PDA

View Full Version : Need tennis shoes recommendations for playing tennis

kozachka
05-12-2007, 06:44 AM
We've taken DS to a few tennis lessons and he liked them, probably because we both played as well and we had a good coach. He has recently grew out of his Geox sneakers that he wore to play tennis as well as all kind of other places. Considering that it's pertty warm outside now and would be even hotter in summer, what tennis shoes would you buy for a preschooler that would be good enough to play in and not too hot? I don't mind paying a premium since DS wears shoes for a year or longer but than canvas Keds looked cute as well.

ETA 1: correct language

ETA 2: DS has a high rise so he can't wear Merrell Jungle Mocs for example. And velcro would be better so that he can put them on and off himself in daycare.

SnuggleBuggles
05-12-2007, 09:36 AM
The Tsukihoshis are really light weight compared to other shoes and the fabric seems very breathable as a good bit of the material is mesh like (not so meshy that feet get wet when it's wet out, at least I don't think). We have the Child 01 Navy w/ red trim.
http://www.tsukihoshi.com/shoes.html

The velcro on them is awesome (main reason I picked them) as there is only 1 strap and the mouth to the shoe opens really big.

They are my go-to shoe now. Ds has had this pair since Sept. and I will buy a new pair next Sept..

Beth

kozachka
05-12-2007, 11:25 AM
Thank you for your recommendation, Beth. These shoes look great :). In your opinion, do they run true-to-size or slightly big (as Zappos suggests)? And where did you buy your DS' pair from? I am tempted to order them from Zappos as they would end up being slightly cheaper bought from there due to free overnight shipping and would be on DS' feet faster but they don't have size 8, only 7.5 or 8.5. DS still comfortable fits into size 7 but is measuring 7.5 so I am torn.

SnuggleBuggles
05-12-2007, 12:08 PM
I think they run a bit big but he wasn't falling out of them. We bought the size his foot was currently measuring. I'd try the 7.5.

We have an independent shoe store in our city where they have all sorts of brands. They have a store locator on their website that appears to be up to date. :) I thought I heard that they were somehow connected to Stride Rite so I don't know if a store that sells SR would have them too.

HTH,
Beth

kozachka
05-12-2007, 06:48 PM
Thank you for your prompt response, Beth. I was all set to go ahead and buy these cute shoes but decided to wait for after the tennis school visit. And apparently DS is too young for group lessons :(, he needs to be at least 4 years old. So now I can take a bit longer to buy DS sneakers. Does anybody know if Tsukohoshi shoes ever go on sale?

I also like Tsukohoshi Stamina/Child 07 and Tsukohoshi Lightning/Child 30, which are reinforced for running. Any experience, pros and cons (other than $3 higher price for Lightning) vs. Tsukohoshi Euro/Child 01 style?