PDA

View Full Version : What should I use to keep DD warm in her crib?

kusumat
09-21-2007, 02:22 AM
My DD is now 16 months. It is getting cold recently and I wonder whether it is safe now to use blanket in the crib. SIDS concern is only till 1 year old, right? I just put the receiving blanket on her but she took it off. Any suggestions, please. Thanks!

gatorruth
09-21-2007, 06:47 AM
dd is 18 mos old and she's been sleeping either in a halo sleep sack or with her baby blanket. It's crocheted (if that's how you spell it) and has many large holes. She's been fine. If anything, there have been times where her toes got caught in the holes, but it never bothers her.

HTH!

momathome
09-21-2007, 07:10 AM
At that age, my girls all wore the Carter's footed fleece blanket sleepers - pretty cheap, very warm, and could be layered right over pj's. My girls were neer good at keeping blankets so this was a great solution. I know my mother said she just saw some really cute ones at Costco cheap and Kohls, Babies R Us, and department stores usually have them on sale. HTH!

clc053103
09-21-2007, 07:10 AM
I love halo sleep sacks! You never have to worry about DD kicking the blankets off and getting cold!

Radosti
09-21-2007, 08:04 AM
My DS hates blankets and hates Halo sleep sacks. He does great with the Carters and Children's Place footed polar fleece zippered sleepers. I had him in the all last winter and stocked up for $1.99-$3.50 a piece during the clearance sales this past spring. I have them in every size right up to size 5 (he's in 3T now at 21 months old).

For right now, it's still too warm at night for them, so we're using the Hanna Long Johns for bed right now. They are thicker cotton and very soft. It's unfortunate that we can't really use the Hannas when it's really cold because the simple act of putting a knit blanket on him while he's sleeping wakes him up immediately and sets him off crying.

LL Bean and Lands End also make really nice polar freece jammies, but I haven't caught any really good deals on them yet.

SnuggleBuggles
09-21-2007, 08:14 AM
I put a blanket in after 1 year but he never used it. So, we just stuck with layers. Usually a onesie under a pair of fleece PJs but sometimes those Carter's spin off brand PJs from Target (2 pairs for $14!!! 100% cotton! soft! comfy!) under the fleece PJs if it was really cold. Ds' room is super cold b/c of the old heating system.

You don't want to overheat them. What you would wear to bed and be comfy is probably right for them.

Beth

Mommy Of A Little Angel
09-21-2007, 08:43 AM
DD is the same age. She does have a blanket in her crib, but it's more of a comfort thing than a warmth thing for her. We live in a warm climate but keep the ac chilly at night. We put her in a HA zipper and then put a fleece pj over that. She is always nice and warm all night.

Java
09-21-2007, 12:10 PM
Layers layers layers.

DD kicks off her blankets. Even when she's sleeping with us, she'll kick off blankets too which poses a problem since I like my blankets up to my chin. I end up having to scootch all the way down on the bed so I don't accidentally cover her up.

Sometimes DD likes to sleep with her blanket on her face so I make sure she's got a crotched blanket that my SIL made for her. It's getting colder here but not cold enough for the fleece sleepers. We layer a long sleeve onesie under cotton PJ's with socks. I just read an article on CNN about things to help with sleep and keeping your feet warm was one of the tips.

almostmom
09-21-2007, 12:34 PM
Old Navy also has great pj's and they have some on sale right now. I believe the ones smaller than 3T aren't on sale for girls, but check it out. I love all the pj's I've bought from them.

My 21 month old also sleeps with a blanket, or 2. At this age, I don't believe it is a problem (keeping it on is the problem!).

maestramommy
09-21-2007, 01:07 PM
Dora has been using a blanket for months now. However, I don't think she really understands the function because she starts out under it, then if we check on her later, she's on top of it. To keep her warm we put her in a onesie, then a fleecy footed sleeper. Carters has them to larger sizes. I LOVE that!