PDA

View Full Version : keeping baby's feet warm in winter -- are shoes necessary?

maylips
10-01-2007, 03:43 PM
For all of us first-time moms who get confused very easily (okay, so that might be just me, but I'm still posting)...

When do babies need shoes? When it turns cold? When they start crawling? Walking? Pulling up? Or is it just for asthetic reasons when they are under 1 year old -- to make the outfit look "complete?"

And to add to the question, do Robeez even stay on? I have the hardest time keeping socks on my DD - I would hate to pay $30 for shoes that won't stay on too. What about Hanabear? I like their changing ribbons idea -- one pair of shoes, different ribbons to put in shoes based on what child is wearing. Do they stay on as well?

If you buy those shoes, do you put socks on under them? (I'm assuming you would, but I'm hoping no questions are stupid on this board!) And again, found any socks that stay on babies? We have some Carter's that my mom found, but that's been it.

Would love to hear feedback from those that have been there, done that. Thanks!

trumansmom
10-01-2007, 04:30 PM
I had a very difficult time finding socks that stayed on for either child. The ones other people would swear by never worked for us. I live in South Dakota, so foot coverings were a must. We did use Robeez and Bobux, and they both stayed on quite nicely. However, when the kids were still small enough to be in the carrier, I just put socks on and tucked a polar fleece blanket over them. We weren't outside all that long, so I felt comfortable that this was enough. By the time they were out of it, I was much more vigilant about Robeez, socks, and sometimes another layer on their legs for when their pants would inevitably ride up.

Good luck!
Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

rgors
10-01-2007, 06:02 PM
I can't answer about the shoes (we just wore Robeez for the first time today -- and they did stay on with some socks underneath), but regarding socks... I've had pretty good luck. The key is to find socks that are elastic around the ankle AND roll over, preferably double roll. I have some BRU generic socks which stay on really well -- they roll over once. I have Hanna "best" socks which are thick and roll over and have adorable dots on the bottom -- those stay on GREAT (but are $6 a pair). They also pill and look dirty much faster than I would like for $6 socks! I have noticed that Old Navy has packs of different colored socks for $9 which are all rollover-style -- so I was going to try those next.

Any socks I have for DD that DON'T rollover on the ankle, come off in a matter of minutes. Those are just a waste. Well, the Trumpette socks stay on pretty well -- but they do eventually come off, but they at least last a few hours. The rollover socks, however, almost never come off DD (never say never).

gatorruth
10-01-2007, 06:57 PM
I agree with pp- Old Navy's triple roll socks (8 pair for $10, I think) and robeez stay on well. The robeez are good for crawlers to keep the socks cleaner and good for walkers just starting out how to walk-- and for a while after. I had the target robeez knock offs- don't waste your money. Go for the robeez!

HTH!

Tondi G
10-01-2007, 09:28 PM
LOVE Robeez! They keep the socks on and keep the tootsies warm! Other Robeez style shoes that are decent are Bobux, Isabootie... I believe the seller on ebay Shoeszoo are good too!

I had 2 pairs in each size from 0-6, 6-12, 12-18. I had a neutral color (cream with brown dogs and then a brighter pair blue with dolphins and I was always able to put something on that went well with his clothes!).

For socks we were always happy with Old Navy and Gap triple roll socks!

Good Luck

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/01 and Aidan 5/05

luvsviola
10-01-2007, 09:50 PM
DD is 8 months old. I am ashamed to admit that we have 5 pairs of Robeez in her current size. They are FABULOUS. They do not fall off ever--even through her pulling at them, crawling, and naps. You put them on in the morning and take them off at bedtime.

I use the Old Navy socks under them. I buy them from ShoeBuy.com, which has free shipping and often runs deals on MSN during the weekends for 20% off.

I cannot recommed Robeez highly enough. They are worth the $30 to me.

DrSally
10-02-2007, 01:26 PM
Robeez definitely stay on. I put socks on underneith. I find that Target's Robeez knockoffs are very good too. For really cold days, we found a pair of old navy soft soled booties that had a velcro close and sherpa lining. They were nice and toasty just for keeping feet warm while going out. I also found Robeez knockoffs at BRU that were Sherpa lined.

ETA: I was at Target today and saw several pair of sherpa lined soft boots in both the shoe section (endcap) and baby aisle (by the knock off robeez).

mimieliza
10-02-2007, 06:43 PM
We used Robeez to keep her socks on. The 0-6 month size didn't start to fit until she was about 10 weeks old. Prior to that her socks just fell off all the time.

Melanie
10-02-2007, 06:56 PM
Robeez (or the like) keep the socks on! We started with them when Ds was crawling and he'd crawl out of his socks. I also did Hanna moccasins or "First Socks" with Dd. She was very 'kicky' and active so I just basically put things on her feet that were as non-restrictive as possible, to keep them warm.

hillview
10-02-2007, 07:07 PM
Highly HIGHLY recommend Zutano fleece booties. DS #1 used them and they stay on, are warm, and don't leave ankle marks. No shoes required IMHO til they are walking or just about to.
/hillary

lenad
10-03-2007, 04:47 AM
My dd lived in footed sleepers until she was 6 months old, so we didn't use any socks at all (and it was winter and we were in Chicago). Then we got Robeez which worked great. Next size up we got Shoeszoo (eBay, about 1/2 price of Robeez including shipping), and they held up great. Then she started walking (and things got reeeeally complicated, but you'll get there soon enough).

I think Hanabear shoes are adorable, but don't know if they would hold up the socks as well as Robeez. Zutano booties seem really cute to me (they weren't around for us). I also love Hanna mocs for home--socks and shoes in one, stay up, easy on/off.