PDA

View Full Version : tell me about rash guards / swim shirts

kristine_elen
05-15-2007, 01:25 PM
I'm thinking of getting my daughter a long-sleeved swim shirt/rash guard for the pool this summer. Do they work well, and do kids seem comfortable in them? The thought of long sleeves and water seems kind of odd.

Thanks!

Wife_and_mommy
05-15-2007, 01:42 PM
I wonder about the long sleeve kind too. I've always put the short sleeve ones on my dd and now my DS and I love that I don't have to worry about slathering them with sunblock except on their limbs/faces. For me, it started as a modesty issue with my dd and the sunblock issue was the icing on the cake.

I don't think I'd like to wear long sleeves in summer. I get that dc would be swimming but what about the ride to/from? I'm sweating just thinking about it.

Hopefully someone can give a better perspective.

Hth. :)

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url] http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

I love them most when they are sleeping.--Me
http://b4.lilypie.com/HSUwm4.png
http://b2.lilypie.com/UgAXm5.png

cuca_
05-15-2007, 01:50 PM
We always use the long-sleeved ones. They work great. Neither of my DD's have ever complained and they've worn them in very hot weather. In fact, my DH, who is very fair also wears a long sleeved one when we are at the beach.

Carmen
DD May 2003
DD May 2005
and a third due Dec 2007!

niccig
05-15-2007, 04:16 PM
I've always worn a long-sleeved rash guard - grew up in the part of Australia that has the highest rate of skin cancer in the world. I put mine and DS's on in the parking lot of the beach or at the pool restroom.

For me, it's totally normal. DS also wears a waterproof sunhat, sunglasses and is smoothered with sunscreen. I've gotten weird looks from people here, but back home if you don't protect you child from the sun, you get weird looks.

If you don't like the idea of long sleeves, try the short sleeves and lots of sunscreen on her arms.

Nicci

MarisaSF
05-15-2007, 04:54 PM
We go swimming several times a week. It's over 100 degrees here already and DD has never complained about heat in the shirt because she's always wet when wearing it. In fact, it's nice to keep her warm if the pool temp is a little cool. We got ours through Lands End this year.

Love that I don't need to keep reapplying sunscreen to her arms and torso.

Haven't noticed any restriction of movement or water-loggedness either.

lmintzer
05-15-2007, 10:52 PM
I use the short-sleeve ones and plenty of sunblock on arms and legs. We bought Lands End this year, as DS#1 freaks out if anything is near his neck. Most rash guards have mock necks. I found one Lands End style with a 1/4 zipper opening at the neck. Thank goodness! I wish more companies made them this way.

2zeke
05-16-2007, 11:55 AM
My ds gets cold easily. He wears rash guard shirts, usually long sleeved, at the indoor pool where he takes lessons. They don't appear to affect his mobility at all. He loves wearing them.

I rinse them out and wash them (in a front loader machine) every time. I line dry inside. Yesterday I noticed the Land's End one we've had for just a couple months is wearing out. There is some sort of coating on the material that is coming off on the inside. They no longer have the same ones in my ds' size. The short sleeved white LE one we have seems fine except that it is turning a light pinkish shade. He also has a new one from MB that so far seems fine.

Anyone have a brand to recommend that holds up better than the LE ones? We have a whole summer of swimming club ahead of us.

TIA ~

Janice
dd 10-99
ds 4-02

kristine_elen
05-16-2007, 01:39 PM
"He also has a new one from MB that so far seems fine."

What's MB?

2zeke
05-17-2007, 12:14 AM
Miniboden - Bodenusa.com

shburks
05-17-2007, 12:33 PM
We live in Hawaii and these are a must for anyone who lives near the water! Everyone wears them here...except for the tourists!!

DS has both a long sleeve and a short sleeve version and he wears them about equal amounts of time with no problems. Like I said, every kid at the beach/pool has one on!!

My absolute favorite brand is Excel. They are made locally here, but I would think you could get them on the mainland.

If your dc is going to wear it a lot outside of the pool, the l/s might be too hot, but for beach wear/pool/swim/sprinkler, etc, I really think either is fine.

Susan