PDA

View Full Version : Is this just 'too much' for a 1st birthday outfit?

Happy 2B mommy
10-08-2007, 06:06 PM
I am planning on a ladybug themed 1st bday party for DD. I've been looking for a dress/jumper with ladybugs on it in her size and I still haven't found anything. There are a few possibilities on Ebay, but again, nothing in her size (12-18 month) and I'm not sure I want to hem, take in etc (I'm not much of a seamstress)

Today at Target I found a ladybug costume that would work for both Halloween and maybe for her bday. It has a black velour tank bodice and a simple red skirt with black polka dots. (It's not on the Target website, or I'd post a link) While I love it for a costume and I think it's definitely cute, I'm not sure about her wearing it for her Bday - the skirt is a shiny, silky poly that I'm not crazy about.

My questions are:

1) Is it 'too much theme' if DD wears lady bug clothing for her Birthday party?
2) Is it weird if I can't find a dress/jumper to have her wear the ladybug costume/dress?
3) What did your dc wear for his/her first bday party?
4) Has anyone seen ladybug clothing that isn't summery (Bday is 2nd weekend in Nov and we live in WI, so I need something appropriate for fall/winter)h

Input is greatly appreciated

10-08-2007, 06:52 PM
What about this top? It's not dressy, and its really brightly colored but I think its adorable for a little girl.

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=35932&pid=523199&scid=523199032

HTH,

Christine W
mom to John 11.19.05 and Kate 1.25.07

citymama
10-08-2007, 10:10 PM
That is such a great top! To the OP, I would recommend getting that - how perfect for a ladybug themed party! First birthdays are so overwhelming for the baby, that having her in something comfy like leggings and a top like that would help - you don't want her to feel out-of-sorts or uncomfy in a costume get-up. My DD wore a spring dress and leggings for her first and we kept her environment as low-key and familiar as possible. She had a great time and so did we! Happy 1st!

kirstensmom
10-09-2007, 06:56 AM
I think the gap top is adorable. I think the costume might not be very comfortable for the party.

My dd wore a baby lulu knit dress for her 1st bday.

Michelle
Mom to Kirsten 8/02
DS due 9/5/05

Happy 2B mommy
10-09-2007, 08:50 PM
Very, very cute. I guess a trip to Baby Gap is happening this week. DD is chunky, so some Gap need to be sized up. Thank you!

Happy 2B mommy
10-09-2007, 09:14 PM
Citymama and Kirsten,

Thank you for your advice. You both are absolutely right. The costume would be overwhelming for DD and I want her to be comfortable and have a happy birthday.

I just won a simple, red corderoy jumper on Ebay that has little ladybugs on it. It's a 24 month, so it may be a bit big -I'll have to see. I'm definitely going to pick up the top at Gap. It's *really* cute and the colors will look great on DD. We are actually having 2 birthday partys, one just family and the other with friends/kids on the next day. If the jumper fits DD will wear that for the family party (which will be rather low-key since DD is the only grandchild on either side) and she'll wear the Gap top and leggings with the friends/kids one when there will be more going on.

Oregonmother
10-17-2007, 03:28 PM
Darn it the ladybug shirt is already sold out in all sizes online. I called all the stores closest to me and none of them have even received it yet. Has anyone seen it in store anywhere, I need a 2T. I'm wondering if the stores are still going to get it, but have just not received it yet. TIA!

karin4
10-17-2007, 06:33 PM
Alyssa, I'm pretty sure that's exactly the case. Things appear on line weeks before they arrive in the stores. Just keep checking in with your stores, and you should be able to find one with no problem!

caleymama
10-17-2007, 07:13 PM
I saw this while browsing and thought of your post here:

http://www.hannaandersson.com/style.asp?from=SC%7C3%7C1%7C156%7C5%7C5%7C%7C

Happy 2B mommy
10-17-2007, 10:13 PM
Alyssa,
My Gap (in WI) said they were expecting the ladybug tops to be in on Thursday or friday this week.

I'm just going to keep calling and see if they will hold a top for me.

Oregonmother
10-17-2007, 11:10 PM
Thanks, I hope so. We are doing a ladybug themed party for dd's 2nd b-day and I love that shirt.

smiley525
10-18-2007, 10:15 AM
http://tinyurl.com/2sbmvj

I have this in a 12-18 EUC. It's really cut on! Gymboree Jean lady bug dress.

hazel
10-20-2007, 04:56 PM
This etsy seller has a cute ladybug onesie, also available as a shirt in bigger sizes....

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=7395354

TahliasMom
10-21-2007, 08:31 PM
1) Is it 'too much theme' if DD wears lady bug clothing for her Birthday party? - YES. I might do colors but I wouldn't put her in a costume. a shirt with a ladybug and nice cords. for example, when dd was 2, I did nemo. put her in an outfit from babystyle. she was in bluish pants and white top with orange flowers.

2) jumpers are hard to find especially at that age unless you go to boutiques. winter stuff is in also, so dresses and jumpers are harder to find.

3) we did a hello kitty theme. it was a park and she just wore a cute gymboree outfit that one of her aunts got her from the kitty line? she ended up smearing cake all over it and being changed few times.

4) honestly i would skip the ladybug costume!

citymama
10-23-2007, 01:27 PM
Kerri, I don't even know you, but when I saw this hat I thought of your DD's first birthday outfit! Groan, I must be spending way too much time on these boards. Anyway, this ladybug hat by Blabla is pretty darn cute (if pricey)!

http://www.rosenberryrooms.com/145-ladybug-hat.html

Happy 2B mommy
10-23-2007, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the link. It is really cute. My cousin is a knitter and she is working on a ladybug hat for a birthday gift. Otherwise, I'd be tempted to get it.

Happy 2B mommy
10-23-2007, 08:50 PM
Thank you so much for thinking of me. Unfortunately, already won a different ladybug jumper on Ebay. Too bad, it really looks cute.