PDA

View Full Version : When did your DC learn to button his/her pants?

iujen94
10-02-2007, 07:04 PM
I've struggled to find pants for my almost 4yo DS this fall - I like plain, plain, plain khakis, and finding non-cargo, non-carpenter plain khakis is almost impossible! I found the Schoolboy Chinos at Old Navy, but they are button close instead of snap (or just elastic waist pull-up type pants). Just curious if he might be able to do the button himself soon or if I'm just begging to torture his preschool teachers by sending him to school in pants he can't fasten. He's pretty good at buttoning shirts, but the thicker fabric on the pants seems to be tripping him up. Just wondered when others' DCs mastered buttoning pants? Thanks!

nfowife
10-02-2007, 07:23 PM
When I taught first grade it was very common for me to have to unbutton and rebutton pants for bathroom use in the beginning of the year.

trumansmom
10-02-2007, 07:33 PM
DS will be 6 next month. He can do the slide closures and some snaps, but still has problems with the buttons. Eleanor, on the other hand, has been able to do them for a while. I think it varies a lot from kid to kid.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

octmom
10-02-2007, 08:21 PM
My DS is about two weeks older than yours and I haven't bothered trying button-up pants for him. I found some quite plain, all elastic-waist, Circo brand khakis at Target recently. They are not cargos, but the pockets (at the top) have stitching that shows on the outside. The only other all-elastic pants I have found so far were from The Children's Place and another type from Target, but they were both cargo-style. I believe that folks here have recommended the Land's End climber pants before, but I haven't bought any of those yet. I don't think they have a button, but they may have a plastic clip at the waist.

HTH!

Jerilyn
DS, 10/03
DD, 3/06

brittone2
10-03-2007, 01:36 PM
DS is 3.5 and can button his Polos. He hasn't had many pants over the summer w/ buttons, so we'll see if he can do his pants this fall.

Niki_n_Abby
10-03-2007, 01:54 PM
I get the Lands End jeans and khakis(very plain chinos or the uniform style). They have an adjustable waist and while they do either button or snap, my DD just pulls them on and off. The adjustable waist is wonderful for fit and acts like an elastic waist so she never has to undo the pants.

Niki