long sleeves, and side-snapping, the bottoms were footed. I got it in 0-3 mo size, which fit fine (DS was 8lb 5oz).

-Ry,
mom to Max the one year old
and my girl in heaven

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/37124.gif

hillview
05-09-2007, 07:24 AM
Janie and Jack outfit in NB size. DS was almost 8 lbs and it fit well but didn't last long.
GOOD LUCK!
/hillary

JoyNChrist
05-09-2007, 09:29 AM
My mom also gave me the outfit I came home from the hospital in. But considering that I was born at 26 weeks and was 2 lbs, 9 oz...yeah, it wouldn't even fit DS if he was half his size! His teddy bear is wearing it instead. :-)

Corie
05-09-2007, 01:50 PM
This outfit is absolutely gorgeous!! You did a beautiful job!!

I hope you finish the matching cardigan!! :) And, that you have
a very easy delivery!!

o_mom
05-09-2007, 04:02 PM
Thanks so much!

I have finished the cardigan but I haven't got the pictures up yet. The BBB Knit folks are probably wondering what happened. :-)

klwa
05-09-2007, 06:35 PM
DS just wore a Carter's outfit home. I brought 0-3 months, but at 6 lbs 11 oz he was a little too small for it. (He still made it home safe. :)) He wore newborn clothes for about a month, but never needed preemie stuff. We had about 5 outfits that just kept getting used over and over.