PDA

View Full Version : photo help!

bubbaray
09-27-2007, 02:35 PM
We're finally having some *real* photos done by a real photographer. She has lots of advice on her website about clothing. But, I still can't decide. And the sitting is this Sunday, so no time to order online.

So, what to do?

Denim bottoms and white tops? All the same white tops? I was thinking polos, but DD#2 will most definitely look like a boy (even when in all pink, people still think she's a boy!). Do I do a white t-shirt with ruffles for her??? Should both girls be in girly white t-shirts and then DH and I just in polos??????

DH wants non-denim bottoms (khakis), but I can't find any for the girls. I found khaki colored cords for DD#1, but not for DD#2. he also wanted light blue chambray shirts with the khakis, but that is definitely NOT going to happen as I can't find those shirts anywhere. I even looked at the boys sections of a few stores (gap, ON, Please Mum), but most of the boys stuff has logos on it. The plain stuff looks really boyish and I'm just worried DD#2 is going to look REALLY boyish.

Or, should I do skirts or dresses for the girls?!?! Or, Denim Osh-kosh overalls for DD#2, with a white onesie t-shirt, jeans of somesort for DD#1 with a white t-shirt and ??? for us????

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. This is why we haven't done it sooner b/c I can't figure the clothing out!

HELP!

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

TracyBee
09-27-2007, 03:02 PM
My personal prefernce is for complimenting bright colors in photographs of groups. I'm not a professional photographer by any means but we've done our fair share of photographs and they've all turned out really well. I personally don't like all matching and all chambray looks really dated to me.

I would put DD is a bright colored dress (bright or light pink, red, etc.), DS andd DH in navy shirts or sweaters, and you in something complimentary - could be same as DD's dress but something complimentary would be fine - like baby blue.

I also like shades of blue - navy for boys, turqouise for girls, or baby blue, some more feminine than navy.

BeachBum
09-27-2007, 03:21 PM
Just to be clear, you are a family of 4 with 2 girls?

I think keeping the look complimentary is good--don't worry about being an exact match. They are girls--little girls--definitely don't do polos or chambray!! :)
You could do the baby in all white, let your DD#1 be in overalls with a cute ruffle t and you and DH in white shirts and jeans.

Or do the baby in white or pink, DD 1 in a white and pink combo and you and DH in white and kahki/jeans.

Remember you want the focus on you guys--not the clothes. Just keep it simple--and something that you would wear for another occasion--you do want to look like you.

bubbaray
09-27-2007, 03:46 PM
Thanks! no DS here, all girls, LOL!

Hmmm, complimentary colors. I like the sound of that. Hmmmm.

I don't particularly like the all chambray look either. DH's idea!

Melissa

bubbaray
09-27-2007, 03:47 PM
Yup, family of 4, 2 girls.

Well, pink I can do. That's my problem -- basically all their clothes are pink or versions thereof. Or patterned, but we don't want to do patterned for these photos.

I'm going to try to get to the store tonight by myself after DH gets home. I can't think with kids in tow!

Melissa

bubbaray
09-27-2007, 03:49 PM
Should we all be in similar style bottoms -- ie, all in pants??

Or, could the girls be in skirts in the same fabric (denim or khaki) as our bottoms?? Could the baby be in denim overalls??

TIA

Melissa

TracyBee
09-27-2007, 05:21 PM
Sorry - for some reason I thought there was a DS. I even attempted to double checked your siggie - I'm losing my mind!

I'd stick with the same color family. If you and DH are wearing jeans - girls could wear any kind of denim, too - skirt, jeans, overalls, etc.

If you and DH are wearing khakis - girls can wear khakis or any kind of tan or brown bottoms, overalls, skirts, jumper, etc.

They can still match even if they're not exactly the same.

Wife_and_mommy
09-27-2007, 08:11 PM
From what I've read if you/DH are wearing like outfits, you can put the baby in an all white and dd1 in similar to you/dh or like the baby. I'd probably be easier to do like you/dh for dd1. If you can swing the baby's bottom matching too then go for it.

hth.

I love them most when they are sleeping.--Me
http://b4.lilypie.com/HSUwm4.png http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif

http://b2.lilypie.com/pXphm4.png http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

jacksmomtobe
09-27-2007, 09:03 PM
I don't think I would go with white tops if DD#2 won't look enough like a girl. I think you can probably find subtle outfits that compliment each other as others have suggested without having the pictures be about the outfits. For my Holiday pics last year I had a classic flower print dress for dd and ds wore a rollneck sweater in a olive green that matched the greenery on the flowers and khaki colored corduroy pants. We weren't in the photos but you could find some simple dresses for the girls and then have you & your husband coordinate in subtler outfits. I think the white/denim scheme (sp?) works better for a group with older kids. Maybe even a simple solid dress with some detail coming from the style especially with dd #2 being young I think this could be really sweet. Sorry my suggestions aren't more specific.

lenad
09-28-2007, 04:18 AM
Dd has looked like a boy for a very long time (short hair), soooo ... I have found three things that work to make her look girly: frilly top, skirt, something in her hair (best are barrettes if that works). Skirts usually don't work on little babies unless they are very full, so fall nicely when they sit down and don't bunch up.

Color wise, whatever works well in real life, works well in pictures. That's what I find. I personally don't like busy patterns in general, but esp. in picts, I think one can't see the kid for the pattern (this is my impression from looking at kids in head-to-toe Oilily-type outfits).

lizajane
09-28-2007, 09:02 AM
dress the kids in your fav outfits for them and dress yourself in something you love. don't wear anything that clashes, but don't worry so much about matching. just wear clothes that make you feel (and look!) great.

CiderLogan
09-28-2007, 12:15 PM
Our family is the same as yours with 2 girls. What we did for pictures last year that I loved:
The girls were in matching casual Gymboree outfits (striped leggings with dark pink smocked swing tops). DH and I wore black shirts and jeans.

I LOVED this combo because the pics were outside, so DH and I kind of blended with the background and the girls really stood out in the middle. Plus, the pink celebrated their girliness. :) I also liked it because it looked neutral enough for our general family photo but also was somehow a bit holiday-ish for me with the fuschia (we used it for our Christmas cards).

The best part is that we didn't all look matchy-matchy, but their outfits being the same and our outfits being the same brought some cohesion to the picture. And it's easy to find black/jeans for the adults at home and matching stuff for your girls anywhere!

-J (Mama to two amazing girls, ages 1 and 4)

lmintzer
09-28-2007, 03:44 PM
We've done professional photos a few times. One time we all did light blue shirts and khackis. But mine was a sweater--totally different style, just same color. We also changed into black shirts and jeans during that shoot.

For a larger family portrait, we've done the boys/men in polo shirts of various shades of blue and the girls/women in various shades of pink. All with khacki bottoms. Coordinated without being super matchy.

For the other side of the family, the adults wore brown sweaters and jeans and my boys wore cream/natural cable knit sweaters with a shirt peaking out the top with just a little bit of pattern.

We're actually doing some this Sunday--trying something less formal/more contemporary. We will be taking informal shots on our bed and (we have a very cool piece of artwork in the background). We are all wearing different shades of aqua, brown, and tan. Nobody is wearing the same style, but it all coordinates nicely.

It really depends on the look you are going for. Do you want something more classic/formal? More casual/contemporary? A lot of the "contemporary" photographers who don't pose as much recommend brightly-colored fun clothing (and even patterns at times). The more classic photographers do more posed shots and recommend that everyone wear the same color.

Let us know what you decide! I'm sure they'll turn out great either way.

And definitely don't put your little dd in a polo shirt. Do something more feminine. You'll be happier with end result, I think.

lmintzer
09-28-2007, 03:44 PM
duplicate post

Tondi G
09-28-2007, 04:43 PM
I would do solid white, blue or pink dresses for the girls and white or blue shirts and khakis for you and DH!

If you go with shirts and khakis for the girls I would pick shirts that are obviously girly... frilly or with a little bow on it!

http://www.oldnavy.com/browse/product.do?cid=37213&pid=507094&scid=507094012

http://www.oldnavy.com/browse/product.do?cid=37213&pid=507086&scid=507086002

This is the reason we haven't had professional pics done yet either. I can't decide what all of us should wear. We all look better in different colors! Since I have boys I am lucky that I do look good in blue so it may just be blue shirts for us!

Good Luck and have FUN!

bubbaray
09-28-2007, 07:48 PM
I've given up. Really, this is TOOOOOO hard and so not fun. :(

No polos. I couldn't find one for me (though I suppose I could wear a mens S). The ones I found for DH looked horrid on him. I guess white isn't his color? I found one for DD#1 and even with her long blonde hair, it just didn't look girly enough.

So, we're going with plain white long sleeved t-shirts. Should be easy, right? Apparently not. The girls are done (thank goodness for Old Navy). I was looking for a v-neck for me, gave up and now have a crewneck that I think is too sheer.

I will have been to the mall FOUR times in 24 hrs. Once with a screaming infant, once to go back and pick up everything I put on hold throughout the mall, another time to go back and RETURN everything I purchased that had been on hold, and now I have to go again and try to find something not so sheer for me.

Photos suck. Next time, we'll all wear bathrobes.

Melissa

lmintzer
09-28-2007, 08:14 PM
Melissa,
Don't worry about yours being the same! It's really okay.

For something simple/basic, you could try JJill (if you have one in your mall):

http://www.jjill.com/ShopJJillDetail.asp?a=OL&sz=3&itemid=619436&d=14&absPage=1&OfferID=IV&ItemCatDesc=knit%2btops%2b%2526%2btees&sc=143&ItemSubCatDesc=3%252F4%252D%2b%2526%2blong%252Dsle eved

http://www.jjill.com/ShopJJillDetail.asp?a=OL&sz=3&itemid=617451&d=14&absPage=1&OfferID=IU&ItemCatDesc=knit%2btops%2b%2526%2btees&sc=143&ItemSubCatDesc=3%252F4%252D%2b%2526%2blong%252Dsle eved

Don't panic. Any whit shirt will be fine!!

lmintzer
09-28-2007, 08:14 PM
Melissa,
Don't worry about yours being the same! It's really okay.

For something simple/basic, you could try JJill (if you have one in your mall):

http://www.jjill.com/ShopJJillDetail.asp?a=OL&sz=3&itemid=619436&d=14&absPage=1&OfferID=IV&ItemCatDesc=knit%2btops%2b%2526%2btees&sc=143&ItemSubCatDesc=3%252F4%252D%2b%2526%2blong%252Dsle eved

http://www.jjill.com/ShopJJillDetail.asp?a=OL&sz=3&itemid=617451&d=14&absPage=1&OfferID=IU&ItemCatDesc=knit%2btops%2b%2526%2btees&sc=143&ItemSubCatDesc=3%252F4%252D%2b%2526%2blong%252Dsle eved

Don't panic. Any whit shirt will be fine!!

WhiteIris
09-28-2007, 09:02 PM
So sorry you're stressed out over this! I feel your pain. But remember: if you do this in a total panic you'll end up HATING the photos - you'll look at them and remember the hell you went through getting everyone dressed. Could you postpone the shoot until you have had more time to think it through?

You have had some great suggestions from other moms. I'd also suggest looking online or at the photographer's studio at some galleries of family portraits. Think about which ones you like the most and why. And steal their ideas! Here's a suggestion: why not go half-way - go for a basic look based around, say, jean/khakis and white shirts, but mix it up. Say with a pink outfit for your DD. Remember: it's like interior decorating - if it's too matchy-matchy it can look too staged if that's not your family's style. Good luck!!

bubbaray
09-29-2007, 10:58 PM
I love that first shirt! Why can't I find one like that? We don't have JJill here (I'm in Canada). The shirt I got is a lot like the 2nd one.

Thanks! I'll check out JJill and maybe order something for the next set of photos!

Melissa

bubbaray
09-29-2007, 11:02 PM
Well, this sitting is just for our Christmas photos/cards. We are going to use the same photographer (a local mom I met at our MOMS group) for some better photos, hopefully with our dog too -- outdoors, so we will have more clothing options.

Its so hard because we all look good in different colors. The girls and I all look good in pink, so maybe I'll go with that. DH would faint if I asked him to wear pink. :)

So, we'll do the jeans and white t-shirts (the girls both have puff sleeves) this time. I am also taking a 2nd outfit for the girls, khaki cords for DD#1 and a khaki cord jumper for DD#2, they can wear with the white t-shirts. We'll see what the photographer says. Maybe she can fit in a few shots just of the girls.

Thanks again!
Melissa